Canadian Ram 2500 w/CTD High Speed Expo Rig

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I can only agree with everyone else about this cool :Wow1:truck you have built. But like the previous poster I too would be concerned about the positioning of the shocks. I looks to me like all trail dust and grime would build up around the piston rod and possibly damage the shock. Also like mentioned before the resiviors are down low where they can be hit by rocks and debri. I would like to hear your oppinion and ideas about the placement. Cheers, Chilli...:)

HRT Offroad

Suspension Guy
The shocks are oriented this way for clearance reasons. Due to their size, they cannot be oriented so that the shaft is down without cutting out factory cross members etc. (which wasn't an option for what we wanted to achieve). We have been running King shocks like this for years in some extremely harsh conditions and environments, so I consider it a non issue. If you were full on rock crawling...I would be concerned, but that isn't what this truck was designed for...although it has seen it's fair share of twisted situations :D

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Kevin,
Lookin' good, my man. You have poured a lot of high tech lotion onto that Mopar. This is the first I've seen of 8 on 6.5" wheels of any kind with a 6" back spacing, except custom by Stockton Wheel. Stock B.S. is a bit over 6-1/2" mostly to ease the stress on those (for me) unit bearings. (Hissssss) But, a complete free wheeling hub upgrade with 35 spline outers is looming. Built as an off-road crawling TC, my 2001.5 is at the other end of the 'Burgess Shale' of light duty pickups. Speed need not apply. With the same 3" lift on ours I have room for a max of 34" tires and am waiting to wear out my 375x55R16 (33x15.50) rear tires on 12" wide wheels (so called super singles to carry the extra 2500 pounds of TC) and 305x65R16 front tires on stock rims. I have a pair of 33x14.50 widemo's on 10" wide wheels but they stick out a bit far with the 4.5" B.S. putting again a lot of stress on the unit bearings, way out on the spindles, and change the name of the truck from Cabeza de Vaca to Crustacean. Until today, i thought the only wide wheel i could get had a 4.5" B.S., or the 7" B.S. of the surplus beadlock G.I. HUMMV wheels.
My brother (JR) won the first King of the Hammers in CA in a tube buggy Bronco (mostly in name only with Mog axles and a 525 HP Ford engine). I was part of his remote pit with my CJ8 and lots of fix-it gear, spare tires, and an on-board welder. None needed. While there I met a gear head who was part of JR's pit crew and had a 2007? Dodge SRW 3500 and had new 4.56 gears built for the axles (AAM) and ARB's and I got a fast ride out to another pit in the truck. And I mean moving right along! He just hit the high places crossing the desert. He had to do some fender reduction to get the 39's to take the whoops without rubbing, but it seemed a good gearing for fast with big tires. I think he had the new at the time Aisin 6 speed autotrans. I was impressed.
You speed freaks always lead the way in truck upgrades for us with slower pursuits. Keep on keeping on. Here is my 8 leaf pack on the 35 spline D-80 rr axle, with Stable Loads.

The rig, ready to.....crawl. The Mojave Road, March, 2014.

regards, as always, jefe

HRT Offroad

Suspension Guy
Great looking rig. How about the front and rear bumpers - custom or? What do they weigh?

The Bumpers are by Addictive Desert Designs. They don't weigh nearly as much as a plate bumper, but more than a stock bumper...I couldn't tell you the exact weight :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info HRT. I guess if you are running King shocks you dont have to worry too much. Anxiously waiting to see more pics of that fine rig. Cheers, Chilli...:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier