Another 1997 Outback

Hodaka

Adventurer
Thanks!
Got the interior cleaned, looks like I need to do struts before too long.
BTW, why the hell do dog owners let their dogs ruin the interiors of their cars? I guess I can't complain too much, just cost a bunch of money to get the interior cleaned with chemicals and now it doesn't stink like wet dog. Not like a few of the cars I've seen locally where the dogs had actually chewed and ripped up the inside. But seriously! Get a dog crate or something. Next time I'm shopping, I'll remember how much it cost to get the dog smell/hair out, and take that right off the top of what I pay!

/rantoff

Hodaka

Adventurer
Weekend update:
Went out turkey hunting on Friday, and she performed admirably!
image.jpg
Then, Sunday, the wife and kids were out cruising on the highway, and had a "surging" issue. They wisely shut it down, and preliminary diags point to fuel pump. I haven't checked it out myself yet, but it's time to change a few other parts, too: plugs and wires (not sure when they were done last, wires look old), fuel filter, coolant flush due, etc.

voodoojk

Adventurer
Nice looking suby. I have a 98 legacy outback with 199k miles/320k km. it's been a fun car but sound like the engine is going to let loose any day now. I use it to commute ( I have a 2012 tacoma too) so it sees about 30 miles a day. Sounding like a rattle trap now but still going!!

Hodaka

Adventurer
Update: slapped a new fuel pump in, and she's good to go.
I picked up oil and filter yesterday, but it's pouring rain today! I also have plugs, wires, and a fuel filter standing by here.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Been awhile since I updated. A slow coolant leak lead to a new radiator, which lead to an aux trans cooler install. Running great now, the radiator fan hardly comes on, even in the recent high 30's C heat. (Around 100F). A tip: the early 97 Outback has a 1" radiator core, the later ones up to '99 are 5/8". Not sure what it would take to fit the earlier rad to the newer cars, but I think it would be worth it.
I also just ordered a Subtle Solutions 1" lift kit, as well as 1/2" front and 3/8" rear spacers. KYBs will also be coming soon"

Hodaka

Adventurer
I think about 28" is the biggest I have seen with stock offset wheels. The limiting factor is the lower spring seat on the struts - push the tires out a little and you can go bigger. I'm sticking with 215/65/16 - a little over 27" - as the car is on the pavement a lot. The lift is just to put it at about the same height as my previous Legacy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles