Freezer Fridge Slide suggestions

Taking A Trip

Expo, I'm looking for recommendations on a freezer fridge slide. I would like long term suggestions is possible. I built my own in the past and it was ok, $20 in material and it got the job done. It lacked clean lines and longevity. I'll even purchase a used one if you've got one. I considered a drop slide but it won't work with the rear of my 4Runner.... a tilt slide would be could but isn't necessary either.

Using a Engel MT45

Thank You

Aaron

I have an ARB 50 QT mounted on an ARB slide. It rattles...so much so that I would suggest choosing another slide.

hope that helps :)

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
Hmm, that's not good. The guys at Slee said they've been happy with the ARB. The guys at Sierra said the ARB is OK and the Front Runner is prone to rattles unless you adjust the stops at the back to the point where it makes it hard to actually close/latch the slide in place.

Here's the one I'd like, only $900 plus $200+ shipping from AU!
es-1_009floating.jpg

Ramjet

Explorer
I've had my Front runner for about a year. Has never rattled. Very easy to close. Yes, you can adjust the backstop, but it's not hard.

fireball

Explorer
Hey Ram, thanks for the feedback. What fridge do you have mounted on it? Why did you choose the front runner over the ARB?

Thanks for any insight.

Ramjet

Explorer
Hey Ram, thanks for the feedback. What fridge do you have mounted on it? Why did you choose the front runner over the ARB?

Thanks for any insight.

I have an Engel 45 mounted on it. It is a bit wider than the fridge is so there is a little bit of space front and back, really not that big a deal. I bought it because it was cheaper than the arb slide. Plus, I really liked the profile of it.

fireball

Explorer
Hmm...exact same reason I was looking at it. I may just make one, we don't have a lot of room to spare in the back of the LC and I want it to fit pretty exact.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Hmm...exact same reason I was looking at it. I may just make one, we don't have a lot of room to spare in the back of the LC and I want it to fit pretty exact.

I say make it yourself. That way you can have it fit EXACTLY where and how you want it to. it's usually MUCH less expensive that way, too! ;)

fireball

Explorer
YDR - I think I've seen photos of your mastermind setup, but could you provide any other detailed photos or insight into what you did? My woodworking skills are a far cry better than metal working but I'm sure I can figure it out! My main concerns are that it's rattle free and easily used by my wife and kids! The current juggling act of removing all the gear on top of the cooler, pulling it out and setting it on the tailgate then reorganizing and putting everything back in the truck is getting quite old!

Taking A Trip

After posting about the ARB slide making so much noise I spent some time loosening and tightening the slide rollers while keeping pressure against the rollers in the direction of the slide. I've got to retract my statement about the rattles. "tuning" the slide a little has paid off in a MUCH quieter mechanism. Good luck

Box Rocket

I made my own. I found some HD drawer slides a couple years ago and they just sat for a long time until I finally put them to use. I have an older style ARB fridge and I'm using an Engel Transit Lock to lock the fridge down. I built a "sub-frame" from some 1" tubing to mount the Transit Lock to and to attach to the slides. Welded some L brackets to the outside of the slides and used some eye bolts to bolt it to the bed. the eye bolts give me a few more tie down points in the bed. Overall it works really well. The only downside with it is that it doesn't use sealed bearings so I need to clean it out occasionally and relube it. If it were inside a closed vehicle this wouldn't even be a concern, but mine's in an open bed. Overall I'm really happy with it.

TXLX

Observer
Nothing too fancy with mine. 24" Home Depot slides, plywood, and some hardware. Cost $100 probably since I had to buy a whole sheet of wood. It's sturdy, quiet, locks closed and open, and wife friendly. Has table for cooking, setting things, etc which comes in handy.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Box Rocket

Really nice truck! The mount bracket looks really good!
I just noticed, in the picture, that the back bumper looks that is not straight. Is made that way or the weight of the wheel and accessories make that happen?

That was the first bumper I ever built. When I cut the opening for the receiver and rewelded it all there is a bit of warping. That's what caused the slight "frown" you can see. I've built a few of those bumpers since and have a jig to keep it all straight.

Guri

Explorer
That was the first bumper I ever built. When I cut the opening for the receiver and rewelded it all there is a bit of warping. That's what caused the slight "frown" you can see. I've built a few of those bumpers since and have a jig to keep it all straight.
Is the natural process to live and learn!... I still learning...
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior