Anyone familiar with Hanomag AL 28's?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I really like these vehicles. They were used by the West Germany army as troop carriers, and as surplus vehicles were converted to expedition campers.

I believe they have the 200D engine, but it would be cool to switch it out for a 300 Turbo diesel. This one looks in great condition, and the conversion is excellent.

If you put an offer in on it make sure it includes the Moose :)

kerry

Expedition Leader
Ah ha. If it has the same engine as a car it is probably the 616 240d engine since it is typically listed as having 70 PS when installed in a van (as in 207d), whereas the one in the ad is listed as 69ps. I think the 615 220d engine is listed typically as 60 PS as in 406d).

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
kerry said:
Ah ha. If it has the same engine as a car it is probably the 616 240d engine since it is typically listed as having 70 PS when installed in a van (as in 207d), whereas the one in the ad is listed as 69ps. I think the 615 220d engine is listed typically as 60 PS as in 406d).

Either way it would have the speed of a VW bus. Think about the 300TD it's only 1 cylinder longer and provides a lot more power. You can spin those engines up quite high.

tamangel

Adventurer
1967 Hanomag camper..

quite a while back, this rig was for sale on various sites..Nice unit..

price was around $15K USD..

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yes, I'd seen that one for sale. I was wondering if the owner was prowling this board and could give his or her opinion about it. I'm looking for something in Europe and there are a fair number of Hanomag's for sale over there at very reasonable prices. I've been assuming that the price is correlated with available power.
I did see a brief underhood picture on YouTube and since the air cleaner was on the left of the engine, I think this rules out the 200,220 or 240d engines because I'm pretty sure the intake is on the right side on all those engines.

I couldn't see any evidence of a toilet in the one I originally posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles