5x8 Cargo Trailer Conversion

RBRHSV

Ouachita Mountains Rider
Question on the wheel adapters? Obviously the trailer hubs different than the Nissan wheels.
If I am correct, the Nissan has 5 x 4.5"
What did the trailer have?

Also, I may have missed it but what is the interior height in your finished trailer? (I need to be able to load my Tiger 800 that stands almost 60" tall!)

meental

Observer
What's the difference in track width between the trailer an your titan swapped fronty? What is the hub to hub width measurement on the trailer axle? After adding the adapters to 6x4.5?

RBRHSV

Ouachita Mountains Rider
Think I answered my own question: See that you have the 6-lug Titan wheels so that explains the adapters.

davidshourd

Adventurer
What's the difference in track width between the trailer an your titan swapped fronty? What is the hub to hub width measurement on the trailer axle? After adding the adapters to 6x4.5?

its only a couple inches wider on each side. maybe 2" or 3" on each side when eyeballing it. I intended to pull a string to get an exact measurement but forgot to last time I had it hooked up.

Think I answered my own question: See that you have the 6-lug Titan wheels so that explains the adapters.
I am running frontier wheels still. the titan swap I did retained the frontier drive hubs with custom length shafts from PRG.com. so the hub adapters on the trailer go from 5x4.5(trailer) to 6x4.5 (truck wheels). I tried to get a custom axle made to the right width with the right bolt pattern but no one makes a hub for that bolt pattern on trailers. would have had to get a custom hub made and it was much cheaper to just get a set of custom adapters. the adapters are 2 1/4" thick to adjust for the backspacing on the wheels and keep the sidewall of the tire about 1" from the side of the trailer.

As for the interior height, its only 62" and the rear opening is 54". that's off the website so I am not sure if that interior height is at the height point of the roof curve or not. I think it would be tough to get that tiger in there. with my KLR I have to pull the mirrors before loading.

meental

Observer
Thanks. I'm still looking at trailer options and liked your build, I have been looking at teardrops as well. I have a titan swapped Xterra and I'd like to stay around the same width. Seems like your pretty close with a livable space inside.

vladig

Observer
Huhmm if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your adapters from? So far I have found only one place online that will make 5x4.5 to 6x4.5 adapters. And I need to order a set soon as my TD is almost ready

RBRHSV

Ouachita Mountains Rider
wheel adapters

ditto on the adapter source and cost: 5 x 4.5" trailer to 6 x 4.5" Nissan
(Also the 2" thickness makes sense for the added backspacing)

davidshourd

Adventurer
ditto on the adapter source and cost: 5 x 4.5" trailer to 6 x 4.5" Nissan
(Also the 2" thickness makes sense for the added backspacing)

I sourced the adapters through http://prowheeladapters.com/ great guy that works there was really helpful considering I ordered the wrong adapters the first time and he took them back no questions asked and applied the full value towards the custom ones. But they outsource to a company out of California that does their one off custom. I wish I would have written down the name of the company off the shipping label as you could probably save some dollars going direct to them. It took about 2 weeks to get them as apparently they botched the first ones they made so had to make new ones, I think they just forgot to place the order honestly.... I searched around and just googled "custom wheel adapters" and there is a few companies that just specialize in one of request so you might want to try that instead of going through a middle man.

Edit on the 2" thickness for the adapters I used. they are 2 1/2". I came across my notes where I calc'd out what I needed and 2" would have only put 1/2" clear from side wall of tire to trailer face so I opted for the extra 1/2" figuring that 1/2" might keep less mud, rocks, ice, slush from rubbing on the side. ultimately I would like to get the trailer bed lined to match the bed liner on the side of my truck, including inside the wheel wells but honestly.....I don't think I will ever pull the trigger on that do to cost.

south of heaven

OP: Can you give me some more info on how you mounted the ARB awnings? I have a 5x8 with a flat roof and I bought the 8x8 ARB and the small one for the rear of the trailer. I dont need any mounts or roof racks right? I was just planning to buy some "L brackets" from HomeDepot and secure them to the roof? Am I in for a rude awakening??
Thanks!

davidshourd

Adventurer
OP: Can you give me some more info on how you mounted the ARB awnings? I have a 5x8 with a flat roof and I bought the 8x8 ARB and the small one for the rear of the trailer. I dont need any mounts or roof racks right? I was just planning to buy some "L brackets" from HomeDepot and secure them to the roof? Am I in for a rude awakening??
Thanks!

sure! I actually bolted mine through the trailer. on the back there was a solid, maybe 1/8" steel plate over the head of the rear door. made perfectly stout backing to just through bolt. on the back of that awning I also used some foam tape to provide some isolation between the back of the awning plate and the trailer. then once snugged up I caulked around the whole thing but left a few small weep holes on the bottom in case any condensation built up. for the larger awning on the side I through bolted to the trailers interior roof framing. but because the top of the side of the trailer is curved I used a 2"x4"x1/4" thick aluminum angle to tip the awning near vertical. and once again once everything was tightened up I sealed all around the angle and awning back plate with some RV grade caulking. I also thought about the roof rack but the trailer was already tall enough with the oversized tires so I really wanted to keep the awnings at a height that was easy to get to but high enough to walk under. worked out very well. just some thoughts. good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste