Titan advice

riverbum

Thinking of selling my land cruiser and buying a '14 Titan crew pro-x. My 80 has a full African outback flat rack for my tent, etc. I want some tips from Titan owners for rack options. I would like a rack that will handle a rtt and be able to accommodate the canoe/ kayaks when the tent is not on. I would love to know of a rack option that extends from the front of the cab to the rear of the bed. Has anyone modified a flat rack like an AO, front runner or Eezi Awn to fit on a Titan crew cab?

Switching from a '96 land cruiser locked f/r to a pickup for versatility. Any tips from Nissan owners appreciated.

Jason

Mako1114

Adventurer
Nissan offered a rack that interfaces with the utilitrack that will reportedly support an RTT. I have also seen a few pics of Titans with custom racks but have no personal experience with them. I can say that my Titan is the best truck that I have owned as it is very comfortable on long trips and has plenty of power to get the job done. I bought mine to haul a 28' center console that weighed around 6K pounds; my Tacoma obviously struggled with it. I doubt I will ever own a midsized pickup truck again after owning a 1/2 ton.

Cheers

mike r

Adventurer
I have a frontier with a tiny bed and this thule xsporter works good for me

2012-07-28-12.43.05.jpg

My plan was to have a chase rack built like pics below so I could move the rack forwards and still access my bed easily but after having this for two years I never bothered

291314d1173048488-chase-trucks-a2.jpg

2 E L O

Adventurer
I can't offer any recommendations regarding the rack options, but I also went from an 80 Series to a Titan. I miss the 80, but the Titan is an awesome truck. Gas mileage is crap just like the 80, but the power, comfort, style and convenience with the Titan is superb. I love it!

SouthWest Roamer

Wait just a little longer and the Cummins V8 turbo diesel powered Titan will be out. I think the reports say we will see them at dealers before the end of this year. They also have changed the body a little from the spy photos I have seen. My 99' Ford F-250 7.3 diesel got about 15mpg town and 19mpg highway. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Titan Diesel can do better. My 2007 Titan with Flippac averages around 11mpg in town and 14mpg on highway. That being said, you definately get a lot of power for that crappy milage. As for the rack option I would personally go with a custom built rack. I really like the picture above of the chase rack, but I don't use one so......

skibum315

Explorer
I think the reports say we will see them at dealers before the end of this year.
Got a source for this? Everything I've seen so far said either model year '15 or model year '16 and that we'll see the Cummins truck a bit after the model release ... which I guess if it's at the front end of that timeframe, could be end of this calendar year; but lately Nissan's truck/SUV releases have been late in the model year (example: '14 Xterras didn't get officially announced until the very end of last year ... and seem to be only now showing up for actual purchase).

But, I agree ... can't wait for the Cummins Titan to drop.

riverbum

The information I have read also points to a late 2015 release as a '16 model for the Titan Cummins. MPG supposedly around 24-25 which is part of the reason Ram dropped the engine and went with the VM Motori 3L to get better mpg. I have grown up on diesels in tractors and f-250s but I am not that keen on the premium for the engine and the premium price over gas for a truck I won't be driving daily and racking up the miles. If money was not a factor I would love to have the 5.0 Cummins.

crossbowme

I don't have experience with them but softopper.com has a rack that can still accommodate one of their soft tops. http://www.softopper.com/us-truck-cap-rack-details.aspx

I currently have the factory rack for the Utili-trac but don't think that is available anymore. I think if I eventually get the softopper, I may switch to this rack.

And here is a link to the softopper. http://www.softopper.com/nissan-titan-soft-top-truck-cap-details.aspx

The PRO-4x is a great truck but you will have to make it "yours" for your particular uses. I use mine for hunting and fishing and the occasional expedition. Since I often travel alone I added a winch, bumper and many other off road options. At one time or another I have found that these items saved my ***. IMO you will have to modify your truck to your needs before you take on any long expeditions.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Titan is a sweet truck....I cant wait to see them with a cummins. Its the one single part from the ram worth having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior