Storage options with dogs

Sardog1

Observer
My dog goes with me almost everywhere, so I pulled the back seat completely out of my XJ and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit as a floor. The rubber floor mat for the rear cargo area fit surprisingly well in the back of the now K-9 compartment when I turned it 180*. Seems that only our Australian friends have access to the really good cargo barriers (and anything else overland related - lucky folks!) so I made my own. The top half folds down in the event I want to haul something long, then the whole thing folds flat with the floor if I need to haul something big.
image.jpg

Then I made the fridge slide / storage drawer contraption to keep the ARB fridge and other gear in check.
image.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
My dog goes with me almost everywhere, so I pulled the back seat completely out of my XJ and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit as a floor. The rubber floor mat for the rear cargo area fit surprisingly well in the back of the now K-9 compartment when I turned it 180*. Seems that only our Australian friends have access to the really good cargo barriers (and anything else overland related - lucky folks!) so I made my own. The top half folds down in the event I want to haul something long, then the whole thing folds flat with the floor if I need to haul something big.
View attachment 233215

Then I made the fridge slide / storage drawer contraption to keep the ARB fridge and other gear in check.
View attachment 233216

Looks nice! What do you use to keep your dog secured?

Sardog1

Observer
Thanks. I use her old tracking harness if the trails get rough. Just attach it to the crossbar on the load barrier. Having the end of the lead elevated on the crossbar seems to keep her from getting tangled up... Most of the time. Other than that, she rides w/o the harness.

labs4me

image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We have hunting labs. During the hunting season or after a training session- or when they are filthy- they ride in back in the bed of the truck. But for quick rides into town, or during the summer when it's hot or the winter when it's colds they ride in the cab with us.

This is the back seat of our 4-door Tacoma. We had a boat cushion fabrication company make us a cushion that fits across the back seats when they are in the folded-forward position. The fabric is marine-grade, waterproof and very durable.

labs4me

image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We have hunting labs. During the hunting season or after a training session- or when they are filthy- they ride in back in the bed of the truck. But for quick rides into town, or during the summer when it's hot or the winter when it's colds they ride in the cab with us.

This is the back seat of our 4-door Tacoma. We had a boat cushion fabrication company make us a cushion the fits across the back seats when they are in the folded-forward position. The fabric is marine-grade, waterproof and very durable.

jtakau

We got a custom made cage for the dogs. It takes most of the trunk, but leaves the back seats for our stuff (mostly) and still give us option to transport people as well.

There is some space on top of the cage and in our last trip we used it to store two additional folding cages which were set up for two dogs during nights so that they had a bit more space to sleep in (two remaining in car). With a RTT for us it worked like a dream.

Attachments

• Crate with dogs.jpg
    Crate with dogs.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Crates on top.jpg
    Crates on top.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 45

fireball

Explorer
I built a 10"H drawer system in the back of my 100-series, then some plywood dividers to provide an area for the fridge, water jerry can, shelf for storage and our 90# husky. It works really well, he has just enough space to stand up turn around and lay down and be comfortable, and it is much better off road because he has two sides to brace himself off of. It also keeps all of our cargo and gear off of him, so is much safer.

Not the best photos but you can get the idea.

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

coop74

Old Camping Dude
I needed a crate solution for my dogs when my truck is bouncing down dirt trails, going over rocks and running windy mountain roads. I like a box because they keep the dogs grounded, and it protects the dogs from being slammed into the wall of the vehicle from severe off-road terrain or in the event of an accident.

Dog crates are expensive, and the size I needed wasn't standard, so I built one myself to my specific dimensions. The box is strong enough to stand up to being banged around on and off the truck, but also light enough for me to move it around on my own.

Your dog crates are not humane. they don't have nearly enough ventilation. In an attempt at changing your thinking here I would like to point out that there is a good reason why every single animal crate commercially built and sold has 10 times the amount of ventilation that yours do.
Your crates are inside the vehicle which in itself limits the amount of air circulation.
Remember, you are not putting humans in those crates (at least I hope not). dogs cool themselves differently than humans- they require fresh air.
I sincerely hope you take my advice and change those crates for something more humane. It would be better to take my advice than to learn by having your dogs die. You are in a warm climate as well.
frans

Dude you would have a stroke if you saw most working/hunting dog boxes if you think those are bad.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Ours are 'free range' beasts. They've got the second row seats and some cargo area for themselves. Some cordura seat covers, blankets, rubber mat and spill-proof water dish.
It is a dog's genetic imperative to be in the lead, nose in the wind. It is their job as our companions. Part of the age-old 'deal' between Man and Dog. I won't shove them in a box or treat them like luggage / furniture.

doggles01a.jpg

That said, I'll pack the cargo area in a way that traps the junk to the rear such that it won't move unless there's a major accident, and then all bets are off anyway. I'm working now on some custom cargo nets / screens made from 1/2" webbing on a 4" grid, with a 1" web outer edge with snap clips at the corners into D-rings on the interior periphery such that the cargo area is walled off altogether. Additional D-rings at 1' intervals forward so the web can be mounted close to the cargo, however much cargo there is. In a Suburban.

eta - and I'd like some substantiation about that 4" guff, I've owned and driven with dogs in CA for nearly 30yrs and never heard of such a thing. And I'm usually pretty aware about the stream of laws that spew out of Sacramento.

Last edited:

Kharn

Has anyone incorporated a ramp into their design? Our lab hates being lifted into the rear of our Suburban, but she'll climb into other vehicles (or the middle row) when instructed.

For the portions of the dog's area that stick above the window line, I was thinking of using dowels or rods set in a wood frame so she could see out and I can still use my mirror. Would that be strong enough, or should I stick with the plywood and large holes approach?

rayra

Expedition Leader
we actually bought a purpose-built pet ramp when our last GSD got too old to clamber in. It had a luggage handle on the side and it was extendable. About 18" wide. And it had 5-6" tall sides. Looked like a playground slide almost. But the sides doomed it, because they were in the way once stored in the vehicle. A flat slab of 3/4" plywood covered in glued carpet for traction would work well, and take almost no space when stored in the vehicle.

it was of all things, dogramp.com, the double telescoping 72"

For me personally, I have a large family and the mutt, so we have divided what our rigs do. The Jeep is for people, and we have built it to be comfortable on the road and capable off road. For storage and cargo for long trips/expeditions, we got an off-road trailer that we are currently 'renovating' to suit our needs. This will only be used for long multi day trips and overnight stuff. For day trips, we can usually fit what we need under the rear seat and behind the rear jump seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94