Mantec Bridging Ladders

aluke0510

Adventurer
Anybody know how to get them in North America? Sent them an email but received no response. Alternativly anybody have a good design for a bridging ladder that works well in sand and gravel as well they I can have a shop build for me?

Thanks

emmodg

Adventurer
Find a good a mil. surplus dealer and buy old Marsden Matting. It's aircraft landing mat made of aluminum. It's what every aluminum "bridging ladder" is modeled after. You can usually get in 10' sections and cut it in half. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper!

Drover

Adventurer
Anybody know how to get them in North America? Sent them an email but received no response. Alternativly anybody have a good design for a bridging ladder that works well in sand and gravel as well they I can have a shop build for me?

Thanks
Rovers north

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
I am working on a bridging ladder of sorts, but it will be so much more... I hope to make it to the overland expo with some prototypes.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Find a good a mil. surplus dealer and buy old Marsden Matting. It's aircraft landing mat made of aluminum. It's what every aluminum "bridging ladder" is modeled after. You can usually get in 10' sections and cut it in half. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper!

Marsden Mats are steel, are 16" X 10' and weigh 65 lbs. Allegedly they made an aluminum version but I'd bet they'd be pretty pricy if you could even find them. The steel ones are very tough but I don't think at 10' they'ed hold an entire vehicle in a bridging configuration without bending. Cut in half and bridging say a 3' gap they may work fine. But they are NOT a light weight solution! LOL!

4x4BNB

Adventurer
image.jpg

"Bridging ladders"or "waffle boards" like these can be had off ebay. I believe there are two thicknesses. 1.5 and 2 inches.
I found a company, probably off the expo here, that will make a custom sized bridging ladder for far less than you can find on ebay. American grating....http://www.amgrating.com/default.aspx

I had them make me a 12 inch by 5 footer that I eventually cut down to 4 feet...it fits in the luggage rack above the drivers area off my rig...
Hope that helps....

Oh...came in REAL handy last week when the entire right side of my rig sank in the snow....just jacked up each tire and placed a waffle board underneath and ... Viola

aluke0510

Adventurer
View attachment 211912

"Bridging ladders"or "waffle boards" like these can be had off ebay. I believe there are two thicknesses. 1.5 and 2 inches.
I found a company, probably off the expo here, that will make a custom sized bridging ladder for far less than you can find on ebay. American grating....http://www.amgrating.com/default.aspx

I had them make me a 12 inch by 5 footer that I eventually cut down to 4 feet...it fits in the luggage rack above the drivers area off my rig...
Hope that helps....

Oh...came in REAL handy last week when the entire right side of my rig sank in the snow....just jacked up each tire and placed a waffle board underneath and ... Viola

Thanks but those classify more as a sand mat option than a bridging ladder. This stuff comes in a lot of weight ratings/designs and thicknesses and can be had locally usually for 25% of what these sell on ebay for. It is used in a lot of industrial, chemical, and mineral processing plants instead of steel grating for its chemical resistance and cheaper cost. But nothing comes in a strength to support a vehicle over a 4ft ditch...

Really looking for a bridging ladder not a sand mat. It must support 1.5tons over a 4ft span.

aluke0510

Adventurer
These are bridging ladders....I tested them on my 5,000 lbs Syncro.....

Thanks, again but these are not really what I am looking for. BTW at a 5,000lb vehicle assuming non perfect weight distribution the most these would have supported was 1ton, not overly comparable to 1.5ton (unless somehow you had half the weight of the vehicle somehow positioned on 1 piece of grating over a 4ft ditch. The other concern is how many cycles at that weight in bridging mode have they seen? 200 or maybe 5? When fiberglass flexes it gets structurally damaged and after repeated cycles could fail leaving bent drive shafts, or worse.

I guess I'll be paying shipping from England or South Africa... For a shop to build these out of a high strength aluminium is going to cost more than buying them and having the delivered here.

aluke0510

Adventurer
Ok. Let us know how they work...be very interested to kno :)

I already know these work fantastic. Best thing for bridging if you don't need to bridge more than 4-5ft span. Any more and you have to with something custom anyways but I have never run into that need. For sand they are awesome. The ramp up seems to dig in a bit more than mats and won't slide backwards; probably pretty comparable or maybe a bit better due to added surface area on sand to the grating... Used them in Namibia when I lived there and loved them. My regret now is for not bringing a set back...

aluke0510

Adventurer
I am also looking for the Mantec bridging ladders. I have been thinking of trying these or something like them: http://www.discountramps.com/car-trailer-ramps.htm?CAWELAID=650489292&catargetid=1389811204&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNX8s4q67LoCFUQ6QgodbyIAXA
I think they would need some additional traction aid added to the surfaces, but may work.

I have thought about something like those. Those look like a bit more durable design than most. I don't know if the "set" into sand as good though, as in dig in set flat. The Mantec seem to do well for that since they don't have a wide flat base on the bottom allowing them to sink in and find a good footing, setting... Would undoubtably be fine for bridging. And the angled bit seems to want to keep them from sliding backwards too. Push back on the the angle makes them want to dig down in but the flat top prevents it so they stay put rather than sliding backward...

Would be great if we could find a company or enough people to import a lot of them. would cut shipping cost a lot.

For delivery of one set here it is going to cost about $400. If we could fill a small airfreight container maybe just 800 for like 30sets. A sea freight container well I don't know what to do with that many...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior