'83 Bedford MT DOKA

joshuakampa

someone buy this so I'm not tempted. appears to be a (rare?) doka version of the british military MTs. 8.2L turbodiesel, 425/65R22.5 super singles, scorpion arm hydraulic roll-off bed. try and ignore the bumper. $6500 :Wow1:

bedford.jpg

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4322635681.html

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
That is very cool, great find!
Good thing it is on the other side of the country, or I sure be tempted :Wow1:
-
1983 Bedford MT series. This is a vehicle from England, used by the British Military and emergency response personnel.
-8.2L Bedford Turbo Diesel Engine aka Bedford 500
-Allison 5speed automatic transmission 8:1 first gear, 1:1 fifth gear
-4x4, full time 4x4 with air locking transfer case and front and rear differentials
-Tires are 425/65R22.5 super single, includes spare
-Hydraulic rolloff flatbed (great for swapping your expo camper on and off)
-Operates at 30deg side angles and 50deg approach and departure angles
-Four door crew cab, front passengers face forward, rear passengers face the rear.
-Vehicle is in great shape and has been taken care of.
-Currently insured and tagged in GA. Below 26,000 GVWR
-Air over hydraulic braking system
-6 ton payload capacity

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I looked at it when it was forsale by the previous owner before this guy bought it.

It's HUGE!

I did a lot of research when it was for sale before. A lot of what's in the ad is info I forwarded to the last owner.

It is a bit sketchy. It's registered by the vin on the frame that appears to be a military MJ (OD paint showing in places). Basically it's a English or Australian Duce. The cab is possibly 90's and that's where the potential problem comes in. If it's 90's and has a different vin from the frame (and I didn't look) it's too new to be in the states if some DMV person got looking. Bedford changed hands a few times in the 80's and 90's before going away and from what I could tell it was not uncommon for them to replace cabs and if that was replaced when Marshal owned them then it's on the edge. The cab is also custom. They did not come as a crew. The rear body work is over a wood frame and hand made. It was probably at some point a fire truck hence the bumper being like that for a water pump.

It's a hook loader but the tray is possibly cut short...it's 9ft. It has a huge hydraulic pump running off the front of the engine to run the loader. I really considered buying it but passed on it because of concerns over getting parts and operating expenses and not sure about getting it insured. It's probably the only Bedford in the US and parts are going to have to come form overseas. At some point it would make the most sense repowering to some common here. It would be easy since it's divorced transfer case . Those tires are $1k each :Wow1:. It's also probably only going to run but about 55mph for cruising. Speed.

Also I don't think it's titled in the US. In GA if it's over 25 years old they don't require a title so that may be a problem for you folks outside of GA.

It had been sitting when I went to look and the PO couldn't get it to fire off so I did not get to take it for a ride. He also said the loader was not working but possibly it's fixed now.

That's everything I know about it.

joshuakampa

Yeah I did a little digging and came up with much of the same as you- interesting about the DIY cab extension, though. The bedfords are BIG, indeed.

Someone should (assuming they live in a state where this would fly) chop the cab extension off, ditch the hydro bed gear and just build a camper with a huge pass-through right up to the (now-single) cab. The result would be monstrous.

joshuakampa

PS Grimreaper your 4Runner is very, very sweet. I'm tempted to fly to GA, buy the Bedford, buy the 4runner, load it on the back of the Bedford, and drive back to MA (where they would promptly tax/fine/confiscate/crush the Bedford sans title)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That thing does not have a 50 degree approach angle. No way. Says you can lock the transfer case. Is he trying to say it has locking front and rear diffs? I couldn't find anything suggesting it does.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I find it interesting that it is from the UK but is left hand drive.

I agree that the VIN could be an issue. This website states that they entered service in 1995. Also that they all at the Perkins 6l engine.

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/bedford_mt.htm
Nope it has a Bedford 500 here is a picture of it when I looked at it. Here is a link to a engine forsale http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/home/53328/Bedford_.htm
See that's the sketchy part. That cab is a TL model but mounted on a MJ frame. If you do a bit of digging you will find references of them doing cab swaps.

Yeah the left had drive is curious. It was a truck sold to many countries so while it is a English truck it may have been sold to a different country the drove on the other side of the road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Yeah, I guess with something like this you would see a lot of changes for different markets. I did read that these were sold to Israeli and a lot of other countries so that explains the left hand drive.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Years ago in Colorado I registered a CJ that didn't have a body VIN plate. The officer told me that the frame VIN is the only one they cared about. Body swaps are legal, but registration follows the frame. I've also seen a lot of kit cars registered according to the donor car (frame VIN).

I'm sure it varies from state to state, and YMMV. Just saying that registration may not be an issue.

When you register it as an RV the frame VIN will probably be the only one that matters.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94