Toyota 4x4 motorhome, living full-time in Alaska: winter advice...

alaskacreeker

Hey ya'll!

I recently updated my page that talks about living full-time in Alaska in my little Toy 4x4 motorhome. I figured it might help someone out that is looking at doing something similar with their living setup. You can find the link to the website below my signature below...

living-in-a-van-2.jpg

Timmy
www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
That is Great. I liked the vid of the kimberly stove install. I was thinking of something like that for a utility trailer set-up.
Cam-shaft.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Great blog. I love what you've done inside and that Kimberly wood stove is a great find. I have a few ideas for it already.

I have to ask though, if you wouldn't mind speaking more correctly regarding people "using the bathroom"....at non-campground overnight spots. The wording and obvious issue is that there is no "bathroom", therefor they are not "using the bathroom"! They are crapping on the ground. Pooping. Whatever you want to call it, but call it what it is. Americans may know "what you mean", but someone not familiar with our common incorrect uses of words may not know what the heck you're talking about. I'm glad you brought it up though as too many people don't seem to grasp the big picture when it comes to stealth and similar camping.

It's like people with a diesel engine saying they get great "gas" mileage, which is essentially impossible if you don't have a "gas" engine. ;)

The tips on winter RV living are also very useful.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great fun. I've been racing sailboats for a long time and following friends cruising around the world by sail so your living in a RV challenges are all pretty standard cruising by sail stuff except your RV isn't an island in a ocean of water ;-). It is very sad what you have observed regarding people leaving behind trash and waste related trash etc. I suspect that its also a cultural thing and as you pointed out tourists vs actual campers etc I bet there are tour operators who make stops with loads of day tripper tourists with no facilities on their vehicle especially given the volume of debri you saw. The whole living out of a van / RV and trend for towns and states to start cracking down on over night parking is not new and does seem to be getting worse. I lived in San Francisco for 11yrs near the Golden Gate Park and there was a large difference between the folks living out of RV's and clearly working in the City and those who were setting up residence via RV along the park with the ever expanding piles of junk in, on and around their vehicles increasing number of dogs per RV which ran loose in the park creating confrontation issues with residents in the area and even increases in petty crimes vehicle breakins etc. I know one of the respected chef's in SF lived along the park for many years in a clean well cared for RV that sort of thing is fine he was great guy well respected who never over stayed his parking spot or collected junk or impacted those living in the area in a negative way. Then we have the gypsies who are actually setting up camp that just create a mess and bring their problems to the area etc.

I love road trips and boondocking at out of the way spots with the occasional quick overnight crash spot etc and agree with you that its sad that this is being taken away due to those who take advantage of it and abuse it.

Best of luck in your adventures!!! Oh and I had a 91 4runner with that 3L V6 toyota actually tore it down to the block not once but twice and sent the block out to get the head surface remachined ultimately I learned that it was more or less a bad design where the block and head mating surface was just not robust enough and will always be a weak point in the engine. That was Toyota's first V6 by the way prior to that all they had were inline 6's. The savings grace was the 3.4L V6 which is a great engine and very respected known for doing 300,000 miles without so much as a huccup. If your able to get the swap done you will be very happy and have far more confidence that you'll get where you want to go without the dreaded steam cloud coming out of the exhaust pipe. Both times I was parked some place and just shut the truck down when the HG let go resulting in a cloud of steam pooring out of the exhaust pipe- and me jumping back in the truck and cranking non stop till it fired up again knowing if the cylinders filled with coolant I was walking it or waiting on a tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles