Looking to buy a bike

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I found my way to this section of the forum after riding a bike for the first time just about a week ago. I loved it. The bike was a 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250, it was pretty good fun. I'm a college student, so I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I could definitely use some pointers on places to look, and bikes to look for. I'm 5'9, so I'd like something that is a little smaller, light, comfortable, and fun to ride. Not really into flashy, chrome, loud.

My main concerns are fuel efficiency and reliability. I really like the style of bikes like the Honda Rebel 250, Vstar 250, and I really liked the looks of the Triumph Scrambler that appeared on the home page of the forum today. I don't even know what that style is, but I like the thought of "classic" bikes. Doesn't have to be super fast, just cool. If that makes any sense.

Any suggestions of other bikes to be aware of, or places to look? I currently live in Georgia. Thanks!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Cycletrader, Craigslist and your local classifieds will be your best bet for sourcing a new bike. As for what bike to get, that's a wildly open ended question. I will say, the words "Triumph Scrambler" and "Rebel 250" should never occupy space in the same sentence. :) A Rebel 250 barely has enough power to get out of its own way. Seriously, I'd advocate for a Vespa GT250 over a Rebel.

You might also like the looks of a Royal Enfield Bullet. They can be found on the cheap.

0ddball

How much do you have to spend? I would recommend a DR650 or KLR650. These are great all-a-rounders with a cult like following and tons of supplier. Head over to Adventure Rider for more information that you could read in a lifetime.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Are you looking for something mainly to put around town on or something for longer adventure rides?

I picked up a 1980 KE100 that had just sat in a garage for 10 year off CL for $100. Cleaned the tank, carb, new tires, couple of bulbs and it was running again. Great little bike for cruising around town. Put 2300 miles on it in 2 1/2 months. Longest one day ride being just over 200 miles to my parents house and back. I'm currently planning on riding it to the Bellingham, WA area in July.

The Rebel and Vstar are cruisers and the Triumph is a scrambler.
Cruiser Motorcycles
Scrambler Motorcycles

You may also like these styles
Enduro Motorcycles
Cafe Racer Motorcycles
Naked Motorcycles - careful, some of the returned images are NSFW
Standard Motorcycles
Motard Motorcycles
Scrambler Motorcycles

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I really like the standard, naked, and scrambler styles. I'm 22, don't really feel the need for a crotch rocket.

I'd like to spend about 2,000 dollars or less preferably. I just want to learn how to ride better, do it/experience it....that kinda thing.

My buddy from MN told me I could probably buy a used bike and sell it 6months to a year down the road for almost what I paid for it.

I just need to place to look to buy a bike, and really what bikes to look for. Efficient, not flashy/noisy, and fun.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Now that you know the styles of bikes you like and have a budget it's time to start looking.

With your budget I'd try to find something for under $1200 that needs a little work or something under $1700 that needs nothing. This is including the TTL in your budget.

I picked my KE100 up off Craigslist for $100, having sat in a garage for over 10 years with deflated tires. Doing the work myself it cost me about $200 for tires, plugs, battery, bulbs, gaskets, fuel petcock and oil to make it rideable and legal and the state wanted about $250. I've since spent another $75 on sprockets and a chain and $300 on a cylinder repair / overbore and a new piston.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

The ninja 250 is hands down the best started bike IMHO! Not only is it extremely forgiving, but it can keep up on the interstate all day and has respectably breaking and handling.

Other 250cc bikes are good, but they are not nearly as good at real world riding or going highway speeds for prolonged periods.

The SV 650 is another popular starter bike, but I feel it is a bit much for a first bike.

D

Deleted member 9101

For the record, my first bike was a 1969 Honda CL 125, in bright yellow of course

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think the Suzuki SV 650 is a great idea. I for one think new riders can benefit from a bike with a reasonable representative of actual power. Some situations can be improved with more throttle. It also teaches a respect for power. And an SV 650 is hardly a Hayabusa. :)

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I wish I could find a KLR for like 1500$, so difficult. I figure I could get most of my money back when I decide to sell it..

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I like the KLR's, how heavy are they compared to a small 250 like the Rebel?

I was shocked to see the Rebel's dry weight is 331lbs, versus around 400lbs for the KLR (300lbs for a KLR250). But with any dual sport bike, they tend to be top heavy for their weight. Not really an issue once you're moving, but it can be a bit intimidating - especially when you're used to a small cruiser with a seat height 8" lower. The KLR's huge tank can aggravate this.

I wish I could find a KLR for like 1500$, so difficult. I figure I could get most of my money back when I decide to sell it..

Whether you spend $1500, $2500, or $3500, if you buy one in decent shape you won't take much of a hit after one season. Unfortunately, prices will soon start ramping up (probably have already out West). Buy cold and sell warm!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne