1983 Datsun 720 4x4

photo 1.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 2.jpg

So I made a craigslist purchase this week. When I'm not traveling out of my Tacoma with a Four Wheel Ute, I spend time at a family cabin in the Columbia River Gorge. I spend about a quarter of the time there and am tired of driving my Taco into Portland for supplies. I started looking for an early 80s Toyota for a local rig, hauling supplies and the occasional camping trip. The problem with these early Toyota truck is that its the vehicle of choice for off roading in the PNW and unmolested trucks are virtually impossible to find. Frustrated, I started looking for other options and found this 1983 Datsun/Nissan 720 4x4. It was in great shape and a killer deal so I jumped on it. It's bone stock, has 200k miles and had one owner from 1983 to 2013. I'm excited to have a rig thats a little less complicated than my 2013 Tacoma with all the bells and whistles.

Here's the plan for the Build,
  • BFG Mud Terrain 235,75,15 (I wanted to keep the size stock) 5 are on the way.
  • Front and Rear Tubular bumper (Smittybilt made bumpers in the 80s but they are impossible to find now. so I will most likely have them fabbed)
  • Wood rack/skeleton canopy with canvas cover (I want to base it off of the ones commonly used on flatbed in Australia)
  • Hella H4 and H2 lights (the factory ones are very dim)
  • Line X the bed (it still has the factory bedliner)
  • Upgrade shocks (i dont want to lift the truck, its just a little jittery

I'm looking for a fab shop in the Portland Area that does tubular steel and aluminum. The new tires should show up on the 19th and I'm bringing the truck in to my mechanic to change all the fluids make sure its ship shape on the 18th.

Here are my ideas for the bumper. I want to keep it simple and very 80s.
$_1.JPGaries-3-inch-tubular-black-jeep-front-bumper.jpgaries-3-inch-tubular-black-jeep-rear-bumper.jpg

Heres my ideas for the lumber rack/canvas canopy. I envision the Frame having three vertical sections equally spaced on the 7.5 foot bed and attached via 4 bolts to the bed lip. I like how the fj79 has rods to keep wood from sliding off the side. As for the canvas, I envision having snaps attach it to the front and rear frame while the middle provides shape.
2013_toyota_landcruiser_70_series_lc79_double_cab_02-0803.jpg2252012155506ZFX183GP_(1).jpg

MTWheeler

Observer
A 720!!! :D

First off, you sir, have probably one of the cleanest 720's i have ever seen!!! It'll be cool to watch you build her up! Can't wait to see the end result! :)

Thanks Guys. I'm really excited. I registered the truck yesterday and found out that the supposed factory Curb Weight is 2900 and the GVWR is 4600, giving the truck a payload of 1700lbs. If only small trucks still had payloads like that.

anyone know about suspension options? Its not like a toyota where Old Man Emu makes lift systems. I found these on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-HD-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d368de10c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Rear-Gas-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d45b3cef4&vxp=mtr

foster

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Dude.... That thing is beautiful! I can't wait to see what you do with it. I really like the rack idea and the bumper. 235/85s will look amazing on that pickup. Very 80s.

Love it! Sub'd.

richard310

pew pew
Keeping it simple. The way trucks should be. I love the future plans for this thing; simple and to the point! It is definitely a sweet pick up.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Fantastic find !! I will forever hold the 720's near and dear to my heart. I would have never gotten rid of my last one if I hadn't gotten to the point where I could no longer drive a manual.

I highly recommend picking up a Weber 32/36 carb. Substantial power increase as well as MPG's.Clean up about 10 miles worth of vacuum lines. Couple that with a header for an even more dramatic increase.
Do away with the mechanical fan and add an e-fan. I had no problem getting mid 20's with these mods.

Blah,Blah, Blah... I could go on forever. Sorry to clutter your thread , just get excited to see these trucks ecspecially in this condition.

I hafta include a picture of my baby, just because. Again sorry to clutter your thread.

skidderpics-027.jpg

Been in an out of these trucks for years so I might be able to answer questions if you have any.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Thanks Guys. I'm really excited. I registered the truck yesterday and found out that the supposed factory Curb Weight is 2900 and the GVWR is 4600, giving the truck a payload of 1700lbs. If only small trucks still had payloads like that.

anyone know about suspension options? Its not like a toyota where Old Man Emu makes lift systems. I found these on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-HD-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d368de10c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Rear-Gas-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d45b3cef4&vxp=mtr

foster

4x4 Parts offers a couple options for suspension upgrades.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/suspension-lifts-lift-packages-720-pickup-c-435_437_44.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke