FJ80 winch advice, do i need to us my M12000 or something smaller

rc51kid

Adventurer
I picked up a nice TJM front bumper for my 80 and end up getting a M12000 that was mounted to it. The seller was a great guy and gave me a great deal on the package. He had bought a FJ80 with nice accessories on it and was parting it out. Th bumper/winch setup was on this 80. The bumper opening is modded to fit the M12000 and it mounts nicely to the bumper. The problem is that i think the winch is a little to big and hits the body of the truck if the bumper is mounted in the standard location. I think the original owner that set it up like this mounted the bumper sticking out from the truck a extra inch or so for the winch to clear the body.

Originally i didn't think this would bother me. But i removed the winch in order to mount the bumper when i got home. I was working by myself and wanted to just get the bumper mounted up. I got the bumper mounted with the winch in the factory location and decided i like it mounted in tight to the body. I want to keep it in the factory location. I plan on using the truck more for overland and exploring some trails than real rock crawling. Do i really need a winch as strong as the M12000? If i can get away with a smaller winch what one would you suggest that would fit nicely in a older TJM alloy bumper? Do you think it would be feasible to find someone to trade the M12000 to for a smaller winch? What winch would be a good swap, something like a M8000? Sorry but this is my first winch and i am still trying to figure it all out.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I just run an 8k on my 80 and have never had any issues. If I need more, I'll just double back.

How heavy is your truck? On what type of terrain do you plan to run it? Do you travel solo or in groups?

The winch is just one tool to help solve the problem of being stuck. In this regard, I think that no matter what size you have, you should be carrying other recovery tools as well. For me, these include:
1. shovel
2. pick axe
3. winch rope extension
4. snatch block
5. recovery (snatch) rope
6. tree savers, enough shackles, etc. for multi-point winching
7. maxtrax (or some other traction enhancing device)
8. Hi Lift

As for the winch, bigger is typically better for these rigs. Land Cruisers are usually run heavy, with armor and loads of camping gear/spares/etc. carried into the back country. Also, don't underestimate the amount of pull needed to unstuck yourself when axle deep in mud, or to pull over a large obstacle, or up a steep hill. It's amazing where these rigs can go, and that means you have the potential to get yourself into difficult recovery situations.

You can run smaller. Plenty of people do. You are just reducing your safety margin. If you are taking a complete set of recovery tools along, you can use these tools to help make up for a lesser strength winch. For example, you can use a snatch block to increase the effective pulling strength of the winch, use your shovel to smooth out the trail to make it easier to pull yourself out, and use traction enhancing devices for wheel slip or bridging. In a tough situation you will need these other tools no matter what.

Me? I run an M12000 on my 80. Here's a reference point that helped me make my decision...when I was running winch-less, my buddy's M6000 on his 1st gen 4runner couldn't pull my 80 up a rutted steep(ish) hill. I didn't even budge. Took hours of trail work with my shovel, pick and maxtrax, and in the end I still blew out my rear diff trying to gun it through. My bad, but after hours of recovery I was getting a little frustrated. After that experience, I went straight to an M12000. True, an 8-10K winch is stronger than the 6K, and many people run these, but seeing what the 6K could NOT do with my rig, I wanted the extra strength for situations where I might get REALLY stuck.

Still, you may be just fine with an 8K-10K winch, especially if you run your truck light and/or run mild trails. Again, just have other recovery gear as part of your tool kit....and be patient if you get stuck. :ylsmoke:

RangeBrover

Explorer
So my 200 is heavier than your 80 and I run a m12000. My logic was that the truck weights almost 6k dry, by the time you factor in all my armor, drawers, gear, and larger tires, I'm easily over 7k. At that point I would want at least a winch that could handle 10k.

No one ever complained about having to much winch so if you can make it work I would, but if you can't mount it in safely or in a way you're happy with then go with a smaller winch. I would hesitate to put anything less than a warn 9.5 on a cruiser though.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Like I said, my little old 8k has been fine. Your mileage may vary.

If you're always able to double back using a snatch block then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you have to make a longer pull then you might get into trouble.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Based on your described use I'd say 8,000 should be fine. If you're worried, take a couple of synthetic rope 50' extensions. That'll give you an extra 50-100' if you're super stuck and have to use a snatch block.
Also, when you can, get more cable layers off the drum so you're getting the full power of your winch.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
If you're always able to double back using a snatch block then it shouldn't be a problem. But if you have to make a longer pull then you might get into trouble.

I agree with Mogas the video is of a 8000# single line pulling out a Mega cab diesel Dodge, locked, with 40" tires. The winch motor never reached 200°. Dont overlook any size winch fully spooled is only good for 1/2 of its rated capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r5dTsys9cc

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer

It has 150 feet on the spool and if I am on a trip, I take an extra 50 foot extension. To be fair, I have an 8274, so even doubled back it is almost as fast as a planetary style winch on a single pull. I also have an M8000 that can go in the rear hitch if need be.

86tuning

Adventurer
Like I said, my little old 8k has been fine. Your mileage may vary.

To be fair, I have an 8274

Not really a little old 8k lol. 8724 is one of the strongest winches made.

That said, I'm using an m8000 and haven't had any problems. But I take the snatch block out regularly, I like to be proactive and anticipate issues, don't like to react when problems arise.

My m8000 is spooled with 85' of 3/8" Amsteel blue, and I carry a 40' x 3/8" extension. With a 20k+ strength I can be confidant that the extension will hold against a snatch block doing a doubled-line 16k pull.

If you're shopping for a new winch, the 9.5k winches are the same size as my m8000 and quite a bit smaller than your 12k and won't give up that much in performance.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I will say my M12000 is sssssssllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Goodness gracious is it slow. It pulls so slow I wonder if its even pulling at all.

That said, its better than hand winching and I've used it enough times its paid for itself 5093879358730x over. I just wish it was faster. At this point I would sacrifice some capacity for speed.

I'd get a 9.5XP and throw some 5/16" synthetic line on it. Strong and fast.

rc51kid

Adventurer
Hmmm, sell me that M12000... :)

This might be what i have to end up doing......anyone in the southeast need a M12000? :D

Honestly i think i am going to start by cleaning it up, crack it open and clean and lube it, maybe paint the drum.

Redneck92

Observer
If it were me I'd keep the m12000. Mainly due to the fact 80 are heavy fat pigs as is without adding extra stuff to it. Plus you already having, no need to mess with selling, trading or buying a new winch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier