One Spare Tire or Two?

S2DM

Adventurer
How beneficial is the second spare? We are trying to design around carrying a small motorcycle on back, along with one, possibly two spares.

We'll be provisioned for tire repairs. Having not over landed our rig much yet, I really don't know how frequently we should expect tire problems and the need for changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
depends on where you are going, for how long and the how "rare" your size/brand of tires are... One option is to have the second spare not installed on a rim - you then can store a lot of stuff inside of it if its in a space that allows for that.

I like to have two spares - but I've only had to use a second spare once and it was 5 miles from my house on the way home. I have had two tires get flats at the same time before though. A patch kit and compressor is often a better option.

86tuning

Adventurer
What vehicle and where are you planning on heading? What weight and tire size? Easily available tires or some weird esoteric tire?

My 80-series has one spare, but I can carry a second, but I also carry tire plugs and have a source of compressed air. I'm not running some weird size, so I'm totally comfortable with a single spare anywhere in North America.

I'll weigh in with 2nd unmounted spare especially if it is an unusual size.
I attempted to make this point with LoRoad with respect to 14.00R20s (ultrarare in N. America) but he seems interested in learning things the hard way....

Charlie

S2DM

Adventurer
We have a unimog 1300 and are planning on driving it from California to Argentina. We'll be primarily coastal and will have a motorcycle backup. Arguments in favor of one is that every time I've had a tire problem down there it seems there's someone who knows how to fix tires within a couple miles. And we'd have our own ability to do that as well. In terms of availability of our tires, I'm assuming we'd be able to find one but don't really know how available replacements are?

S2DM

Adventurer
We are also trying to come in substantially under our GVWR which should help our tire longevity?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I went with 2 spares on my Fuso.
The main reason is if the 1[sup]st[/sup] spare gets used, I then would not have a spare until I get that 'flat' fixed. So it might force a diversion back to the main track if I can not field repair it.
Also experience from a Baja traveling buddy of mine is what took out his front tire would often take out his rear tire also, so two flats at a time.
3[sup]rd[/sup] I don't have to worry about getting a non-normal (325/80-16) tire shipped to me.
O-yah, and two spares looks very 'Expo' :sombrero:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Six tires also allows an easier tire rotation scheme and longer tire life. The additional small weight of one extra tire is worth the peace of mind also. Some AWD vehicles (like syncro's) are sensitive to different tire sizes as well - so have two spares helps with that instead of putting in a new tire with old ones.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Also not all 'flats' are repairable
Dang1.jpg
So as others have mentioned, repair kit, patches, tire irons, wire to sew-up sidewall and tube (with padding) even for tubeless tires.
The saying "two is one and one is none" I feel applies to tires.
Of course sometimes "two is none":Wow1:
Dang2.jpg

Explorer
I went to a tire shop that services big equipment and bought some really big patches and a jar of the tire cement. Its amazing what you can do with big patches, glue, and a tube. Whether you run one spare or three, you should make sure you are versed in patching.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I went to a tire shop that services big equipment and bought some really big patches and a jar of the tire cement. Its amazing what you can do with big patches, glue, and a tube. Whether you run one spare or three, you should make sure you are versed in patching.

Agree with this, and make sure you have a good air source!

LoRoad

Adventurer
I attempted to make this point with LoRoad with respect to 14.00R20s (ultrarare in N. America) but he seems interested in learning things the hard way....
Charlie

Hey Charlie, not sure if you've been following the build thread here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116121-I-ve-been-doing-a-little-design-work

Because I'm not really sure what you mean by your comment above. Other than us planning on hanging spares off the rear frame rail. The tires on the vehicle are Goodyear Unisteel MV/T 395/85R20; are these really that hard to come by? If so, that might be why we got two spares. If not, then I really don't understand your comment. Would you mind explaining this a bit more, I value positive suggestions.

Hey Charlie, not sure if you've been following the build thread here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116121-I-ve-been-doing-a-little-design-work

Because I'm not really sure what you mean by your comment above. Other than us planning on hanging spares off the rear frame rail. The tires on the vehicle are Goodyear Unisteel MV/T 395/85R20; are these really that hard to come by? If so, that might be why we got two spares. If not, then I really don't understand your comment. Would you mind explaining this a bit more, I value positive suggestions.

Personal experience: in the depths of Baja a rear shock broke and destroyed the inner sidewall of a 395. We aborted our trip (no spare) and rounded up a 395/85R20 XML (used) in Tucson. It blew out in Saline Valley - again no spare.
When we hit Edmonton we bought 2 395/85R20 XZLs.
If you are going to remote places, or even not, with 395/85R20s or 14.00R20s I would carry at least one mounted and 1 unmounted spare. They ARE hard to round up in remote places or on short notice, and it is a bad feeling not having a spare tire.
I apologize but I thought you sort of blew off my suggestion that you carry 2 spares with a comment like "we can order them anywhere" or similar. Maybe I misunderstood.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94