5x8 Cargo Trailer Conversion

davidshourd

Adventurer
Great build, my neighboro works out of a 5x8 enclosed trailer. Been looking at it for awhile thinking of possibilities. This might of just put me over the edge. Would like to know your final height, and how far off the ground your floor wound up. If you have already stated, sorry for missing it.

you know, I have not measured exactly. it "feels" like its around 20-22" of clearance so floor would be another 4.75" above that. I will check all the dimensions today and let you know. it should ride nice and level with a standard hitch now though, I was running a 3" drop hitch to get the trailer level before.

after tooling around on the trailer a bit last night I think I am going to get some diamond plate bent up for the inner fender instead of using the old "round" ones. here is a pour sketch of what I am thinking. looking at .125 diamond plate with a 1" turn down on the outside and a 4" turn down on the inside to attach and stiffen it up a bit. we shall see.
modified fenders.jpg

Last edited:

davidshourd

Adventurer
Fab shop completed the fenders Friday afternoon so I took some time on Saturday to complete the install on the trailer. really like the way this turned out and glad I went for the flat top fenders over the radius ones I had. tires are just sitting there in this picture as I am still waiting for the dang adapters to bolt the wheels up! hopefully in the next few days and I can wrap this project up. I order a couple "T" handles like you would find on the back of a locking truck canopy to retrofit onto the drawer pull out door on the tool boxes. you will see where I pulled the lock/latch they came with. they were are real POS and hardly stayed latched.

20140926_175232_resized_1.jpg 20140926_175250_resized_1.jpg

jhughes3281

Observer
This build is massive inspiration for me!

Although-would the factory not install some of the items you did like the insulation?

Last edited:

davidshourd

Adventurer
This build is massive inspiration for me!

Although-would the factory not install some of the items you did like the insulation?

yeah. I think they could have done the insulation. but beyond that I don't know. for the right money I sure you could find a trailer company that would fit you all out. that would take all the fun away though!

Where did you have the fenders fabbed at? I am a project that needs some fab work with diamond plate.

A local metal shop in Spokane. Krueger Sheet Metal. Great shop.

davidshourd

Adventurer
I received the adapters to finally get he wheels mounted up on the trailer this last weekend. really pleased with the new look, thought slightly more chrome than I prefer :)
20141016_163944_resized.jpg
20141016_163959_resized.jpg
20141016_164011_resized.jpg

Petrolburner

Explorer
Very nicely done all around. With the new height will you need to modify your tongue jack or stabilizers? I always use blocks anyways for my stabilizers, maybe you'll just have to stack a few more up.

davidshourd

Adventurer
took the trailer on a good camping trip last weekend. about 600 miles round trip. maybe 100 of those on gravel/dirt/mud/cobble outside of Leavenworth Wa. found some back roads up and over the mountains that were VERY steep, narrow and loose. FUN! only came head on with a couple other rigs out hunting and they were kind enough to nudge over while I continued through. 4 lo in 2nd gear was perfect for the descent and not have to ride the breaks the whole time. unfortunately I did not get the pictures I was hoping for (never take enough) but here are a couple from the weekend. end up above the cloud layer in the north cascades to be welcomed by blue sky's while rain was falling below.
20141018_170833_resized.jpg
20141018_162259_resized.jpg
20141018_161934_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94