New product

Septu

Explorer
I thought I saw someone with one on here (the first gen - box like). That or they'd had their cargo one extensively modified. But this is more my style. Looks like it would do mild trails and such, and be perfect for the highway and camp grounds. Only thing missing is the stove option (even more important then the hand pump sink).

raysuf

I just picked up a year old Little Guy 5 wide a local dealership had on consignment. Before we found it I was hinting around at a cargo conversion to the wife, but she doesn't like projects. Saw the Backpacker on here before and was using that as an example. I thing the XT would have had her sold on one of these.

luk4mud

Explorer
Those are really nice. I assume it has a torsion axle under it, which keeps the cost down, but also limits its off road capability as far as i can tell.

MadH8R

Observer
image.jpg

In this photo from the camper outlet site, it looks like a solid axle. I tried to go look at it yesterday, but like a lot of places around here, they were closed due to snow.

camodog

Adventurer
I really like this. I hope it does well and people buy a bunch of em. I wont be in the market for one for about three years. :(

MadH8R

Observer
I Checked it Out

I stopped in and looked at this today. I have to say that I was fairly impressed. It seems like a fair way for a guy that didn't care to, or have the skill to do a custom conversion to get out on the road.

It is a strait axle, sitting on just leaf springs with no addional shocks. It probably wouldn't make a difference to me, but I guess you wouldn't know until you got it out and pulled it around a bit.

IMG_8400.jpg

The utility door to the right of the entry door opens to a storage space that runs the width of the nose. An identical door is on the opposite side. Additionally, there is a long, short utility door on the opposite side that accesses the space beneath the bed from the outside as well.

The kitchen space is pretty much as it looks. The drawer system is very simple with plastic child locks to keep them closed when in motion. I don't know if the sink offers much more convenience than a spigot on your jug and a plastic basin, but to each their own.

The rack on the front is bigger than I was thinking from the pictures. That basket has room for quite a bit of stuff. I'm not sure about the roof rack.... probably needs some work depending on your intended use.

Bottom Line: It doesn't suck. On my short list.

luk4mud

Explorer
You are right, the position of the axle relative to the wheels makes it look like it is a solid axle. This is a very interesting build.

Box Rocket

I know that airbags/trailing arms are the hot item as far as trailer suspension goes these days but I don't see any problem with the straight trailer axle and leaf springs on this. It's a way to keep the cost more reasonable. My only problem is the size of the axle. I'm really surprised that they didn't go with a stronger 3500# axle for a trailer that size. I'm using a 3500# axle on my trailer that is half the size and weight of that one and I wouldn't have gone any lighter duty with the axle.

The leaf springs and solid axle might be on the stiff side in the ride department, but I've been able to get my personal trailer with stiff leaf springs to tow and ride extremely well by running a slightly lower air pressure in the tires. I run just enough air that the sidewall aren't deflecting and causing the carcasses to heat up over long distances. I've never had a problem for the past 8 years that way and the trailer tows really nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94