5x8 Cargo Trailer Conversion

davidshourd

Adventurer
I have used sunforce before, in my FWC, and had no issues with it. Upgraded on this one and got one with the current and voltage read out. Nice feature. Seems to be working so far.

CLynn85

Explorer
Looking very good so far. Very similar to the direction we're going in for our 5x10.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk 2

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Subscribed. Tossing around doing the same thing for the same reason so I can get my bike places and set a comfy base camp.

I'm impressed with their build on the trailer.

Like some of the things you did and now on my list. I've been trying to find the perfect used trailer for the right price but it seems that all these sellers think that a 5 year old trailer only looses 5% of its value. I'm seeing new trailers, if I will make the drive to the factory for delivery, for not much more. There is place about 3 hours south of me that will do a custom build. They have a "motorcycle package" that gets tie downs,, wheel chock, RV style side door and nicer wheels. They have a Tall roof option to get a 6'3" floor to ceiling. I'm still up in the air about a flat front so I can put a propane tank out on the tounge or a V nose to make it a little more aerodynamic and some space for a galley.

Think you might like to look at this for some ideas. One of these popped up for sale locally and honestly after doing the math Id consider buying one if I could find a used one for around 8k.

They have a screen room that sets up on the drop gate to give a little extra space. I also like that they went with wheels under like a traditional camper and not prone of it like the typical cargo. http://www.utraderv.com/UT200AD_hyperlite-toy-hauler.html

Look forward to your updates.

Last edited:

dcollier32

Adventurer
Subscribed. Tossing around doing the same thing for the same reason so I can get my bike places and set a comfy base camp.

I'm impressed with their build on the trailer.

Like some of the things you did and now on my list. I've been trying to find the perfect used trailer for the right price but it seems that all these sellers think that a 5 year old trailer only looses 5% of its value. I'm seeing new trailers, if I will make the drive to the factory for delivery, for not much more. There is place about 3 hours south of me that will do a custom build. They have a "motorcycle package" that gets tie downs,, wheel chock, RV style side door and nicer wheels. They have a Tall roof option to get a 6'3" floor to ceiling. I'm still up in the air about a flat front so I can put a propane tank out on the tounge or a V nose to make it a little more aerodynamic and some space for a galley.

Think you might like to look at this for some ideas. One of these popped up for sale locally and honestly after doing the math Id consider buying one if I could find a used one for around 8k.

They have a screen room that sets up on the drop gate to give a little extra space. I also like that they went with wheels under like a traditional camper and not prone of it like the typical cargo. http://www.utraderv.com/UT200AD_hyperlite-toy-hauler.html

Look forward to your updates.

You know, I feel the same way you do about the cost of these used enclosed trailers in Ga. I looked for a while at doing one of these builds, but these people around here are ridiculous when it comes to price used equipment. I was at Northern Tool in Stockbridge today, and they have a 5x8 enclosed for $1699. It's not a tall one though

davidshourd

Adventurer
I shopped around a bit and there is certainly a quality difference with different manufacturers. so watch out for those really cheap new ones. some use only gauge C channel for the entire frame including the A frame tongue. you pay a little more for a tube frame but their same attention to using the right frame material goes into the rest of the construction. in the end I am less then 4500$ in on this build, trailer, solar, awnings, parts and pieces. not done yet, but I would guess under 500$ and I could get there. plans to add some sort of fold down bed system to the sides and still want to add a rear hitch on the back along with some "slider" type step rails from the tongue frame down to the wheel wells. holding off on that until I figure out if I am going to actually run the same pattern wheels with the same size tires that are on my truck. that would likely involve some custom fenders as well. seems a bit much right now so I will use it through the summer before making that call.

update on the build: pulled the trailer back into the garage to apply a thick deck coating product to the floor. its a restoleum product. about as thick as frozen yogurt. cut in the sides/corners with a brush then the rest rolls on. gives a nice durable texture. and you can get it tented to just about any color between white and black. says it should hold up to chemicals, hopefully that means gas without absorbing it to avoid fumes when set up as a camper.

IMG_20140318_185617_997.jpg
First coat complete. taking a little longer then suggested to dry in the 40 degree garage. tossed a space heater in there last night so hopefully the second coat can go on tonight.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
This is the one I'm thinking about.

http://www.gtltrailers.com/diamond-cargo-6x10-single-axle/

Its tube frame and wall framing. 16 on center on the walls with a 16 on center option on the floor (and I'd likely get that, my BWM K1100 LT is 600+ lb) Upgrade to a 6 lug axle with brakes to match my truck (toyota) would be one of the options I'd get. They don't list windows as a option but some of there other trailers do so I'm sure it could be done.

So is your trailer a Torsion or a leaf spring?

davidshourd

Adventurer
This is the one I'm thinking about.

http://www.gtltrailers.com/diamond-cargo-6x10-single-axle/

Its tube frame and wall framing. 16 on center on the walls with a 16 on center option on the floor (and I'd likely get that, my BWM K1100 LT is 600+ lb) Upgrade to a 6 lug axle with brakes to match my truck (toyota) would be one of the options I'd get. They don't list windows as a option but some of there other trailers do so I'm sure it could be done.

So is your trailer a Torsion or a leaf spring?

that looks nice man. not a bad deal at all. I bet your right about the windows, looks like the have the ability to do that. just a thought on that side door, see if they will do an "RV style" latch so it can be open/closed/locked from the inside or outside. don't have to worry about your buddies locking you in your trailer! :)

I specifically went with leafs. tried and true. though everyone says the torsion is much smoother I am not really concerned about smooth and more concerned about durability and maintenance. and ability to bounce around on some back roads that I drag it on.

davidshourd

Adventurer
test fit with the bikes the other day.
KLR650 on the left, KLX250 on the right. still enough room around them to stash some gear.
IMG_20140311_175706_121.jpg

not to mention the bed of the truck would still be empty for a change! (Shown with two KLX's, I wouldn't bother trying to get the hog KLR up in the truck!)

IMG_20130329_152854_436.jpg

davidshourd

Adventurer
Built a couple cabinets for the trailer over the weekend. started with just a good place to set the stove, turned into a bit more. ended up being a modular design that hangs on panel clips that then lock in place. allowing each cabinet to be "hung" from different spots around the trailer depending on the camp set up or just removed entirely if just hauling the bikes for the day. couple pictures:

20140330_191126_resized.jpg
20140330_191432_resized.jpg
20140330_191720_resized.jpg
20140330_191823_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste