Do I need to re gear?

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Looking at ordering a '14 Rubi automatic. If I lift and add 35's do I need to change gears as well?

Second thought was 2.5 lift and 33's

Thanks for any insight

Jim

Last edited:

the59sound

Observer
It wouldn't hurt. it kind of depends on how you want to wheel and what kind of terrain you live in. I live in south Alabama and have 4.10 gears in my 07 and I run 35s fine. If you have ever been down here you know how flat it is. Now when I get on the interstate and start getting into hills I would love to have different gears. When I'm off road there hasn't been a time that I've wished I had any other gearing.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Vermejo

Adventurer
My '12 Rubi is equipped with 3:73 gears and rolling on 35's. I'm happy with the power on and off road. With the 3.6 engine, I'd only consider 4:56 or 4:88 gears for 37's. If yours is coming with 4:10 gears, you should be fine, but it's always a personal preference.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
It will be coming with 4.10's

35's are the tallest I would go. Although the jeep with 37's is really awesome looking I think it is a little tall for what I want.

Thank you for the replies.

Septu

Explorer
Would likely depend on where you live, and whether it's hilly or flat. Have read countless posts about how it's a perfect ratio. I'm running tall heavy 33s and find I'm great unless I'm towing my little trailer in the mountains. I'll make the jump to 35s once these wear out, and due to the trailer and the mountains will likely have to regear - but will try it for a while before going that route.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I initially liked the 4.10s and 35 (2012 six speed) but it suffered at high altitude, hot days etc. But mine is tall and heavier. Now I run 4.88s but you will most likely be satisfied with 4.10s. It won't be bad enough to want to re-gear right away

Redneck92

Observer
If you ever plan on going to 37s then yes I would re-gear. 4.56 would be the only real option, would really be a little over geared compared to factory but if you've added a lot of weight the gears will help.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
If you ever plan on going to 37s then yes I would re-gear. 4.56 would be the only real option, would really be a little over geared compared to factory but if you've added a lot of weight the gears will help.
Don't they make 4:88's for those axels?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
4.56 and 35s is nearly identical (numerically) to 32s and 4.10s. Basically it puts the rpm right back to stock, not accounting for additional weight, height, rolling mass, parasitic drag etc.
4.88s and 35s are a little low, but you're only talking around 200rpm difference at freeway speeds.

88Xj

Banned
You always go a little over if your gonna gear. Reason is because the extra height, weight, rolling & wind resistances.
However look up 35s and compare your top 3.. Compare actual height and weight. Heavy 33s are almost if not equal to light 35s. Reason why Ill never run a 33x12:5. If its 33 its 10.5 or 35x12.5.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
You always go a little over if your gonna gear. Reason is because the extra height, weight, rolling & wind resistances.
However look up 35s and compare your top 3.. Compare actual height and weight. Heavy 33s are almost if not equal to light 35s. Reason why Ill never run a 33x12:5. If its 33 its 10.5 or 35x12.5.

Yeah I'd rather run a 285 or something than a 33x12.50 again.

phxtoad

Adventurer
Recently had the wife's YJ re-geared. Went from 3.07's to 4.10's (on 32's). It's a whole new vehicle. So worth the cost. Do it.

Septu

Explorer
Recently had the wife's YJ re-geared. Went from 3.07's to 4.10's (on 32's). It's a whole new vehicle. So worth the cost. Do it.

Depending on what he's running, and where he lives, he may not need to. Many ppl have said that the 3.6l, auto, 4.10 and 35s is fine. Most also say that the 3.6, auto, 4.10 and stock 32s is geared too low.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I live in NY

Would like to stay with thinner tires if possible in either a 33 or 35, leaning towards the 33s

What is meant by heavy 35? Wider tire?

Thanks for all the insight.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior