ARB or CVT roof top tent?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Torn between the Mount Shasta tent from CVT and the ARB series 3 simpsons tent. Mounting it facing back on a 2004 Liberty.

Any thoughts? Other then price?

JFarris

Wanderer
I've had both. CVT by a long shot. Price, comfort & quality they have them beat. And to top it off there's a 30% off group buy with CVT right now that I just noticed. That should pretty much make it a no brainer and seal deal.

Last edited:

Victorian

Interesting! Thx. I'm in Canada, not sure how to jump into a group buying deal... As far as I know, they only sell through their retailers in Canada.

Septu

Explorer
Victorian where abouts? I PM'd them about a quote to get one sent up to me (should hear in the next day or so). However Edmonton isn't 'that' far - I mean only 1200 miles (1800km)... so if need be I could always take a road trip - although would likely be cheaper to pay the freight.

They also have a dealer listed on their website in Calgary and in Victoria.

But with this GB going on, I'm not sure how one can say no to one of these. I wanted an Autohome or a James Baroud... but at 30% off, I'll try the CVT first.

nickmimi

Adventurer
I can only speak of the CVT RTT. I have never had an ARB. The CVT RTT has been great. No problems at all. The one problem I had (with an awning) Bobby took care of without hassle. As said above, the price and quality make them a great choice.

Would buy from them again without hesitation. Especially with the group buy.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Victorian where abouts? I PM'd them about a quote to get one sent up to me (should hear in the next day or so). However Edmonton isn't 'that' far - I mean only 1200 miles (1800km)... so if need be I could always take a road trip - although would likely be cheaper to pay the freight.

They also have a dealer listed on their website in Calgary and in Victoria.

But with this GB going on, I'm not sure how one can say no to one of these. I wanted an Autohome or a James Baroud... but at 30% off, I'll try the CVT first.

Gearshop.ca out of Calgary carries the CVT tents and offers free shipping in Canada. I just picked up a mt rainier from the Victoria dealer last weekend. With his current pricing structure and the difference in the dollar, plus shipping, it worked out to about the same money or slightly cheaper than 30% GB.

The local dealer did say that his price on the tents would be rising due to the CDN dollar doing a swan dive.

Septu

Explorer
Gearshop.ca out of Calgary carries the CVT tents and offers free shipping in Canada. I just picked up a mt rainier from the Victoria dealer last weekend. With his current pricing structure and the difference in the dollar, plus shipping, it worked out to about the same money or slightly cheaper than 30% GB.

The local dealer did say that his price on the tents would be rising due to the CDN dollar doing a swan dive.

Interesting. I'll have to see if that truly applies to everywhere in Canada. Frequently the Yukon (and I assume the other territories) get exempted from most free shipping deals.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I have the ARB and it is great but if the CVT had been around and at the current price I probably would have gone with it. I have seen it at Overland Expo for the last several years and they are great. ARB charges for the annex, it has no floor. If I am not mistaken the CVT comes with annex included and a zip out floor. That is several hundred $$ savings.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
My vote is for the ARB Simpson III. Mainly because it's posted in my thread in the for sale section, but still..it's been an awesome tent!

Victorian

Thank you everyone for the helpful inputs. I ended up buying a used ARB tent. The savings compare to buying new was huge and the tent is virtually brand new as it was only used a couple of times.

Victorian

After weeks on weeks of rain and cold temperatures I was finally able to head out and set up the ARB tent on our Jeep Liberty. Even though everyone told me not to trust those plastic factory roofrails I had no other solution available and headed out anyway :smiley_drive: Max speed was 80km/h .

Anyhow, the tent is the killer! Totally love this set up. We installed it so it opens towards the back. Idea is to be able to have the rear gate open and being sheltered from the elements with the anex around and tent above. The parts of the anex that goes against the truck zipps in just fine, but because of the spare tire it has to stay open. The tent itself is fairly big inside. The mattress certainly needs some improvements... pretty firm that sucker. There was also some condensation inside the tent and under the mattress, had maybe something to do with the fact that I camped in the rainforest and that the outside temperature was around the freezing point. Not a big deal. Packing it up was a bit of a workout... especially with cold hands. The travelcover is very stiff and difficult to put on when cold. At the end I won that fight :)

IMG_2717.jpgIMG_2715.jpgIMG_2709.jpgIMG_2716.jpgIMG_2710.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles