2013 Ford Raptor SuperCrew build

Mooneywa

Big50 - How did you go about welding the Outlaw Spindle Gussets? Did you tackle that yourself or have a shop weld and then you installed? Overall worthwhile?

Thanks!

Big50

Adventurer
I was fortunate since I know the owner of Outlaw. He happened to have a set of spindles laying around from an F150 that had installed a 6" lift. He had them welded up and shipped to me and I just swapped them out. It kind of sucks as you have to pull the spindles to have the gussets welded. Might be worth checking with a local 4x4 shop like 4wheelparts and ask them if they have any take of spindles or check if outlaw has a set. The gussets themselves are only about $100.

Are they worth it? Hard to say, I wanted the extra protection/piece of mind since I do a lot of offroading in the middle of nowhere at speed. I can say that over the past couple years of Desert runs we've only seen 2 failures. First, guy hit a nasty washout at 30mph (was going much faster but around that speed by the time he hit it) and it snapped the spindle. Gussets probably would have helped and may have saved the spindles

2nd, same guy was power sliding around a turn and the rear hit some soft silt and kicked out. Flew of the trail and on to a boulder field. Nothing would have made a difference on that lol. In both cases, the driver was pretty much over driving his truck for the conditions. But, that's often when most people get into trouble. Everyone likes to push the boundaries.

All that said, you're probably ok without them but if you want the extra piece of mind they are worth it IMO.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

OR2BAJA

Observer
Right on, I am in Vacaville. I run a bunch primarily in Mex but day trips to Northern Nevada are always fun. Let me know if you get an itch to kick up some dust.

Big50

Adventurer
Nice! Sounds good. Also, we run a Raptor offroad club and we do several runs out of the Carson City. Usually 2 day weekend trips of 200-500 miles. Website is in my signature if you're interested.

OR2BAJA

Observer
That sounds like a good time, we run on similar lines although we don't have it officially setup... We do it in Dodge HD's. I am getting some boys together for a day trip the 29th. I actually found this thread looking for a Lowrance mount.

Big50

Adventurer
Truck recently got a wrap for Raptor Expeditions. I was a bit nervous it was be over the top but I'm diggin it a lot. I realize it might not be for everyone. Here are a couple pics from this weekend Death Valley Run. Had a great time with the club. I'll be posting a trip report soon as well. Until then:

15732129138_0425b422cb_b.jpg

15733821337_6bab99e875_b.jpg

15917610951_3da0326f46_b.jpg

15917623841_c58cfb32fd_b.jpg

poriggity

Explorer
Interesting that you have a large toyo tires banner on your windshield, but you are running what appear to be BFG's? ?

Big50

Adventurer
Yep, they recently signed up to sponsor our Baja Expeditions. I'd already spent the money on the new BFG's so I'm using them for now. We have 4 other RSV (Raptor Support Vehicle) running Toyo's and they didn't provide enough tires for my truck. So, being that I would have had to pay for them I decided to continue using the BFG's.

poriggity

Explorer
Yep, they recently signed up to sponsor our Baja Expeditions. I'd already spent the money on the new BFG's so I'm using them for now. We have 4 other RSV (Raptor Support Vehicle) running Toyo's and they didn't provide enough tires for my truck. So, being that I would have had to pay for them I decided to continue using the BFG's.
Makes sense to me.. I just found it interesting is all. Beautiful rig.

Big50

Adventurer
They seem like a nice tire. I'd like to run a set but they don't make them in a 37" yet. BTW Madmaxwell87, I don't suppose this is your truck at the 7:02 mark?

GabAlmighty

Observer
So it's your truck i've been seeing on instagram haha. Looking good! Maybe i'll make it down south one of these days for a run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior