5x8 Cargo Trailer Conversion

RedF

Adventurer
Outstanding build! I love the fact that it is still a "utility" trailer.

What do you use for a mattress/sleeping pad? Do you have storage for them worked out when the bed is folded away?

How effective is the insulation you added?

Any idea what it all weighs?

Last edited:

Philthyphil

Observer
I like what you did here. I've often thought of something similar but never had the time or the money. Just had our second daughter so camping is getting much more challenging with two girls and two large dogs, this is certainly an answer. Curious why you went with the two awnings rather than a fox wing? Strong work.

:victory:

orangeTJ

Explorer
... lready planning a couple trips with the KLR650 for this summer....

Nice trailer build. I've gone through a few cargo trailers myself

Might need to hook up and go for a ride sometime this summer. I just got my KLR back after having some work done to it, which took far too long.
I'm a tad north of Spokane and have been here 2 years, and haven't made any effort to get out and ride, and I need to make that happen this summer.
I've got a DRZ400S as well.

davidshourd

Adventurer
Outstanding build! I love the fact that it is still a "utility" trailer.

What do you use for a mattress/sleeping pad? Do you have storage for them worked out when the bed is folded away?

How effective is the insulation you added?

Any idea what it all weighs?

bedding is usually a double thermorest with a comforter on top of that for added padding. we just roll it up and store it as it make sense depending on what else we have in the trailer. the insulation has made a big difference on condensation on those cold nights. hard to say how much difference its really making over all as it was one of the first things I did so I do not have any experience without it.
total weight: the trailer alone weights just under 1000#, I figure with the added batteries, casework, awnings, stuff and things that its pushing around 1500# dry.

As for the double awning versus a fox awning: Amazon was having a deal on ARB awnings at the time. I have used them before on a Four Wheel Camper and was happy with their construction. plus they offer a nice width that works well with the 5x8 dimensions for both the front and back. they also are bolted right to the frame and create a water tight seal where they deploy from. where as a fox awning would only do that on the side its mounted to.

OrangeTJ: I have to admit, I have hardly been on my bikes this year. recently purchased some property north of sandpoint by about 10 miles and its been taking all of my free time. plus my trailer is living out there for the summer.

thanks everyone for all the positive feedback and questions. was a really fun build and is serving its purpose for me very well. after being in use for just about a year now I am happy to say there are few things I would change.

RWB_F150

Observer
Can you possible take more detail picture of your bed in the up position?
And the 2x4 set up that it rest on.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior