Another 1997 Outback

Hodaka

Adventurer
So, I have owned several Subarus over the years, and have been driving Soobs since the mid 80's (WAY before it was a cool brand), and have "overlanded" in them since before I knew what overlanding was. I currently have 3 Soobs, with the latest acquisition being a nice 1997 Outback. Having recently discovered this forum, I thought I'd start a thread here on it.
Deets:
Blue (I think it's called Deep Saphire)
Auto-not my first choose, but my daughter will be driving it too.
Cold weather package
Head gaskets done within the last few years
Trans partially rebuilt recently (was sludgy)
Needs an interior shampoo, a brake job, and a clock spring repair or replacement.

The plans:
1.5" lift blocks
Headlight relay harness, possibly fog relay harness as well
Upgraded head unit with Bluetooth - speakers already upgraded
Hella yellow shieldz on the factory fogs, 9011 bulbs. Upgrade to Hella fogs as necessary
Taller A/T tires. Need to find some 15" wheels, as the previous owner changed up to 16" at some point.
Trailer hitch and wiring
Bigger trans cooler
Roof basket. Digging the Kuat Vagabond.
image.jpg
Got some goodies today:
image.jpg

Hodaka

Adventurer
BTW, here's one of my other Soobs:
1994 Legacy, 390,000 + KM's! Outback struts, Outback 16" wheel/tire set. Rusty/trusty
image.jpg

Hodaka

Adventurer
And here's my other. Prolly have to do a thread on it at some point, so I won't give a bunch of details now. It's a work in progress...
image.jpg

Hodaka

Adventurer
Started working on the fogs today:
image.jpg
Passenger side is a little more cracked then I thought, but the film should help it stay together.

Hodaka

Adventurer
It's not a Soob thing, it's a fog light thing. Basically, the human eye is able to process the light in the slightly yellow spectrum. So, when using fog lights in poor visibility conditions (snow, rain, fog), the yellow helps vision even more.
Incidentally, these are really the only conditions your fog lights should ever be used in.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I realize lights aren't a Subaru thing, but the need to add fog lights is. (my previous vehicles all had them stock)
So, a set of yellow driving/fog lights would increase sight in poor conditions on my Impreza wagon?

Hodaka

Adventurer
Also, keep in mind that driving lights and fog lights are for completely opposite situations. Driving lights are for seeing further on open roads in good conditions (when your high beams do not reach far enough), and fog lights are to light up the road close in front of you - and to the sides - in poor conditions.

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
Yellow tint glares less on water vapor/fog/snow. Some companies also make "foul weather" bulbs with a yellowish tint for the same reason...I've bought them from powerbulbs.com. The whiter/bluer lights glare more on water vapor...those guys that make their fogs whiter are doing it only to piss of oncoming drivers...err...I mean be cool.

Nice Soobs.

Hodaka

Adventurer
So, over the last week I managed to get a few minor details taken care of.
- installed Kenwood deck, and cleaned a bunch of crap out of the dash (years of dirt and dust bunnies)
- finished cleaning up an sealing PS fog light, film installed on it.
- installed 9005 bulbs in the fogs (will upgrade to 9012 or 9011 at a later date)
- put some feelers out locally for 15" wheels - plan to run 215/75-15 AT's
Unfortunately, we had a little over 12" of snow earlier in the week, so I was unable to do much outside.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Slow progress update:
Just about completed restoring the headlights with the Sylvania kit. I'm trying to track down ECE code headlights for the car, but might take awhile, so I thought I'd give the kit a try-looks promising so far, should be finished a little later today.

Hodaka

Adventurer
So, pretty big updates. Finished the headlight restore, replaced the clock spring, a bit more interior detailing, ran the microphone wire for the stereo. Then...
Full brake job! New rotors and pads all around. The brakes had not had any attention for a LONG time. One seized slider pin, all pads worn funny, all rotors looking bad. I think it had about 50% braking capacity! Still have to do a good flush and bleed, but it should be great now. Slapped on the summers it came with while I was at it. *ugh* touring tires. Have to remember to to tackle any trails until I get real tires - these things have really soft sidewalls.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hodaka

Adventurer
She's on the road! I've got a few hundred KM's on it now, working good. Still finding little odds and ends to take care of, but I want some wheel time to see if there are any $$ kinks to iron out.
image.jpg

Looking good. I like and admire your dedication to Subies and how you make them into true overland vehicles for your needs.

Keep it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne