5x8 Cargo Trailer Conversion

davidshourd

Adventurer
I finally pulled the trigger on ordering up a 5x8 cargo trailer. primary use is pulling the KLR and KLX around but also wanted a double duty trailer. previously owning a four wheel camper (Eagle) I knew that I did not need much space to fit my needs. I found a trailer dealer here in Spokane Area that deals Mirage trailers. Mirage trailers will custom fabricate (to a point) to suite my needs (most of them). several other manufacturers that I reached out to would not. Further assisting in that decision Mirage was the best priced and from my limited review seemed to be the best constructed.

so here is what was ordered:
Mirage Trailer 5x8 Xcel model
Standard Features:
•3/4" Plywood Floor - 24" o/c (5/8" on 4 Wide)
•3/8" Plywood Walls - 24" o/c
•Tube Steel Roof Bows and Sidewalls
•Double Swinging Rear Doors. went with this instead of the ramp as it seems a little more durable and will allow some items to be mounted to it from the inside.
•Semi Style Cam Lock Door Latches
•Quick Lube Hubs w/ Grease Caps
•LED Corner Post Taillights
•(1) 12v LED Dome Light w/ Switch (Option on 4 Wide)
•Welded Safety Chains
•.080 Extruded Aluminum Roof Wraps
•Polar White .030 Beveled Aluminum Skin
•205/75D14 Bias Ply Tires w/ White Mod Wheels (13 on 4 Wide)
•24" ATP Stoneguard (12" on 4 Wide)
•Galvanized Roof
•3500# Spring Axle (2000# on 4 Wide)
•2000# Top Wind Jack (Tongue Stand on 4 Wide)
•Cam Lock Side Door (Most Models)
•Mill Finished Aluminum Front Corners (Most Models)
•Z-Tec Undercoating

Add on "Xtra" package:
•(2) Fold-Down Rear Stabilizer Jacks
•Upgrade to 32" RV style side door
•Wrapped Rear End
•Upgrade to 15" Radial Tires on Silver Mod Wheels
•Side Wall Air Flow Vents
•Door Hold-Backs

Things I added to the order:
-Roof Vent
-(2) 30x15 operable windows with screens. one on each side mounted a couple feet above the wheel wells.
-Metallic Grey sheet metal on the outside (matches the truck color, roughly).

Items I plan on adding:
-on board power management system with about 100W of solar panel(s).
-LED lighting interior and exterior
-8' ARB awning on the side door side.
-4' ARB awning off the back
-some sort of fold up bed system on the side walls that can collapse when hauling the bikes and deploy when out at camp.
-thinking I will chop the hitch off and put on a 2" receiver to receive a "Max Coupler" type hitch.
-add a 2" receiver on the back for the just in case moments
-line X up the sides about 16" to 24" (match the truck lines done in line X)
-some sort of "skids" or running bars coming off the A frame of the front turning back in at the wheel well. for mounting gas or propane too.
-flip the axle to get a couple more inches of clearance and maybe some wheel adapters to match the lug pattern on the truck. not sure about this yet. will play it out as I use it some more to see.

That's summarizes the project wish list for now. give me about 3-4 weeks to take receipt of the trailer for project photos.

(EDIT) here is a concept sketch of the graphic vinyl I am thinking about getting put on. the trailer is a metallic grey, thinking the graphic would be black so it would not pop. just be there in the background.
trailer graphic.jpg2012-12-02_15-16-22_888.jpg

Last edited:

davidshourd

Adventurer
added a couple pictures for reference. amazing what a little editing work can get you in a PDF editor (BlueBeam). used photoshop for years in college, WAY more functional but I think this gets the point across. pricing out the vinyl, boy...they don't give that stuff away. does anyone know any good sources for vinyl out there? Thanks-

java

Expedition Leader
added a couple pictures for reference. amazing what a little editing work can get you in a PDF editor (BlueBeam). used photoshop for years in college, WAY more functional but I think this gets the point across. pricing out the vinyl, boy...they don't give that stuff away. does anyone know any good sources for vinyl out there? Thanks-

ebay and amazon both have some. Search for vinyl wall art, or RV stuff.

davidshourd

Adventurer
thanks Java. made a couple quick searches and just not seeing anything big enough or the right "theme". Also seems like most of those are pretty thin and specifically for interior use. Is there a difference in the vinyl if used on a vehicle versus on my living room wall? I have a couple requests for quotes out, we will see what they come back with.

davidshourd

Adventurer
got all my parts ordered up for the electrical system. ended up going with some "flexible" 50W panels. two of them. so they can contour to the roof profile instead of having a big mounting system up there. trailer is still another 2 to 3 weeks away but just trying to round up all the parts. also ordered up an 8' ARB Awning for the curb side and a 4' ARB awning for the back. going with all LED lights that will run off one circuit for the interior and one circuit for the exterior, then localized switches on each light. 4 interior and 4 exterior.

ordered up the trailer tongue box to mount the battery in, but plan on mounting all the controls in the trailer at a little control panel cabinet that will be just inside the RV style door on the curb side. The main disconnect will be in the battery box though to kill the whole system.

trying to figure out a way to hook up a relay to power all the exterior lights when the vehicle is in reverse. still need to sketch through that a bit. here is the schematic I have put together so far (jpeg below). went with a Sunforce solar controller with voltage readout, had one on my four wheel camper and was satisfied with its performance. always kept the on board batteries topped off year round on the camper. my hope is for similar results here.

wiring schematic.jpg

socalctcamper

Observer
Appreciate the wiring diagram as I'm building a cargo trailer conversion as well. Mine is 6.5x10 and it's 6' on the inside.

davidshourd

Adventurer
Appreciate the wiring diagram as I'm building a cargo trailer conversion as well. Mine is 6.5x10 and it's 6' on the inside.

don't appreciate it too much, not tested yet :)
but also not far off from what I had running in the four wheel camper. also, I am going to add an isolator from the "12V charge line" coming off the truck wiring harness to the trailer battery to make sure the trailer battery does not have the ability to draw from the truck battery when parked overnight.

sounds like a nice set up your going for. any build pictures?

davidshourd

Adventurer
parts and pieces showing up.
IMG_20140226_183657_203.jpg
trailers still another couple weeks out! ended up going for the semi-flexible solar panels, 2 @ 50Watts so I can just adhere them right to the curved roof and keep them low out of harms way. The battery (Optima Blue Top Dry Cell) showed up with a small crack so they sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one. does not appear to be a crack all the way through the case so I think I will find an appropriate epoxy and just coat it up and go with a dual battery system. especially since the batteries will live in the tongue box.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I had an Optima that slid into the pulley on my pickup when the battery tie down came loose and it cut a pretty good sized gouge into it. I used JB Weld and filled it in and it worked great.

Is the Post Falls area still growing like mad? I haven't been through there for a few years now, but I couldn't believe what that area was like now. I was born and raised over in Wallace.

java

Expedition Leader
thanks Java. made a couple quick searches and just not seeing anything big enough or the right "theme". Also seems like most of those are pretty thin and specifically for interior use. Is there a difference in the vinyl if used on a vehicle versus on my living room wall? I have a couple requests for quotes out, we will see what they come back with.

Not as far as I can tell. I have had some of the "wall art" versions on my truck for more than a year with no issues so far.

davidshourd

Adventurer
I had an Optima that slid into the pulley on my pickup when the battery tie down came loose and it cut a pretty good sized gouge into it. I used JB Weld and filled it in and it worked great.

Is the Post Falls area still growing like mad? I haven't been through there for a few years now, but I couldn't believe what that area was like now. I was born and raised over in Wallace.

I have only been out here for about 6 months. but plenty of urban sprawling with newer housing developments to the north of I90. I am just on the south side, couple blocks from the Spokane River in a development from the 90's. its a nice location, just a couple miles from Cd'A and 25 miles to downtown Spokane (where I work). and just tons of outdoors to dive into without having to even get on a highway. found a route last fall that gets me on gravel in 15 miles, from there I could make it into Montana without ever hitting pavement or anything beyond a little logging/mining town. already planning a couple trips with the KLR650 for this summer. Wallace is a great town. just love going there on the weekends. head north to Prichard and take the snowmobiles out or just stop in for a beer at the Wallace Brewery.

update: 8' ARB awning showed up yesterday. thing is going to be huge! tons of outdoor living room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles