Big Rig Expedition Vehicles for RTW travel

peneumbra

Explorer
One solution might be to strap the kids to the roof with duct tape, or something similar. Saves room for the humans --- pardon me, ADULTS -- on the inside. And they'll probably get over it, eventually...

wayno

@julius, thanks for the links and dimensional information. I really do like that unicat 8x8, and I had no idea that you could buy them that way new from MAN. For some reason I always assumed the 8x8's were some type of government military surplus vehicles refreshed from Cold War missile carriers, but I guess that's just the large Russian trucks. I really liked the pic of the new one with no body on the back, very bizarre looking empty.

Unfortunately though, since I am from the us and plan on continuing to maintain residence and registration here, I won't be able to use any of those euro spec models.

@diplostrat thanks for your advice on the "foreign" trucks and the links to the tortugas website. I will have to read up on them, but so far it sounds right up my alley. I will have to really think about the idea of a pre 2007 chassis for used requirements.

Being a US based rig, it would most definitely be LHD, and I do hope to take it to Australia at some point. Charlie, were you able to or did you leave your vehicle in Australia while you returned to your home port to visit family or anything similar? Just wondering if this was allowed in Australia?

As for traveling with teenagers, as I said that would be the plan, but also note my oldest is currently only six. :). I am hoping they continue to like their parents and want to travel the world with us. Right now they are all on board and gung-ho for daddy's camper!

Thanks,
Wayno

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
wayno,

Some comments:

-- Teens should not be an issue. Cuthbert took his kids; they even helped build the beast. My kids grew up in a Blazer in the bush. To be fair, neither has shown any interest in overlanding, but neither did they have any difficulty. And neither would give up the experiences that they had.

-- Tigers are exported all the time; two are under construction right now for a customer in Mongolia. Mine, and the one right after it, will be en route to Europe in the next year or three. Having spent much of my life in South America and Africa, I don't plan to go back, but a recent trip to Australia put that continent on the radar. The Siberian Tiger is about the size of an Earthroamer and, as it would be a custom build, it is quite possible that you might be able to get one with extra beds, etc. http://www.tigervehicles.com/tiger-models/siberian/

-- I have been told, but cannot confirm, that you can often get a good deal on a crew cab, dual rear wheel pickup, that was bought to pull a fifth wheel, and is now being sold by someone who decided that they don't like fifth wheels. A quick cruise of Carmax tends to support that idea, but I can't guarantee it.

Finally, I am semi-local to you and you are most welcome to come view Ndeke Luka, should you wish. http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/ndeke_luka

julius0377

Adventurer
Weights

On the topic of dimensional information, weights is often overlooked when traveling in Europe, and can lead to large-ish fines if not considered. Each country is different, and has to be researched individually. It does not matter if your vehicle is registered in another country, the weight classes are absolute and final, for all traveling on the road.

Here is a table of maximum weights (don't know if its accurate), the maximum weights are usually highways and other large roads, with backroads and scenic routes having lower specs (closer to 6 tonnes pr. axle): http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/IntOrg/road/pdf/weights.pdf

To give you an idea of how complex this is for the nordic countries, the maximum permissible weight in each road class for your vehicle will be calculated differently based on factors like:
*Distance between axles
*Winter or summer
*Tractor vehicle with trailer, or rigid, (and number of axles)
*How many axles the trailer has
*How many of the axles are driven (4x4, 6x4, 6x6, etc.)
*Dual wheels or single wheels
*Airbags or steel springs
*How many axles are steered
*If the steered axles are friction or forced.
*Etc....
If you create an RV thats in the very large category with axle weights close to 10 tonnes, you will not be allowed to travel a lot of backroads and scenic routes, where you would most likely want to travel. Note: a lot of truck drivers do this anyway, and it leads to problems with damaged roads.

You can get all the info you need from this link for Norway as an example, (other countries have similar information offerings, usually in several languages): http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/...st_title=Donna+Diesel+Truckers+guide+(GB).pdf

Part of my decision to go for a Bimobil EX480 was the weight and dimensions. It's a 4x4 with less than 6 tonnes pr. axle and lower than 3,5 metres height. I can go just about anywhere without major problems, if I had a Unicat/Action Mobil from their medium size offerings I would be more limited. I would have loved to be able to afford one, yet would have had to plan my routes differently and not so freely as I do now.

For a global expedition vehicle an engine retarder/brake is also recommended. Where there are steep mountains (the Alps, Norway) you see trucks standing by the side of the road with smoke coming from the wheels/brakes, particularly in summer.

Lastly: vehicle width is calculated without the mirrors. Only the rigid "unfoldable" parts of the vehicle count.

rblackwell

Adventurer
There is a lot of good advice from all kinds of folks in these replies.

We r driving a 11,000 kg Unimog with camper - so we have some experience with big vehicles. You can read about vehicle and trip at whiteacorn.com

Don't be put off US vehicles. The advice from others is correct. No vehicle is easily repairable EVERWHERE.

If you break down seriously you will have to source parts no matter what you are driving.

When thinking about repairs on the road think first about general service parts like filters, belts etc.

Then think about tires, wheels, springs, shocks - the stuff that bad roads destroy.

Surprisingly tires can be a real hassle. So if you are really worried about "repairability" don't go too exotic.
20" wheels and standard sizes like 20x13 20x14
22.5 with standard sizes 295/75R22.5 385/65R22.5 - these later tires are on 1/2 the semi fleet throughout europe and asia

Engines and transmissions are generally pretty robust. You should ensure those are good before you leave home.

CAT and Cummins engines are somewhat understood most places and in the US one can get trucks with Mercedes engines.

In Iran we saw lots of Freightliner and Mack trucks.

Rules I would follow even more strictly given my experiences
1. make sure the truck is NOT overloaded
2. don't modify the truck - you wont get it right the first time and trying again in a place like Mongolia is not fun
3. learn as much as you can about the known weak points of your truck - talk to mechanics that work you brand/model of truck

Keep you height under 3.5 meters. Our is 4 meters and it requires constant observation so as not to hit trees, and believe it or not building balconies in places like Greece.

Big and/or old vehicles are a hassle in Europe full stop.

Austria freeway tolls - 28cents per KM for ANY vehicle over 7.5 T and older than 2003

Germany - vehicles older that 2003 cannot get emission approval stickers to enter most cities

Germany - trucks are not allowed on the autobahns on Sundays - you might get away with it as a motorhome but not is you are over 12 T

Generally if you make you vehicle look like a bus rather than a truck life will be easier in many places. EG Road taxes entering Turkmenistan 13 cents/km for truck 9cents/km for a bus. They have no such category as motorhome. If it looks like a truck it is a truck.

You might like to look at this site - these guys try to keep track of expedition vehicles for sale
http://www.expedition-trucks.com/brokers
and they might be able to give you some advice on how to register an expedition vehicle. I know one of them registered theirs
in the UAE (United Arab Eirates).

batik99

Rblackwell, great insights. Been following your blogs with great interest.
Whats your thoughts about cabover vs non cabover; especially having owned an er and a mog. I mean that's the other big difference between us and euro trucks.
To the casual observer, having an engine forward seems like a waste of 0.5m that can be used for cabin space otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
To the casual observer, having an engine forward seems like a waste of 0.5m that can be used for cabin space otherwise.
Much more the 0.5m (18") in most cases. From the front bumper to the rear of the cab on my Fuso (cabover) is 5 feet (1.5 m) and the same measurement on my F250 is 10 feet (3.0 m) {both are 2002}. So for my setup that is 20 feet (6.0m) overall that is 25% of 'wasted' length. A few more benefits of a cabover is much greater visibility, 500% better engine access (at least in my case, will vary by truck models), and better visibility being higher up (in general, will vary by model).

peneumbra

Explorer
I'll bet there's a way of registering that thing in the U.S., although you'd have to be... crafty.

I've seen stranger things happen...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'll bet there's a way of registering that thing in the U.S., although you'd have to be... crafty.

I've seen stranger things happen...

The issue is not registering it, the issue is importing it. Plenty of states you could register it in if you could get it through customs.

peneumbra

Explorer
Well, you SNEAK it through customs!! Let me tell you about the time I brought in--

Never mind; I probably shouldn't let that story get out. But getting a vehicle like that into the U.S. can be done...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Well, you SNEAK it through customs!! Let me tell you about the time I brought in--

Never mind; I probably shouldn't let that story get out. But getting a vehicle like that into the U.S. can be done...

pretty big roll of the dice to take with such an expensive vehicle though.

peneumbra

Explorer
We managed to get a totally paperless 8x8 Tatra into the country (which was owned - formerly - by the Iraqi Army) without a whisper of complaint.

So, here's what we'll do: you send me the $400 or $500 K to buy the truck, and I'll deal with the fine print. Sound good so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne