1988 F-250 Adventure Rig Build Up

txnight

Adventurer
looks like you sir had a busy weekend! I would try to drill out the screws if you can. A machine shop would cost a arm and a foot.

I like the liner. Lizard skin is also a very good product.

I got the bolt out but I can't get it to go back on. Going to try and tap it tonight and put another bolt in. Hope it works or I'm going to have to replace the entire housing.

txnight

Adventurer
I got the bolt out but I can't get it to go back on. Going to try and tap it tonight and put another bolt in. Hope it works or I'm going to have to replace the entire housing.

Managed to tap the threads without any issue. New thermostat is in but still not getting temp reading. It appears that I have everything wired correctly and I'm really sick of trying to get the oil pressure and temp gauge to work. Thinking I might just run it for a while and then install aftermarket sometime down the road.

The interior is all bolted back in without much issue. Pretty nice how seats from a 91 and a console from a 93 bolt up just fine in an 87.

Next up is installing the radio from scratch, hidden CB radio and all of the door seals. Followed by standing in line at the DMV and trying to squeak by an inspection. The inspection process on these old rigs in TX varies county by county. If anyone has a friendly inspection place in Dallas/Plano I would love to use them. I have had two shops tell me different things when it comes to what emission control systems should be left stock.

Bill D.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Why not have your truck registered as a classic? Texas offers 3 registrations for trucks (basically). Regular, classic, antique. Classic and antique require the vehicle to be at least 20 years old. Classic requires safety inspection but is emissions exempt and no driving limitations. Antique has no inspection but, by law, you are only supposed to drive it to/from shows and maintenance. Contact your DMV office and inform them that you would like a copy of the inspection requirements from them. Makes the inspection much easier since most places are not aware of the classic inspection being safety only.

txnight

Adventurer
Why not have your truck registered as a classic? Texas offers 3 registrations for trucks (basically). Regular, classic, antique. Classic and antique require the vehicle to be at least 20 years old. Classic requires safety inspection but is emissions exempt and no driving limitations. Antique has no inspection but, by law, you are only supposed to drive it to/from shows and maintenance. Contact your DMV office and inform them that you would like a copy of the inspection requirements from them. Makes the inspection much easier since most places are not aware of the classic inspection being safety only.

Yes, it will be registered as a classic. My concern is that part of the safety inspection is to check that original emissions equipment exists. You are correct that it doesn't have to work or be inspected. My truck currently doesn't have a catalytic converter or any of the associated emissions equipment under the hood. I can re-install the under the hood items but I'm trying to avoid spending the $75 to buy a cat from Summit and welding it up.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
I had that problem with my 87 when it had the big block and no cats. Contact your DMV, in my area the emissions equipment was not required with a classic inspection, safety only.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Having the paperwork from the DMV that lists the inspection criteria helps inform the inspector as to what they need to look at, and what is to be ignored (emissions equipment)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

txnight

Adventurer
On the way to get the inspection. Wish me luck.

Tjvv199l.jpg

txnight

Adventurer
Trying to keep my thread alive. Here are a few updates.

Tires: a friend is going to sell me a set of BFG KM2 in 255/85/16. My wheels are 16x6.5 so I'm kinda limited on choices. This seems to be a popular skinny/tall tire and it comes in an E load which is a plus for me.

Gauges: Just couldn't get comfortable with the stock gauges. They read normal but didn't really tell me anything. I installed electric Water Temp and Oil Pressure gauges in some blank spots on the lower dash. Water temp was easy, oil pressure was tough because the stock sending unit is on the top of the block against the firewall. All wired up and they work fine for my purposes.

Tuning: still playing with the timing. I have to keep adjusting it as I replace sensors, leaky vacuum lines and exhaust leaks. Just when I'm convinced I have sorted it out I hear a hissing noise from another corner!!

Overall: Very happy with the build. As I adjust fitment and tweak little things it is becoming more enjoyable to bounce around in.

My full time shotgun partner agrees. Have a great week!
8JCsN8pl.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You should just replace all of the old hard plastic lines with rubber fuel line. Those plastic lines are so brittle, they'll snap apart if you just tough them wrong. One good bump and oops, you've got another vacuum leak. The walls of the rubber fuel line are thick enough that they won't collapse under the vacuum and they have a decent heat rating.

txnight

Adventurer
You should just replace all of the old hard plastic lines with rubber fuel line. Those plastic lines are so brittle, they'll snap apart if you just tough them wrong. One good bump and oops, you've got another vacuum leak. The walls of the rubber fuel line are thick enough that they won't collapse under the vacuum and they have a decent heat rating.

Totally agree with you. I'm heading to autozone and getting a few different sizes.

txnight

Adventurer
Quick update on this project. After a few months of ironing out the details it was finally time to put on some tires. No rubbing issues during normal driving and these km2's are surprisingly quiet.
YdHKNXul.jpg

This old rig is running well and I'm looking forward to getting it out next week for a long hunting trip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles