What 19 inch tyre?

A.J.M

Explorer
Looking for new options for my D3 for off road tyres.

Currently have Duratracs fitted, which are a fantastic tyre for my use but I've had them on a year and they are down to 7mm after 15k of driving. I intend to remove them at 3mm so will get to may or June before they are ready for the bin.

I have used them for daily driving, rock crawling, mud, gravel and in winter conditions, everything bar sand as there are no beaches I can drive on that are local.

The other factor is I have Brembo calipers fitted so I am limited to 19/20 inch wheels.

So, bar paying another £1000 for 20k of duratrac use. What else should I consider?
I've the GG AT, Scorpion ATR, Cooper LTZ in my size. Each have pro's and cons.

So, what would you fit/have fitted to your D3/4?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I switched over to 18" for many reasons.

Running GG AT2's in LT285/60-18. I needed load range E.

If I didn't need load range E, I would go with Cooper A/T3's. LTZ's are rated low snow performance by Cooper. Looking at the tread pattern, I can understand that rating.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I have the GG AT2's in 18 as well in stock size right now. I have over 35k on them and they still have at least 5k in tread left. They do get louder than I had hoped for as they wear down but overall a good tire. Something seems wrong to me if you only got 15k out of your duratracs...

roverandom

Adventurer
I read many positive posts about the Pirelli Scorpion tyres so I tried a set on my stock 19" wheels.
They are without a doubt the WORST tyre I have ever used
They wore fast, had little traction, got constant punctures and a ripped side wall. This all happened on the road. I never dared use them in serious dirt.

I got 18" wheels and fitted Toyo OCAT. Very good tyre for a heavy LR3.
My 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J.M

Explorer
18s are out, Brake calipers are very snug under the 19s as it is.

The Duratrac's start at 13mm, in 15k i have wore 6mm out of them, so i will have in theory at current wear rates, 7500 miles left before they are beyond likely practical off road use for the mud we get in Scotland.

So, that is 22.5k out of a set of tyres. I don't know if there is something up with them, the psi is checked weekly, i do a lot of highway miles and i don't throw the car around corners.
Other people can get 30k+ out of a set before needing changed. So curious about other tyres i should consider or buy another set of Dura's and see what happens.

Thankfully the prices have dropped a fair bit since i bought mine. Would save over £200 if i went for them again.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'm going to be in the same vote in a couple months as currently only have Pirelli snows right now. My heart says go for the Cooper Zeon's, my head says Michelin Latitude Tour as I do lots of highway driving and it's amazing how well the LR3 does off-road with stock tires. I'm not planning extreme offroading in the near future. Just logging roads, etc to get to good camping and canoeing sites. Only thing is the Michelin come in 255-60-R19 and 245-55-R19 so would need to confirm if they'd work. If I find a set of 18" ten spokes at a reasonable price, I'd grab then and put Cooper Discoverer AT3's on them.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Toyo H/T Open Country

I had to get new tires last summer while on a trip (sliced a tire). We were very far from home and I actually had the guy price out new 18" wheels and tires. The price difference was about $350 to change to 18" (Tires AND wheels) and would have significantly lowered the cost of tire replacement in the future. They mounted tires on the new 18" rims hung them on the truck and they fit fine, no problems with caliper clearance. The issue ended up being they did not have the correct lug nuts!! Off came those wheel and on went the 19" tires with the old wheels as we had to head home the following day and it was the weekend.
I've been happy enough with the Toyo tires but I fully plan to ditch the 19" wheels next time we need tires. Tire selection is so limited and they cost a fortune.

A.J.M

Explorer
I may have an answer. Google has shown that the Compomotive alloy that several people have fitted. DO fit over my Brembo brakes...

So 18s ARE now ( at a cost ) available...

This throws everything I had thought out the window now..
Time for more researching.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Only thing is many of those wheels, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, are just plain ugly. Lucky 8 has even fitted 17" wheels to their new LR3 but, sorry Justin, I wouldn't put them on my truck. It's a fine balance between getting the wheels/tires you want and keeping the truck looking good. Guess I'm just a shallow guy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne