Fan clutch VS dual electric fan w/ manual switch on an RRC w/ 3.9L

My fan clutch went out in my 3.9L

I've heard about guys ditching the fan clutch all together and just going with a dual electric fan cooling system with manual switches.

Has anyone done this on the Range Rover Classic?
What's your experience?

Should I replace the fan clutch or go the twin turbo fans?

Any insight appreciated

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Not on the classic but on the Defender - I tried to make the dual electrics work but could never pull enough air through the radiator. YMMV.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Forget that. You'll forget to turn them on and...oops. Overheated the engine. Seen and done it multiple times.

Replace the fan clutch. One less thing to screw with.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Keep the stock fan and clutch. Better CFM than electric fans. The only advantage I can see with electric fans and the manual switch is that you can turn them off on water crossings to keep from spraying water over the engine. But, you can do that by just loosening the fan belt temporarily while fording, as the factory owner's manual suggests.

Red90

Adventurer
A properly implemented electric fan setup will work fine and be more reliable than the viscous unit. The people that have had bad experiences have not implemented proper OEM level electric fan system. There is no problem with air flow. There are vehicle using electric fans with many time more power than a 3.8 l Range Rover....

sedat

Adventurer
CK44PIR.jpg

aVGhUHE.jpg

Camaro fans I ran on a 4.2 powered 89 RRC a few years ago.

I just stick to the mechanical now.

jhawk

Adventurer
If set-up right with a controller and such you are looking at a combination that will work well. The down side is cost, and complexity. I've run both, and now just stick what was ever on the truck when it left the factory.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I have two electric fans wired up to a manual switch on my D1. What makes it work is an Ultragauge with an alarm if the temp starts to drift too high. Works great for me.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Is this unit for an electric fan system, or does it allow you to shut off the viscous fan unit?

For using electric fans as a replacement for the viscous unit. It is an insert for the water hose that allows easy insertion of the thermostat - the aftermarket fans such as Kenlowe use a probe with copper pipe that has to be inserted in the water hose and clamped around which is less than satisfactory.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that the stock mechanical fan and clutch put out at least 5000 CFM. They are also cheap, easy to replace and the fan clutches last years. If needed there are the factory auxiliary fans which will kick on if needed. The stock cooling system in a Land Rover is very good. When everything is working right and maintained you can idle a Rover V8 with the a/c on in 120+F temps all day and the motor will stay at around 185-95F. My nephew's D1 does this all the time in hot Las Vegas summers. So, why go to all the trouble and expense to modify something which works so well already?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Its what We call a "bandaid fix"
When the clutch in mine finally dies I'll swap my p38 fan/clutch assy. in.

Yeah. A lot of people I've seen on forums try to improve the cooling fans because they are overheating, instead of finding and correcting the underlying problem, which may be that the radiator is clogged after years of use and abuse, there is a head gasket issue, cooling leak elsewhere in the system, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online