Storage options with dogs

frans

Adventurer
I needed a crate solution for my dogs when my truck is bouncing down dirt trails, going over rocks and running windy mountain roads. I like a box because they keep the dogs grounded, and it protects the dogs from being slammed into the wall of the vehicle from severe off-road terrain or in the event of an accident.

Dog crates are expensive, and the size I needed wasn't standard, so I built one myself to my specific dimensions. The box is strong enough to stand up to being banged around on and off the truck, but also light enough for me to move it around on my own.

Your dog crates are not humane. they don't have nearly enough ventilation. In an attempt at changing your thinking here I would like to point out that there is a good reason why every single animal crate commercially built and sold has 10 times the amount of ventilation that yours do.
Your crates are inside the vehicle which in itself limits the amount of air circulation.
Remember, you are not putting humans in those crates (at least I hope not). dogs cool themselves differently than humans- they require fresh air.
I sincerely hope you take my advice and change those crates for something more humane. It would be better to take my advice than to learn by having your dogs die. You are in a warm climate as well.
frans

There are 2 full rows of two-inch diameter holes on the side, two-inch diameter holes on the back, and the two in the front. Not all commercially available crates have more holes than I do...

Here's an example. These only use 1-inch holes.
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/Photos.html

Now, what these do have is a metal grate front. Since I have a solid wood front with only two holes on the door, I'll consider putting in more holes for ventilation, since more is generally better. Still, even without that, mine has a fair amount of ventilation already as you could measure from simply calculating area of a circle.

And no, I don't put people in there. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Kennel04.jpg
    Kennel04.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,023

frans

Adventurer
There are 2 full rows of two-inch diameter holes on the side, two-inch diameter holes on the back, and the two in the front. Not all commercially available crates have more holes than I do...

Here's an example. These only use 1-inch holes.
http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/Photos.html As you say, all the pictures you posted show crates with the entire front made of mesh.

Now, what these do have is a metal grate front. Since I have a solid wood front with only two holes on the door, I'll consider putting in more holes for ventilation, since more is generally better. Still, even without that, mine has a fair amount of ventilation already as you could measure from simply calculating area of a circle.

And no, I don't put people in there. :rolleyes:

I am not going to argue with you but simply point out that dogs need air to cool. They pant. Your vehicle is an enclosed space. I will say it again, your vehicle is an enclosed space. The Calif. law states your window(s) must be at least 4 inches open for ventilation. This is because people have killed their dogs keeping them in crates in cars. Your crates do not provide enough air circulation. Your vehicle inside temps can become extreme in just a couple three minutes, even on a cloudy day.
personally I would fabricate a mesh door. Easy enough to do by finding an old bbq grill from say the recycling yard, cutting it to size and using some simple hinges.
THEN I would get a 12 volt fan and run it inside the car when parked.

My post to you is an attempt to educate you on these things. Not to try and make you feel bad or get defensive. My wife works at a humane society in our area and sees dogs killed by what you have built. Heat is more serious than it may appear.

vonhanson

Frans, i dont really care if you are trying to be a nice guy and be a savior to his dogs. if you have something to tell him, pm him. why would you post that in a thread?

In search of more ideas, and less spam.

I am not going to argue with you but simply point out that dogs need air to cool. They pant. Your vehicle is an enclosed space. I will say it again, your vehicle is an enclosed space. The Calif. law states your window(s) must be at least 4 inches open for ventilation. This is because people have killed their dogs keeping them in crates in cars. Your crates do not provide enough air circulation. Your vehicle inside temps can become extreme in just a couple three minutes, even on a cloudy day.
personally I would fabricate a mesh door. Easy enough to do by finding an old bbq grill from say the recycling yard, cutting it to size and using some simple hinges.
THEN I would get a 12 volt fan and run it inside the car when parked.

My post to you is an attempt to educate you on these things. Not to try and make you feel bad or get defensive. My wife works at a humane society in our area and sees dogs killed by what you have built. Heat is more serious than it may appear.

Well I slept at a Holiday Inn last night. :smiley_drive: JK

To get back on topic and to clarify the use case for everyone, the dog box is for transport only. I don't think it was the intention of this thread to discuss how to leave a dog in a hot car unattended. It was simply how to best maximize storage when also transporting an animal. I travel with two big dogs, and can personally vouch for how much less storage space I have when my mutts are in the vehicle with me. It's packed tight.

My dog box is a custom size to maximize the space for storage in the back of my Land Cruiser, while also giving a protected space for my dogs. With all the gear I carry, my dogs need protection from getting banged up in the back from shifting gear, slamming against the sides of the vehicle on windy roads/rough terrain, or in the event of an accident. It also contains all the nastiness that might come out of my dogs in the event my dog gets car sick! The $15 example you recommend doesn't provide any protection. It might even increase the chance of injury. It is not a good alternative in my opinion.

When I'm driving with my dogs, the windows are open in the back and/or the air conditioning is on. It is not recommended to leave a dog in a car unattended for any length of time. Of course, there are exceptions like when the car is automatically climate controlled, but for me I don't do that. I don't take my dogs with me if I am planning to leave the vehicle and I can't tie them up outside the vehicle in a shaded/protected area.

The addition of a fan set on a thermostat is a great idea. I don't feel I need it but if you were planning to leave dogs unattended in a vehicle that would be required at a minimum I think (I still wouldn't do that even with a fan if it was hot out).

Regarding your suggestion about air flow. I do agree that more is generally better, unless it's really cold and you also need insulation. As it is, the box has 40, 2 1/4 inch holes all around. The holes are placed in the upper part of the box, which helps let heat escape. Since I don't need an insulated box, I decided to cut some more holes in the back and the front. Now there are a total of 70, 2 1/4 inch holes starting at about 12 inches up from the base. Really it is just a minor modification but as an added benefit it also lightens the box a bit. Either way the box will be at ambient temperature to the truck, and since I am not leaving dogs in the box unattended, this will be fine (IMO).

Note, I did not go further down with holes, nor did I put holes in the roof, because I also use this box in the back of my pick-up truck and on the ground as a kennel when camping. In the bed of the pick up there can be a lot of wind, I want my dogs to be able to lay down and get out of the way of the air "circulation", if they want to, and be protected from weather with a solid roof. My choices in where to put ventilation reflect my intended uses.

My intention of sharing this design is to show people an option for protecting their animals while also maximizing space in the rear of their vehicle. This dog box might not be for everyone, but it does what I want it to do. I've been using it for awhile and so far dogs are happy and healthy.

Thank you for alluding to some improvements in my design. However, calling this dog box inhumane was inappropriate. You have no basis for that accusation because you don't have enough background. Common sense dictates that having an unattended dog in a car, with or without a box, is risky without some sort of temperature monitoring and a way to keep the car cool. Some would say that even with these fail-safes, you shouldn't do it.

Enough on this! For all the other folks reading this thread, here's a few pics of the box, finished in white and with the added holes. If you like it, great. I hope it gives you some ideas. If not, no problem. There is no one-size fits all. :victory:

20140217_134931

20140217_134916

20140217_135032

20140217_135003

frans

Adventurer
Thank you for posting such a great reply DirtAddictLc80. I understand better your needs and uses for your crates now.
vonhanson, keep calm, I gave several 'ideas' just actually read and understand my posts and you will see them. Not spam at all. Take a pill or something and relax, we are, hopefully, all adults here.

CDMartin

Suffering Fools
Here is the storage system I built for my FJ, I kept in mind that my two (2) buddies would need to be comfortable on long trips, highway, and off highway.

When the puppies aren't traveling

cab_8.jpg

With the rear seats down

cab_3.jpgcab_4.jpg

Their two dog beds on the backs of the back seat, and there blanket over the box

dogs.jpg

All comfy, and plenty of room. Just have to be cognizant of the trails I am exploring, nothing to hardcore.

Timgco

Adventurer
When you get "enough" dogs, just get one of these. You can put your RTT on top of the trailer too.

Attachments

• dgtrailer.jpg
    dgtrailer.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 107

DGarman

What could go wrong?
My 14-year old Aussie "Taggart" either lays on top of the sleeping platform, or sits in the passenger seat with his front paws on the dash. He enjoys the journey just as much, or more, than I do!
In this photo he's saying "C'mon.......lets get goin'!"

2013-03-28_13-57-29_272.jpg

J

JWP58

Check out Owens. I keep my dogs in an Owens two hole dog box under my topper. Don't know if it meets cali ventilation requirements, but it works.....much better than some flimsy wire mesh contraption would in a rollover accident, but maybe they don't have those in Cali.....

Ruff Tuff is a plastic option that people rave about.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Our dog storage platform

Still working out if I like the height of the platform, its only screwed together for now. When I decide on the final design I'll glue everything down and put some sort of coating on it.
I cut up an old HD foam mattress to fit and had my wife sew up the outdoor fabric. The pit and Chihuahua love it. Best thing is that the mattress can just be hosed off.
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

stioc

Expedition Leader
Our dog (55lbs ACD mix) rides in the back seat next to my kid. He (dog) has a chest harness that attaches to the truck's seat belt and keeps him secure under braking etc. By putting him in the rear passenger seat I was able to gain the precious cargo storage back, keep the cargo separate from the occupants and he even seems to like riding in the back seat better.

frans

Adventurer
Our dog (55lbs ACD mix) rides in the back seat next to my kid. He (dog) has a chest harness that attaches to the truck's seat belt and keeps him secure under braking etc. By putting him in the rear passenger seat I was able to gain the precious cargo storage back, keep the cargo separate from the occupants and he even seems to like riding in the back seat better.

Hey I always wondered about those harnesses! Would you let me know how the dog behaves in it? Can the dog turn around and lay down? I have a dodge extended cab truck and am thinking of getting those harness for the dogs in the back seat.
Thanks!

Fahque

Hey I always wondered about those harnesses! Would you let me know how the dog behaves in it? Can the dog turn around and lay down? I have a dodge extended cab truck and am thinking of getting those harness for the dogs in the back seat.
Thanks!

I have a similar set up in a JKU for my GSD 50-65lbs, a car specific dog harness but attached to the child seat anchors so she cant try and climb up front. She has a kurgo hammock seat cover thing for a little extra room and we can use the foot space under for storing small-ish items like a toolbox or food for the drive. She can stand sit laydown all over the back seat, works out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke