San Diego county CCW 9th Circuit Decision

Modeler

W1DCS
It is great news and if upheld (if there is an appeal) could help our two entities fight for our 2A rights here in the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts. MA is a may issue state.

richard310

pew pew
Talk is cheap. Until CA starts issuing CCW's to responsible citizens without excessive strings, then I'll believe it. I don't believe CA will change that easily. The politicians will find a way to push their progressive liberal agenda some way or another.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Talk is cheap. Until CA starts issuing CCW's to responsible citizens without excessive strings, then I'll believe it. I don't believe CA will change that easily. The politicians will find a way to push their progressive liberal agenda some way or another.

Unfortunately in CA it is a county by county issue. I live in the second worst county where only the movie stars can get a CCW.

quickfarms

Adventurer
That's because if they issued them to the average Joe the murder rate would skyrocket, like it has everywhere else. :)

Your sarcasm is lost on the internet.

The LAPD does not want CCW's because they are afraid that their officers will be shot by these law abided armed people. The flaw in their logic is that the criminals that would shoot their offices do not obey the law and could never pass the background check.

richard310

pew pew
Your sarcasm is lost on the internet.

The LAPD does not want CCW's because they are afraid that their officers will be shot by these law abided armed people. The flaw in their logic is that the criminals that would shoot their offices do not obey the law and could never pass the background check.

That's the biggest flawed concept these people fail to see. Criminals don't care about laws!

SunFlower

Adventurer
Richard - I see you are in Torrance. Did you know your city spent $250,000 fighting a lawsuit over CCW's. They won the lawsuit but that was prior to the Peruta decision. So basically they wasted the tax payers money defending an unconstitutional policy.

brentbba

Explorer
Orange Counting is issuing CCW's as fast as they can process the applications. CCW training classes at one place I've taken other classes is sold out thru November the last time I looked and is addiing classes as fast as he can handle them.

His basic advice, get your app in and then sign up for a class. OC has added staff to handle all the applications. I haven't heard about our murder rate going up though!

As one poster said, gun laws are for law abiding folks. Criminals don't care about gun regulations and laws now do they? Doh!

This case is on appeal and the OC sherrif has taken the position that if overturned, she won't revoke CCW's issued, but just not renew them in 5 years. As far as I know OC is one of the few county's in the state to have embraced this ruling.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
What are the training requirements in California? Safety class? Some kind of qualification? Curious the process looks like.

Last edited:

brentbba

Explorer
What are the training requirements in California? Safety class? Some kind of qualification? Curious the process looks like.

Each county has their own requirements. Orange County is one of the more progressive embracing this ruling from what I understand. Application and fees, interview plus a qualified class. The one class I'm aware of is a two day class costing $200. Went to a basic handgun class put on by him and he said by the time you pay for all the application fees, class fees, etc. you are into a CCW for a good $500. I don't know what kind of safety demonstration, if any is required. Not aware of any range profiency requirement for actual shooting. All I know in the OC is that a statement about concern for your personal safety is about all that's required right now. No add'l job/safety needs required to be demonstrated right now. If this ruling is overturned, the OC sherrif has said she'd allow the CCW's issued during this period to remain and then just not renewed unless the holder met the old tighter standards.

smokeysbandit

I can tell you from experience that OC is in-fact issuing, but with some discretion. If you have too many citations, or a drug related offense, you will most likely be denied. The process took about 6 months from requesting appointment, to issuing, however I was one of the first to request an appointment after Peruta. There are 3 approved instructors with up to 16 hours of training, and a range qualification for each weapon. The Sherriff is also limiting the number of handguns you can have on your license to 3. There is a livescan, residency check, and interview process. All in all, it was relatively simple. Not what it should be from a constitutional perspective, but I was pleased with the end result, and am happy the Sherriff has taken the approach she has, as opposed to Riverside, San Diego, or LA.

brentbba

Explorer
Given that the 9th circuit has now dismissed Harris and Brady this is now law in CA. It'll be interesting for those of you in counties other than OC to see how your local sheriff's dept handles this. Has anyone inquired in the week or so that this has been law statewide? Post up!

cad_man

Given that the 9th circuit has now dismissed Harris and Brady this is now law in CA. It'll be interesting for those of you in counties other than OC to see how your local sheriff's dept handles this. Has anyone inquired in the week or so that this has been law statewide? Post up!

This is not accurate. As of today 11/29/2014, the Peruta ruling is currently NOT law in California. It is still up to the Sherriff's discretion as to how they issue CCW permits in their county. The Harris & Brady denial to intervene has not changed anything yet. Also, Harris filed a request for en banc review of her denial on 11/26/2014. You can find more info than you need about Peruta in the 2nd Amend. litigation updates & legal discussion forum over at Calguns. The last two posts of the thread below will get you up to date:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=893452

This could go on and on and on ...............

That said, my wife and I really hope we get the chance to renew our permits and not wind up putting them in a scrap book as a quaint reminder that we were actually able to carry at one time in California's distant past.

brentbba

Explorer
...and on and on is right! Law and enforcement, implementation of said law are two different things. OC has embraced it. I haven't heard that any other sheriff's dept's in the state have yet. Read up on AZ law last night - they have a CCW for the express purpose of reciprocity with other states that will accept it...of course California won't...does that surprise anyone?! Didn't me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles