One Spare Tire or Two?

Paul B.

Adventurer
Came across this old thread and had to comment. Is there anyone who seriously thinks one spare is enough? My most regular run is Saline Valley. NO WAY I'm going down there without 2 spares mounted on rims.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Depends on your tires, vehicle, ability to patch the tire, and terrain.

So long as I keep my cargo weight under 5,000 pounds my deuce is technically rolling with 3 spare tires/wheels. The one thats hanging, and the 2 from my middle axle. 6 of my 7 tires have run-flat inserts (the spare does not), and the body of the tire is very, very thick.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I went with 2 spares on my Fuso.
The main reason is if the 1[sup]st[/sup] spare gets used, I then would not have a spare until I get that 'flat' fixed. So it might force a diversion back to the main track if I can not field repair it.
Also experience from a Baja traveling buddy of mine is what took out his front tire would often take out his rear tire also, so two flats at a time.
3[sup]rd[/sup] I don't have to worry about getting a non-normal (325/80-16) tire shipped to me.
O-yah, and two spares looks very 'Expo' :sombrero:

I've had the double flat happen to me too. Two flats on the same side and a broken wheel. Huge pothole that I never saw in the dark.

rayra

Expedition Leader
How beneficial is the second spare? We are trying to design around carrying a small motorcycle on back, along with one, possibly two spares.

We'll be provisioned for tire repairs. Having not over landed our rig much yet, I really don't know how frequently we should expect tire problems and the need for changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what you call 'overlanding'. seeing Carpenteria I have to say if you are heading for the CA deserts, esp around Ft Irwin north thru Death Valley et al, the lee of the Sierras, you might wish you had two. But that depends if you are staying on the trails or deliberately traveling over all those sharp rocks and shrapnel. As a matter of convenience and as a way of avoiding predatory pricing on the back side of nowhere.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
My .02 is if you will be more than 24 hours from "civilization", have 2 spares. If you get a flat or break a rim, you change it out with your only spare, now what? Yes you have 4 good tires but what if you get another flat? Why risk it?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
1 spare

tire plug kit

on-board air.

Adding another spare simply adds more weight that most should not.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I always have two spares. I also have a plug kit C02 tank and compressor. My feeling is not all flats are repairable,and once you are on your spare your trip has pretty much ended.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: YUP, and all the recovery paraphernalia-

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

You'll never have enough "SPARE" stuff-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Iain_U1250

Explorer
One spare, and the tools and equipment to patch / plug and repair. I've driven solo more than 100,000km in very remote areas, and only ever had one spare. I've patched plugged plenty tyres, patched a few and even sewn a sidewall together. One only needs to drive in Africa to realise how some "bush mechanicing" can get you mobile again. If you are driving down the length of Africa with some oddball size tyre, then a spare casing would be wise unless you have time and a fair bit of money to wait for a week or two for a new tyre get shipped. If you are driving something with Michelin XZL, they are classified as "Military" tyres and might not be able to be imported into certain countries. Add availability of tyres to you list of things to research when planning your trip, and make an informed decision. If you think the roads are that bad you think you will destroy two tyres, then why won't they destroy t three or four tyres. Figure out the right tyre pressures for you truck for various terrains, drop them down or raise them up when the terrain changes and you will have a lot less punctures. Most important - learn how to plug and patch a tyre, get a proper bead breaker ( Tyrepliers work) and some tyre irons.

If you driving around the US with two spare tyres.......... :pROFSheriffHL: Two spare tyres for a 4wd used for going camping for a week is just "4x4 bling",

toymaster

Explorer
:sombrero: YUP, and all the recovery paraphernalia-

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

You'll never have enough "SPARE" stuff-

You know you did that just 'cause it looks cool. :agree: When I think about adding an 8th tire to my rig I also laugh to myself about the possibility of an 8 tire rotation. I have two things left to do to my trailer and one is to add a rear carrier to either carry a kitchen box or a spare tire. I figure as long as I'm building a rear carrier might as well make it to be versatile.

TwinStick

Explorer
If you have the room: it's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. A good sidewall slice would have you wishing for a complete spare.

If you don't have the room: a quality tire plug kit, ( HD semi truck or tractor tire repair patch to temp. fix bad side wall slices) & air compressor will be in order.

I am getting ready to order a 2nd spare for our camper.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, you're probably right, but

You know you did that just 'cause it looks cool. :agree: When I think about adding an 8th tire to my rig I also laugh to myself about the possibility of an 8 tire rotation. I have two things left to do to my trailer and one is to add a rear carrier to either carry a kitchen box or a spare tire. I figure as long as I'm building a rear carrier might as well make it to be versatile.

I did that years ago with different tires on the trailer and I had several sets of 33" MTs in my garage, so--

Another reason is the automatic counter weight reduction for the trailer tongue-

Whatever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior