1988 F-250 Adventure Rig Build Up

Looks Great! Has the truck earned a nickname yet?

If you are going to use vinyl floormats I would recommend that you use as much sound deadener as possible right now. The vinyl seems to bounce sound around the cabin much more than carpet, the carpet soaks it up like a movie theater and deadens the overall cabin noise. Look at the theater next time you go, they have carpet on the walls and heavy drapes to soak up the unidirectional sound so that the general sound comes from the correct direction (speakers).

I am debating this myself as vinyl is so much easier to not worry about than carpet, but carpet is in my truck right now so I will use it until I find a better replacement. I remember that our Yukon was like a huge, cold cave when the only interior in it was a dash and a drivers seat! The interior pieces soak up alot of road noise and in a standard cab there isn't alot of interior!!

I would skip the painting your interior parts and slowly search for better plastic pieces as you go along, most of the time the sun has destroyed the plastic on a molecular level and once painted the paint just flakes off, along with the next layer of plastic...at least that is what I see after others have tried to re-paint old plastics. Maybe the paint is a better product now, but to get good adhesion it needs to penetrate the plastic and old punky plastic is just old and punky. Look for 1992 and newer trucks too, the trims will interchange, I have a thread in my email of where a fella took an OBS interior and swapped it into a bricknose.

Don't give up!!

Rot Box

Explorer
Lookin good. The 38 gallon tank is on my short list of things to do as well. Nice fairly inexpensive upgrade if you ask me.

txnight

Adventurer
Looks Great! Has the truck earned a nickname yet?

If you are going to use vinyl floormats I would recommend that you use as much sound deadener as possible right now. The vinyl seems to bounce sound around the cabin much more than carpet, the carpet soaks it up like a movie theater and deadens the overall cabin noise. Look at the theater next time you go, they have carpet on the walls and heavy drapes to soak up the unidirectional sound so that the general sound comes from the correct direction (speakers).

I am debating this myself as vinyl is so much easier to not worry about than carpet, but carpet is in my truck right now so I will use it until I find a better replacement. I remember that our Yukon was like a huge, cold cave when the only interior in it was a dash and a drivers seat! The interior pieces soak up alot of road noise and in a standard cab there isn't alot of interior!!

I would skip the painting your interior parts and slowly search for better plastic pieces as you go along, most of the time the sun has destroyed the plastic on a molecular level and once painted the paint just flakes off, along with the next layer of plastic...at least that is what I see after others have tried to re-paint old plastics. Maybe the paint is a better product now, but to get good adhesion it needs to penetrate the plastic and old punky plastic is just old and punky. Look for 1992 and newer trucks too, the trims will interchange, I have a thread in my email of where a fella took an OBS interior and swapped it into a bricknose.

Don't give up!!

0qKkDztl.jpg

q0Fvdabl.jpg

I have found a company that makes a full vinyl floor or a rubber floor instead of the carpet. Leaning towards the rubber floor for the convenience factor and perhaps the sound deadening capabilities.

Thanks for the heads up on painting interior pieces. I'm going to keep looking around as I move along.

Rot, the tank is about $180 delivered on Amazon and another $80 for the sending unit/ in tank pump. If it never has to come down again I will be pleased.

Last edited:

Trav0302

Observer
Wow your moving right along. I have to agree with the interior parts if at all possible don't paint plastic! I've learned the hard way it will all peel off first season change form hot to cold.

Keep the work up your moving at a pretty good pace if you ask me. :clapsmile

txnight

Adventurer
Weekly Update: Still gathering up parts.

The ebay steering column arrived and wasn't as advertised. After some bickering it was sent back and I'm waiting on another one to arrive. Pretty annoying and it has slowed me down a little.

Shop manuals and EVTM have been invaluable to review. By far the best money I have spent.

Fuel tank and sending unit arrived (amazon is amazing)

Work completed this week:

my time and warm weather didn't match up this week resulting in little being accomplished.

This is a picture of the new fuel tank and sending unit. I searched for a sending unit set up for this tank and was unable to find it. The new tank does come with the retrofit kit to extend the fuel pickup and float. It isn't too difficult to complete but you do need to know how to solder wiring and I found it easier to sweat up the pipe extensions than use the hose clamps. Just a preference of mine.

1Ooe8Y4l.jpg

The fuel system in this truck sucks. To spare you the details I'm setting up new fuel lines from the high pressure rail fuel pump and deleting the valve assembly that switches between the two stock tanks. This valve assembly is now useless and mine was broken anyway.

If I can get the fuel tank and lines installed this week then that should clear up my mind for the wiring project.

This weeks question: Any thoughts on Air Conditioning components that are prone to failure that I should replace while it is easy to get to?

Have a good one!

mp_tx

Observer
0qKkDztl.jpg

q0Fvdabl.jpg

I have found a company that makes a full vinyl floor or a rubber floor instead of the carpet. Leaning towards the rubber floor for the convenience factor and perhaps the sound deadening capabilities.

Thanks for the heads up on painting interior pieces. I'm going to keep looking around as I move along.

Rot, the tank is about $180 delivered on Amazon and another $80 for the sending unit/ in tank pump. If it never has to come down again I will be pleased.

Link for the rubber/vinyl floor?

txnight

Adventurer
It says the tank does not fit my '92 F350. Do they just lack imagination?

Looks like the Spectra site doesn't list it either. If it helps I could take some measurements for you.

I got the tank up on a floor jack last night and it fits nicely. It does hang down a little but it shouldn't be an issue for me.

After three trips to NAPA and Autozone I finally got the fuel lines and fittings sorted out. You have to get creative and use some parts that are listed as Chrysler for the fittings. It took me a while to figure that out.

Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
It says the tank does not fit my '92 F350. Do they just lack imagination?
After 89, Ford switched to a two pump system on their gas trucks instead of three pumps. Up to and including 89, there is a third booster pump on the frame, so the in-tank assemblies can be smaller. After 89, Ford eliminated the frame pump and installed bigger pump assemblies in the tanks. The 38 gallon tank can be modified to accept the later fuel systems, but you have to cut out the pump hole and weld in a larger one from the later trucks. I've never done it but if you're working with new tanks, it wouldn't be too difficult. Hard to not want a 38 gallon tank.

Another option is to install a 33 gallon Bronco tank. I did that with my 94 and it was simple. The added fuel reserve is great.

txnight

Adventurer
Monday Update: Snuck off for a few hours to work on the truck this weekend.

#1 Painted the new tank while I had it down and did a little reinforcing on the bottom tank straps.

#2 I did run into a problem with the kit that drops the straps down further to allow for the larger tank. Short story is I had to get bolts that were 2 inches longer to make it work. Annoying

#3 Removed the valve unit that originally selected which tank to pull fuel from. Throwing that in the trash felt good.

#4 New fuel lines installed

#5 Stared at my wiring project and contemplated life.

#6 Went home while I was still having fun.

At this point I'm forced to continue with the wiring project.

I can see this taking months instead of weeks.

In the "while your at it" category there are new LED cab lights, dome lights and corner lights for the flatbed waiting for payment. I looked everywhere and kept coming back to http://www.superbrightleds.com/ These people really seem to have it figured out. I have been less than happy with Ebay LED sellers so I'm going to try this route this time.

Any other recommendations for LED lights?

Have a great week, Bill D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier