Storage box solution? That isn't outrageously priced

Well I'm planning on adding a drawer system to the back of my Nissan Frontier this summer, but I'm also looking at having totes to place inside the drawer system, as well as some to keep up in the back seat. I'm looking for interlocking totes that are stack-able. Most importantly I want them to be very durable, not cheap plastic. Square would be best, most Rubbermaid items I find have a stupid unusable taper from wide to skinny top to bottom. So searching this forum I see a lot of you use pelican, or some other military grade tote and that's fine if you have the bankroll. But I can't justify spending $300-$400 on a plastic box, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So with that being said any suggestions?

Dazrin

Adventurer
I went with one of each of these under my platform:
Modular tote: http://www.zorotools.com/g/Modular Tote Boxes/00052452/ Similar to what doug720 posted.
Stacking container: http://www.zorotools.com/g/Heavy-Duty Stacking Containers/00052448/

They are durable, not up to par with a Pelican, but better than most of the totes you can find at the home improvement store. There are lots of sizes and even colors available for each of these options (some colors are cheaper than others, so look around unless you want a specific color). With these I find I don't miss having a drawer at all. They have straight sides too for maximum capacity. These particular ones don't nest (sit inside each other), there are options that do but you give up the straight walls. I think some sizes have separate lids available.

For me, I use the modular one with a solid bottom/sides for spare fluids, I got a couple of the dividers to keep things in place too. Works well.
The other is a solid bottom and mesh sides so it is a little lighter, I can see into it well, and things still won't fall through. I use it for miscellaneous stuff like parts and tools that aren't in a bag or other area.

You can sometimes find a 20%-30% off coupon for Zoro as well, making the prices better.

Westy

Adventurer
Try craigslist or eBay for Pelican and Hardigg cases. Be patient and the deals are out there.

khronus79

Adventurer
I bought a few Plano storage trunks, did a month long trip with 2 of them on top of the roof rack, they went through some rough weather including 2 hail storms and performed flawlessly, they were completely waterproof

edit found a pic of them:

DSC_0513A by Morales Cesar, on Flickr

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I use Akro-Mils Attached Lid Containers. I don't really need waterproof containers and Pelicans are not efficient with use of space.
Attached-Lid-Containers.aspx

http://www.akro-mils.com/Products/Industrial/Totes-Containers/Attached-Lid-Containers.aspx

These are the containers you see used by Best Buy, Target, 7-11 to deliver products to their stores. These commercial grade totes were designed to stack 3-5 high (depending on which size) and placed on a pallet loaded with heavy loads. Avoid the $5 special tote at Home Depot or Walmart as those collapse when you use a cargo strap to tie them down to the bed/floor of your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra