Generator or APU?

LoRoad

Adventurer
As AFBronco235 has put it "let's get back to the original question..." Thank you for that.

Originally the question was meant to get some general guidance on 'should we' or 'should we not' put an APU on our vehicle build. Based on the many responses here and given some additional 'thinking' on the overall build - we've come to this: we are going to upgrade the existing alternator on the engine, put in a separator/splitter to charge both the camper/house (now significantly larger battery pack) and the truck systems while the vehicle is running/idling. Given the high altitude concerns with diesels running smoothly we plan on installing a small 'enough' gas powered generator to be used when needed in those few and far between situations. While this may be a small inconvenience, having dual fuel sources, the cost to benefit ratio's with an APU just don't seem to add up. Thank you to all for your sage comments and advice....and as always, if I'm off in left field here be sure to let me know. ;-)

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
As AFBronco235 has put it "let's get back to the original question..." Thank you for that.

Originally the question was meant to get some general guidance on 'should we' or 'should we not' put an APU on our vehicle build. Based on the many responses here and given some additional 'thinking' on the overall build - we've come to this: we are going to upgrade the existing alternator on the engine, put in a separator/splitter to charge both the camper/house (now significantly larger battery pack) and the truck systems while the vehicle is running/idling. Given the high altitude concerns with diesels running smoothly we plan on installing a small 'enough' gas powered generator to be used when needed in those few and far between situations. While this may be a small inconvenience, having dual fuel sources, the cost to benefit ratio's with an APU just don't seem to add up. Thank you to all for your sage comments and advice....and as always, if I'm off in left field here be sure to let me know. ;-)

Glad I could help. lol

If you want this advice, you should take your old alternator and mate that to a small gas motor as your secondary battery charging system. Something like a small power washer motor or 4 cycle weed eater should be plenty big enough to charge those batteries.

sojourner

Observer
Also along the lines of a separate generator as mentioned, I'm setting up a 190cc Briggs and Stratton to run an air compressor and 2nd alterator. It will run a york compressor for oba duties and the 2nd alt to recharge the "house" battery. I also have diesel but this will be gas, just have to keep both but it saves the motor from these accessories that see minor use. Just another idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz