Question for the Astro experts

75S30

I'm seriously considering picking up an AWD Astro for use as a road trip and camp vehicle for my wife, myself, and our dog. I have the ability to run a GM VIN at work and look at the original build sheet and I am curious about a couple of things. I have read that some of these came with a more desirable rear differential with a locker...if this is true what would denote the ones with the lockers on the build sheet. So far most of the vans I've ran have had the 3.42 axle and no mention of any locker. I did recently find one that is a 3.73 ratio but again no mention of a locker.

Also, most of the vans seem to have listed that they were originally rental vans...does this seem like a big issue to those of you with experience with these vans? Is it common to find mostly ex rental fleet vans for sale? I know how my friends treat rentals so it has me a little worried.

Thanks!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Found in glove box usually.
RPO AXLE CODE LIST BELOW:

GU2 2:73 ratio

GU4 3:08 ratio

GU5 3:23 ratio

GU6 3:42 ratio

GT4 3:73 ratio

GT5 4:10 ratio

GQ1 Open Differential Rear Axle

G80 GOV-LOC Rear Axle

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Finding a G80-equipped AWD, especially in a 3.73 ratio would be ideal, but given that the relative cost of re-gearing and/or adding a rear posi is "relatively" low, it might be better to focus on overall mileage, condition, and other amenities, if they matter. For example, I really wanted 03+ (rear discs, 6-bolt axles), Rear Heat and AC, and low-miles. It took literally months to find a candidate. It's a 3.42 w/ open diff, but I'll be fixing that soon enough w/ 4.11s and a rear locker.

Overall, figure out what your ultimate goal is. If you're planning to add lift and big tires, you'll almost certainly need to re-gear anyway, so maybe best not to limit your pool during the shopping stage.

If you haven't already, wander over to http://www.astrosafarivans.com and have a poke around there. Tons of expertise.

75S30

That's some good info, thanks!

I have found quite a few that seem to be in relatively good shape for the price which is why the Astro landed on my radar to begin with. I imagine putting slightly more aggressive tires on it, fixing any broken or worn out bits and then building a comfortable sleeping arrangement in the back. Living in Kansas means we have quite the distance to cover if we want to get to more entertaining terrain so comfort and reliability are definitely my top priorities. It seems an Astro may fill that role nicely.

Thanks again!:friday:

Bob

Well if reliability is a top priority do yourself a favor and change the fuel pump when you get it! Use the AC Delco pump, no knock offs. Cruise on over to astrosafarivans.com and start planning your projects!

Wiley

Adventurer
Astros are reliable overall, the motor is good, but there are lots of little problems that will pop up, so reliable may be relative. Since you already are looking into gear ratios I think you are more than capable of tackling any issues that come up. For the needs you described I think it would be a great vehicle.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
+1 on the fuel pump, I would just go ahead and get it out of the way on any Astro over 100k that I didn't know the service history on. I went with a Delphi pump, OE supplier and saved $50-$75 over the Delco.

With a rental, I'd be more concerned about transmission (or complete driveline really) longevity and proper cooling system care/maintenance. If you keep searching, you'll come across some solid non-rental vans.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I've had three former rental Astros no additional problems related to it. Seems most people that would rent them aren't too interested in flogging the rental.

75S30

Thanks guys! Hopefully I can find something in the next couple of months so we can start using it this summer. I'm getting this unbearable itch to get out on the road...
:rally_guys:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior