Traveling Across America in our Nissan Frontier

Here is some background about me and how we are able to make this trip across America. My name is Joe and I am a travel nurse. I have been an ER Nurse for several years now. I have always had exposure to the medical community. My birth father was a doctor, and my mother is a pharmacist. At 16 I started at CVS as a pharmacy tech and stayed with that until I joined the Air Force at 19 and became a Medic. During my time in service I was able to complete my BSN (nursing degree). In college I met my bride to be Shontae while living in West Virginia. In 2011 Shontae was a school teacher in West Virginia who was at her rope's end and needed a change. Her best friend who introduced us to each other had this awesome job that allowed her to work from home, and this gave Shontae an idea. One day Shontae came home and said "hey babe why don't you become a travel nurse and I work from home while we travel the country?" Well that idea prompted us to get rid of almost all of our belongings. With the help of our families, using their garages for storage for whatever we couldn't part with, we have been traveling the country since January 2013.

We started traveling close to home in Silver Spring, Maryland to get our bearings on what we did and did not need for the road. It was in Maryland that I had to make a heartbreaking decision. I had to part ways with my 2004 TJ Wrangler that was outfitted with a Metalclock Body, winch, and 35" BFG KM2's, OME suspension, Garvin roof rack… I traded the beloved Jeep in for a brand new 2012 Nissan Frontier SV King Cab 4x4. Let me tell you this truck has been great for the road. We use every inch of space right now and it drives so smooth, like a dream. After Maryland we moved to Milwaukee, WI from April to June 2013. We initially did not have a camper shell on the truck and had our belongings tied down with a tarp. Well several tarps because they got ripped to shreds because of the wind. So in Milwaukee we got a Leer 100XL camper shell.

Wisconsin Photos Above

Milwaukee was great and if you like beer and baseball this is the town for you. In Milwaukee we realized how nice people are in the Midwest. Coming from the East Coast and originally being from Brooklyn, NY we were not used to everybody, and I mean everybody being ridiculously nice. We went to several baseball games and a lot of restaurants. The food and beer there was amazing. We took a short trip to visit Ann Arbor, Michigan and Chicago, Illinois. In Chicago we went to a White Sox’s game and while standing in line this sweet lady came up to us and gave us free tickets 17 rows up along the 3rd baseline that her company gives her for every game. During the game her conversation was welcome, and I’ve said it before, “People in the Midwest are super nice.” In Milwaukee, we learned how to fly fish at a beginner class at Orvis. I was hooked. There was this local park less than a half a mile away from where we were staying and I was there all the time cleaning house with my hand me down fly rod. We later took “Orvis fly fishing 201” at the Highland rod and gun club near Kettle Moraine State Park. There we met one of the most generous people we have ever met. The owner of this rod and gun club proceeded to gather up some pheasant sausage from his huge walk in freezer, gathered up his 7 dogs, and invited us to his home for dinner with the wife and kids. From there we went to a baseball game that he has reserved seats and tables at. And when we thought the night was over, he took us out for Mexican food and margaritas. This man would not let us pay for one drink. It was amazing. Later he gave us an open invitation to call him up to gain access to some 1000+ acres in North Dakota. He and his family were gems of people. After a short stay in Milwaukee we took an assignment in Casper, WY. On our way out west we stopped at a few national parks.
On our way to Wyoming, we almost got blew off the road by 3 tornadoes crossing through South Dakota, and eventually arrived in Badlands NP. I recently got into photography and we had plans to take photographs of Badlands in the warm light of the sunrise the following day. Due to our run in with tornadoes we decided to stay in a hotel rather than tent camp for the night. That morning we learned a little fact that 90% of South Dakota is in one time zone and the other 10% which Badlands resides in is in another. So while waiting an extra hour in the Frontier in the dark I decided that at sunrise I would propose to Shontae. Well I did just that, and with not another soul in the park yet we became engaged. There the first person we met was a photographer named Joe Kopp from Missouri. Joe was very nice and gave use great information. After driving through Badlands, and visiting Mt Rushmore we stayed the night in Rapid City, SD. We later met up with Joe in Rapid City for a beer where he told us about Custer State Park, the Needles Highway, and Lake Sylvan. Thank goodness he did because we had a great encounter with a huge heard of buffalo, and saw one of the best sunrises at Lake Sylvan. By the way Lake Sylvan is probably one of the most beautiful places on earth. The next morning we made our way up to Devil's Tower on our way to Casper, WY.

South Dakota (Badlands, Lake Sylvian, Custer State Park)

Wyoming (Devils Tower)
Traveling from Wisconsin to Wyoming Above

Last edited:
Today we made a well needed upgrade from sleeping in our truck bed on our Coleman inflatable mattress. We are now the proud owners of a Howling Moon Stargazer 1.6 Roof Top Tent with Annex!!! Will post pictures once it is installed.

PS see you at the Overland Expo in May.

After arriving in Casper, we were fortunate enough to be working with a great bunch of people in the ER, and they provided us with long stretches of time off. In our time off we were able to venture into Rocky Mountain NP, Estes Park, Mt Evans, Red Rocks, Wind River Canyon, Grand Teton NP, and Yellowstone NP. Forgive me for this next tangent, but in a 4 day trip to Colorado we ran into the police 3 of the 4 days! The first was the only legitimate stop, they caught me speeding, they were nice and let me off. But the other instances were crazy, on pulled up to us cooking bacon mac’n cheese in the parking lot we were guests at to shower up before seeing Yonder at Red Rocks. The other was because we weren’t camping in a designated campsite even though we paid. I’m sorry but the view was better from the parking lot than the campsite and we were sleeping in the bed of my pickup BIG DEAL. They made us move it was such crap, we were in the freaking park and overpaid our fees to the drop box because we didn’t have smaller bills. Anyways out of the way let’s move on. It was at Grand Tetons and Yellowstone that we started venturing away from the crowds and into the trails. There were a few smaller off-road only trails in Yellowstone, and a longer off road only trail in Grand Tetons that we decided to take. It was a great way to get away from the crowds and see the park from another perspective. This is where I believe we started to get the itch for overlanding. After leaving Casper, WY in October, we ventured for warmer weather we made our way to Tucson, AZ. (Just in time too)

Colorado Above: (Rocky Mountain NP, Mt Evans)

Yellowstone Above:

Grand Tetons Above:

Vedauwoo Above:

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great post and thanks for taking the time...looking forward to more pics and more post about your travels around the country.

Getting my Howling Moon Stargazer 1.6 RTT installed tomorrow!!! Post some more pictures soon. Gonna go camping this weekend so I'll write up a first impression review on it next week. I'll also work on getting some links put up from our travels. I don't want to bombard this forum with copious amounts of pictures from all the places. What do you guys think? Post pictures directly to forum, or post a link to shutterfly where the pictures already are?

On our way to Tucson, thanks to the governor of Utah, we were able to briefly visit Bryce and Zion. We departed from Casper due to the government shutdown delaying my permanent license from arriving before my temporary expired. Anyways with the government shutdown the National Parks that we loved to visit on the way from place to place were not available to us. Well, the governor of Utah used state funds to open up the national parks starting the weekend of our travel, and we now had access. (How lucky)

Zion Above:

Bryce Canyon Above:

In Tucson we made some great friends with fellow travelers from Canada who had summer jobs in Canada and took the winters off every year. We met our Canadian friends on American Thanksgiving day! We went out rock climbing that day, not having family in the area just wasn't making Thanksgiving day feel the same at first. Well, we hit it off with them and invited them over for some turkey dinner. From there we went on several other rock climbing trips covering Mt Lemmon, Melino Basin, Cochise Stronghold, and later on Joshua Tree NP. Also while in Tucson, we met up with my old friend from when I was a rock climbing instructor in Richmond, VA, who had transplanted himself in Flagstaff, AZ. With our friend from Flagstaff we were introduced to a cornucopia of climbing around the Flagstaff area. We went climbing at Priest Draw, Turkey Tanks, and Sedona. Also while in Tucson we made it out to City of Rocks State Park in NM, and Saguaro NP in Tucson. City of Rocks SP had some of the cleanest campsites I have ever stayed in. I swear they must use a shop-vac to clean up every fire-pit after each use, because it was immaculate. We loved Arizona so much that we decided to take another assignment there and we are currently in Phoenix. We are planning to get married in the next few weeks to come in Sedona, AZ… To be continued.

Last edited:
DSC_0415_640DSC_0415conversion.JPGDSC_0416_641DSC_0416conversion.JPGDSC_0418_643DSC_0418conversion.JPGDSC_0419_644DSC_0419conversion.JPGDSC_0420_645DSC_0420conversion.JPGDSC_0421_646DSC_0421conversion.JPGDSC_0422_647DSC_0422conversion.JPG
Just got my Howling Moon Stargazer 1.8 installed at Sierra Expeditions yesterday. They did a terrific job on the install. Sorry for not having a better background, just went to a local park to set it up. Going camping this weekend so we'll see how she does for a road test.

DSC_0395_634DSC_0395conversion.JPGDSC_0396_635DSC_0396conversion.JPGDSC_0397_636DSC_0397conversion.JPGDSC_0401_637DSC_0401conversion.JPGDSC_0408_638DSC_0408conversion.JPGDSC_0410_639DSC_0410conversion.JPG

This trip was to the Coke Ovens in Florence, AZ. The jeep is my buddy's, who came up from Tucson to do a little off-roading. The grill he made from a 20 ammo can... genius. Well something you didn't see in the photos because we were preoccupied was the following. On our way out we were caught in a traffic jam, where a group of 7 fellow off roaders from another group were on their way in. While stopped we were socializing waiting for them to pass. I had begun to explain that I'm a travel nurse and that is what I'm doing in Phoenix, being from the East Coast. Well a few minutes into the conversation we heard a crash a few hundred yards back. Soon followed by a call for help. Well what had happened was...this older gentleman who was riding his ATV (With no helmet I might add) flipped his ATV, lost consciousness and split his jaw open. He hit so hard that his dentures split in half and lacerated the roof of his mouth. Fortunate for him I was within an earshot and came to his aide; however, I hadn't been doing the driving that day, and had replaced my time with drinking beer. Like I said we were on our way out, so I'd had a few. Well instantly after seeing just how bad he was hurt, I instantly sobered up and was soon followed by a killer hangover, but I digress. Having little that I could do for him in the field, someone from the group called 911 and arranged an air-evac. Meanwhile, I had decreased some of the bleeding by applying an ice compress to vaso-constrict his laceration and applied direct pressure. However, mostly I was just keeping everybody calm, keeping him immobilized, maintaining his horribly swollen airway, and performing neuro checks to make sure this guy wasn't stroking out. Well after I'd say 45 min we saw the helicopter, much to my relief as this guy kept having difficulty maintaining his airway. The chopper made about 3-4 circles around us and took off. We assumed that they were looking for a more suitable place to land and hike him out as we were on the side of a hill. Well another 45 minutes went by and nothing. So we called 911 again and pretty much said what the hell. They told are communicator that they didn't see us!!! Well excuse my french but that was B.S. we were waving at them, they did 3-4 circles and they had GPS coordinates and an ex-military helicopter crew chief on the ground directing them. Well finally 3 hours after the first call to 911 the Sheriff's department helicopter landed and this hot shot medic arrived on scene. This guy was arrogant. Plus he couldn't hit this guys veins to save his life and this guys had pipes. Anyways, he finally got on the bird about 4 hours after the initial call to 911. Thankfully it wasn't any longer because this poor guy was starting to get hypothermic from lying on the rocks with the sun setting and dehydration. We wrapped this guy up with an emergency blanket and before the Helicopter had arrived we had started to make a fire near him to keep him warm. Needless to say, the next 2 hours going over some pretty serious tails were not the most fun trail-riding I have ever done. The trip was great though, and it was an interesting experience seeing medical care from the other side of the fence. Thoughts...Not impressed. Maybe I'm bias because I've been working in the ED since I was 19 and was a Medic in the service for 6 years. I'll tell you what though, it really made me miss my Jeep I had to sell at the beginning of 2013 :(

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
That's a heckuva story. Hope you enjoy your Frontier. Shopping right now for one for my fiancée.

I personally applaud your decision to go mobile and experience life from the road/trail.

I'll be following your travel thread...maybe we will bump into each other and we can swap some camping/off road tales.

Good luck and stay safe out there. Love the RTT.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
What do you guys think? Post pictures directly to forum, or post a link to shutterfly where the pictures already are?
My 2 cents: Post a few samples of pictures directly on the forums with a link to the rest. Many of our readers are reading from work during downtime and have firewalls to deal with and photo sites (like Shutterfly) are often on blocked lists because of bandwidth issues.

Enjoying your pictures and story. Keep it coming.

Yeah good advice, I'll post some sample pictures from each trip up so there are some directly on the site. Will have to wait till next week though, going camping and rock climbing this weekend in Prescott, AZ.

Sorry there are a lot more photos, but for some reason they won't import to this forum post. So that shutterfly link will be the best bet. I tried to get some on and that's what I got...SOME. I tried re-sizing and everything. This will have to do for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94