Ford E350/Airstream B-190 for Weekend Adventures

Bristol

Observer
I have been wanting a camper van for quite a while and really looking at the older VW's. My wife and I and our baby boy LOVE hiking, but we live 2-3 hours from the good trails. So day trips involve a lot of tiresome driving. Car camping can be tiresome too with the time to setup and tear down camp. Thus the desire for a camper to get us out into the woods for the weekends and provide shelter, cooking, and a shower would be nice (requested by the wife).

Well it just happens that my father, an Airstream enthusiast, has decided to part with his 1995 B-190 camper built on the Ford E350 platform. He's giving me a great deal on it that I can't pass up. So I'm pretty excited and have been reading up on what I can do to make the B-190 more capable for weekend adventures. We go to get the van in March and have our first big, two week trip planned for May (mostly paved roads though, visiting state parks). I'm going to keep the mods mild to start with until I've used the van a bit and make sure it's what we want to keep for a while.

If we decide to keep it, then my plans include:

1. Removing the 1980's look pin stripe graphics, paint bumpers black, etc. I want to get the aesthetics away from "grandpa's RV" and more to "adventure van".
2. 4" or 6" lift (Action Van suspension kit), I can install it myself, no problem.
3. Beefy wheels with mud/gravel tires
4. Further down the road install a rear differential locker of some kind (air, automatic, something)

I'm getting the van at a real bargain price, so I can't really see throwing $5,000 worth of Aluminess bumpers on it or a $12,000 four wheel drive system. With the horrible weight, high center of gravity, and terrible departure angle that the B-190 has I can't really imagine doing any rock crawling with it or getting into anything so bad that I would need 4X4. I'm thinking that for fire roads and some mud the lift, better tires, and rear locker will get me 95% of the places I would want to go in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

I'll post up some photos from our trip (12 hr drive one way) next month to get the van. In the meantime, any input on the general direction I'm going with this van?

Kirk Bristol

Bristol

Observer
That sounds like a good plan. It would be nice if you could fit some 33-35" tires under it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can fit 33" tires with the 4" lift. Not sure about with the 6" lift. That's one thing I need to research more. I'll probably just call Action Van and ask for their input. I know cars pretty well, but I'm coming more from a sports car background. So a lot of this stuff (winches, air compressors for airing down/up tires, big tires, lift kits, etc.) is entirely new to me. But that's part of the fun, learning something new.

Kirk

bdog1

Adventurer
33's seems like overkill for a 2 wheel drive van. Those vans are tall and you already mentioned the center of gravity issue. How about the diff locker and E rated all terrain tires, then you can get a decent 8000# winch for three bills these days... Just in case! All the advantages without any regrets. Your really gonna enjoy the flexibility of van camping.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

B-190s look great on 37's... Our friend Jake has a kit on his 190. It drive waaaaaayy better now than it did stock. In stock form it was virtually undrivable.
vedadudu.jpg

Bristol

Observer
Wow, thanks for the input guys. I had not really researched winches much and was surprised that you can get a decent 8,000 lb winch for $300. I'll have to add that to my wish list.

I love the 37" tires, but that looks like overkill to me and it looks like it requires removing the running boards and doing some trimming... I'm thinking that 33" tires will suffice.

One thing that I feel I'll love about the van is the urban stealth camping you can do while getting to your destination. I HATE staying at cheap, crummy motels just to lay my head on a pillow. It will be nice to just pull off somewhere quiet, pull the curtains, and get some decent sleep. That big, ugly cap over the van will help with the stealth factor, unlike a pop-top (Sportsmobile, VW camper), it won't be so obvious that someone's sleeping in the van.

Kirk Bristol

Bristol

Observer
Our kits start at 4" lift w/33" tires

Well... I mentioned that our first big trip in the Airstream will be a two week trip this May. We're leaving from Texas to visit some of the big waterfalls in Eastern Tennessee and Transylvania County in North Carolina. I'm also going to get some driving instruction at the Land Rover school in Asheville. Looks like I'll be driving right by your shop! :p I'll have to call and arrange a time to stop in to get a first-hand look at what the potential of this rig is. You can probably help to "sell" the wife on the idea of making our Airstream more off-road capable too. :-D

Kirk

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Please do! We always have a few vans around and I can probably arrange to have Creampuff here too!

Maybe the LR guys will let us bring a van :D

Bristol

Observer
I Got Schooled!

Well I got a little education this weekend. A buddy and I took my Land Rover Evoque out to a local off-road park (Superlift ORV near Hot Springs, AR). The goal was just to have some fun and see what a bone stock Evoque could do on some of the trails. I figured seeing the capabilities of the sophisticated all wheel drive system of the LR would help to calibrate me regarding my expectations for what a 2X4 Airstream could possibly do. What we found was certainly interesting. The Evoque was pretty amazing IMHO as to what it could climb over out on the trails, but we were still limited to level 1 trails (what we called the "Bunny Slope" trails). Heck, even the main access road was challenging at points for the Evoque. We could also feel the AWD kicking in and transferring power even on some of the simpler stuff. So it became very clear to me that my expectations for a 2X4 Airstream, even with a lift and 33" tires, were very unrealistic. If we had been in a 2X4 we would have been stuck, several times, even on the Bunny Slopes! I think we could handle fire roads and some mud without a problem though, but I think the bone stock Airstream could probably do that as well.

Bottom line, I think if I want a semi-decent overland rig, then I'm going to have to look at the U-Joint 4X4 kit a lot more seriously because it's clear to me that if you want to do anything other than fire roads, gravel roads, or anything with an incline, then you're really going to need 4X4 sooner or later.

Kirk

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Tires have a lot to do with it. You would be surprised what you can accomplish with 2wd and good tires. :)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Wow, thanks for the input guys. I had not really researched winches much and was surprised that you can get a decent 8,000 lb winch for $300. I'll have to add that to my wish list.

Your van weighs nearly that or more EMPTY.

You need more winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior