You have to be kidding me

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I installed a solar blvd. 120 watt kit on my truck. So far, it has not charged my batteries. First, they replaced the solar controller but the first and second (Phocos) controller did not fix it. I was in SoCal so I stopped at their shop where they recommended a Xantrex unit that cost me an additional $90 for a digital read-out. Now they are telling me that their systems are not designed to work with "car batteries." I asked them what do you mean by car batteries, that could mean several types of batteries. They just repeated the car batteries statement. How many of you are using "car batteries"? What are these special 12 v solar batteries that I should be using according to Solar Blvd? I am using a pair of Odyssey group 31 agm's. Anyone else had problems with Solar Blvd? I thought they were reputable.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Sounds like we're using the same type. Mine are Exide Group 24 AGM deep-cycle marine batteries. Sounds odd.

v_man

Explorer
Sounds like they upsold you on the Xantex and then informed you that their system was not compatible with your car battery ?

That sounds like strange business practices and extremely shady if true .

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
They said ANY car battery. So according to them, any 12 volt battery used in an automotive application, regardless of type or construction, cannot be used by their solar systems.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Holy Crap Batman I may be in the same boat just haven't installed the 100 watt kit I got from them. Keep us in the loop. I called for some tech support and never got a call back will try again. Did I see something about Positive ground?

frans

Adventurer
Your experience seems contrary to what I was told directly from solar blvd. I will wait on my purchase until I know more about their products. Here is an email I got from Solar Blvd. I asked them specifically about charging a car battery for camping and they directed me to one of their products:

-----------
I wrote:
----- Original Message -----
To: Prashant ("Sean") Shewa
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: Your SolarBlvd.com Contact Us inquiry

Hey thank you for the reply.
I will be maintaining a sealed type deep cycle battery which will run a small portable refrigerator/freezer. During the day the vehicle will be run, so it will help with re-charging. The only other item that will drain the battery will be maybe two LED small spot lights for illuminating the cooking area and for a reading light inside the camper.
So, I was looking at this product from your web site: http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Pane...oldable-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html
Is 100W enough? Or should I be looking at some sort of kit with folding panels that offers a bit more, like 120W
What is your advice? And thank you so much for helping me with my purchase
frans

They replied:
Hi Frans,

I think the 120 watt foldable will be a better choice.

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Pane...oldable-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/
Prashant Shewa
http://www.solarblvd.com
prashant@solarblvd.com
Tel 951-279-8100
Fax 951-279-1108

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
The car battery comment is ridiculous.

I'd suspect you have an issue in your wiring and or connections if the battery is indeed not getting any solar electrons.

How are you determining that the batteries are not getting juice?

If they are fully charged already at sunup, the charge controller will might apply only enough current to hold them fully charged.

group31 Odyssey batteries are awesome batteries, however when deeply cycled they want huge recharging amps. your group31 wants 40 amps until 14.7v is reached, then it is to be held there for 4 hours while the amps taper.
100 watts of solar is a tiny fraction of that. Any solar is better than no solar, but proper recharging of Odyssey batteries is required to get their maximum lifespan and performance during that lifespan.

So there is a bit of truth to small solar systems not being meant for some automotive batteries

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The batteries have slowly drained. The digital readout on the controller has only ever shown 2amps and 24 volts in direct, bright sunlight. The batteries were at 12.7 volts, now only 11.85 volts. I hope it has not ruined my batteries. I need someone to recharge them correctly but I am in Flagstaff, which has proven to be an automotive wasteland so far. If you can't find it at Home Depot or Napa, it doesn't exist. The part that really pisses me off is Solar Blvd's attempt to bull$hit me with the car battery comment and unwillingness to help. This has gone on for weeks now. All they seem to know is how to process credit cards.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Something about this story does not jive. First is a battery is a battery unless you have a dead cell. The second is that the wireing and controller operation are stupid simple. I think your batt has a bad cell. If your heading down toward phoenix let me know. We will figure it out in a few minutes.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Dig out the specs for your panels and see how your charge currents match up to the specs..

How have you wired the batteries ,,,,?

if your charging at 24V the batteries will need to be in series

not in parallel, like most vehicle second battery circuits......

Some controllers have a dip switch or "settings" for diferent types of batteries, and voltages

Insure you have the right voltage set for the wiring of your batteries.

We are not infallible, I once set up and tested a solar panel system for a desert job

Told the workshop guys to pack up the gear and go and install it

They took the assembled but untested unit rather than the one I had rigged up and tested
as it was closer to the door.....

I had'nt changed the dip switch from the factory 12 to the batteries at 24 on that system

it took 3 site visits to find that little error !

I don't know of any solar system that won't work with deep cycle lead acid batteries, unless the controller is specifically designed for AGM,s which have a diferent charging voltage and regime

southpier

Expedition Leader
if you did use a credit card, there might be some recourse with the dealer in the event he is blowing off your concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier