Storage box solution? That isn't outrageously priced

libarata

Expedition Leader
I have ordered a Plano Sportsmans Trunk(medium). I will do my best to upload pictures and an initial impression once it is in my possession.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Well, the Plano Sportsmans Trunk(medium) has been in the back of my Forester, up top, filled with catfood,rice, and whatever else I had laying around. I sat on it, used it as a small table, sprayed it with a hose rightside up, and upsidedown. It sat out in the rain last night(on the ground). No water, dust, dirt, debris entered into the box. While using it as furniture, there was no flex, no crackling, no evidence of stress. The sweet upside, is that they are made to stack, and mostly lock into place. I can fit a total of six in the trunk of my car, or ten with the seats down.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I will say I utilized pelicans warranty today. I swapped a pelican storm iM3075 for a pelican 1650 and it had about three latches broke on it. Called up pelican and they are sending me about 7 latches and all the hardware to to fix them. Gotta call back tomorrow and ask about a new 1600 decal for the camp kitchen.
yryby9ud.jpg

DaveNay

Adventurer
I spotted these at Farm & Fleet today. They are gasketed and have padlock holes. Price was $39.99 ea

10577590_10204709413884903_786388153_o.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
Sweet! At least we can still make boxes out of oil. How sturdy are the lids? The plano lids are strong enough for 190lbs of me to sit on em.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I can't say. I didn't inspect them in that regard.

It is just something I do with boxes. When I had my Frontier, I would sit on the tailgate. Now that I have my Forester, the bumper is just so damn dirty half the time.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Sterilite-18426402-rw-209327-319104.jpg

We have a couple of these Sterilite footlockers and they work pretty darn well. They're not sealed, but have wheels on the bottom, which is great for moving them in and out of our truck or trailer.

"Heavy-duty polypropylene container features galvanized steel hinges and latches and smooth-rolling wheels to quickly move it from room to room. Locks with a standard padlock (not included). Includes side handle. Holds up to 50 lb. Black. 31"L x 17½"W x 14"H; 10 lb."

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProd...tab=Description&ProductCategory=278&section=1

chuppie

Observer
I have 2 Sterilite Containers about $21 each and two Plano XXL about $33 each. In hindsite, I would have 4 Plano containers but both are holding up well. I tarp my trailer so water isn't an issue but they are not water tight. Both have held up very well and they are fully loaded. Whatever the opposite of a minimalist is, that is my wife. Neither brand in strong enough to for a grown man to sit on, but plenty strong to stack and put coolers on.
IMG_20140908_173510.jpg
IMG_20140908_173624.jpg

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Sweet! At least we can still make boxes out of oil. How sturdy are the lids? The plano lids are strong enough for 190lbs of me to sit on em.

These are the same bins I mentioned in post #38.
The lids are reinforced, so they can be used as a seat, but likely with some flex.
Weather tight lid and made in the USA were two of my criteria.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior