Rear Tow Points on a Tacoma

TacoCreedmoor

Are the only rear tow points on a Tacoma if you put a D-Ring or Tow Hook on your hitch? Or can you use one of these points in the pictures to attach to for a recovery or tow point?
Thanks for any input! :)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 55
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 49

karma11

Observer
Those holes are designed for safety chains when you are towing a trailer. I personally wouldn't recover a vehicle or tow something just off of those holes. you will want something a little more sturdy connected to the frame. i would be afraid of ripping out the steel there or bending the heck out of it, not to mention the safety concerns if something gave way while trying to recover a vehicle. (i see hooks going through windshields / bodies)

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The recommended method is to insert the loop end of a recovery strap into the square receiver and then put the hitch pin through the loop and secure it. That's a pretty safe, double-shear connection. I think it's even better than using one of the recovery hooks that goes into the receiver (you don't have to worry about the strap coming off the hook), and you don't have to buy or carry anything special, assuming you already have a pin.

129-1307-01%2Blow-buck-liberation-getting-unstuck%2Btow-strap-in-hitch-pin

Last edited:

Redneck92

Observer
The strap with the pin the ought the loop will work but it isn't the best method. The strap can rub against the edges of the receiver and fray or cut it. The shackle receiver is much better method compared to the strap and pin.

TacoCreedmoor

Thanks!

I feel kinda dumb for asking, now that I know those are for safety chains. That makes perfect sense. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable towing or doing a recovery using those.

My truck didn't come with a hitch pin, so I'll probably pick up a receiver shackle bracket...and a hitch pin. Seems like it should work well for doing a recovery of another vehicle.

v_man, are you putting the Master lock through where the hitch pin goes? It's kind of pricey, so I like the idea of helping it not walk away...

Thanks karma11, tanglefoot, KJP, v_man, and Redneck92! :sombrero:

robert

Expedition Leader
Get a heavy duty receiver pin, not one of the cheapo Wal-Mart versions. If you bend the pin it can be a real joy trying to cut it out.

xjaugie

Adventurer
I perfer the shackle shorty receiver, but have used the strap pin routine before. Both work, but like said before, I would not use the safety chain holes for recovery.

karma11

Observer
Creedmoor, don't ever feel dumb for asking a question, you know the old saying the only stupid question is the one not asked. its one of those things that if you haven't pulled a trailer, or hooked up a trailer very much then you probably wouldn't know what they were. im just glad that you asked before you used them possibly saving you some $$ or worse.

TacoCreedmoor

I'm definitely going for a heavy duty pin, don't want it to bend/break for safety reasons, but also I imagine that's quite a headache to try and remove once it's bent. Has anyone had experience with the locking hitch pins? Sounds like a good idea, but saw some poor reviews that involved the same key being used on multiple units. So people could steal it easily. Not sure yet if I'm going to go with the locking pin or just keep it all stored away until I need it.

I'm also looking at the WARN and the Smittybuilt receiver with shackle. Found some less expensive receivers out there, but then discovered they were only a class 2. Got a class IV hitch so want to make sure I get something that matches.

Thanks karma11, I appreciate it! I like to take it slow and safe and find out some information before I act. Don't want some ignorance on my part to result in the detriment to others.

v_man

Explorer
I'll get you some photos of my master lock pin ... I had not heard the same key opening up different locks thing , seems dubious . I have a front and rear receiver with locking pins and they both take different keys .

Toyotero

Explorer
I think that the only way to put *real* recovery points on the rear of a Taco (1st gen anyhow) for use of something such as an elastic strap, is a new rear bumper.
Tow hitches are a very strong point on the vehicle, much better than the bumper, and useful if there is nothing else, but they are designed for the forces of towing, no those of recovery. If you expect that you might get really stuck and require a lot of force to get recovered, something designed for recovery would be much better.

RB3H-9LX[1].jpg

Last edited:

4x4x4doors

Explorer
The negative point I've heard on the locking pin is it getting corroded so you can't unlock it when you want or the key disappearing. The times I've heard those mentioned were for someone who usually had a towball or a pintle hook normally mounted there.

v_man

Explorer
Here's the locking pin , it's pretty beefy , and so is the receiver . But yes , a little rust after several years of exposure.

It does have an endcap the covers the keyhole ...

IMG_1748_zps4c7f22d5.jpg

IMG_1750_zps075cdf15.jpg

Just throw a shackle through the receiver and you're good to go .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94