Silly Question? How to mount Trasharoo to the spare tire?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a 33x10.5.15 mounted to the rear spare tire carrier on the door. The sidewall is right up close to the body of the door. Anyone else have difficulty mounting a Trasharoo to the spare? There just isn't enough room back there to slip the buckles in, let alone my hand to make the snap click connection, or worse, trying to remove it if I need my spare!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Did you try loosening the bolts on the spare, install the trash thingy, then tighten the bolts? Or you could simply run spacers between the spare mount and the hatch using longer bolts, pretty easy to do.

nckwltn

Explorer
used my trasharoo for the first time today taking dogs to the beach (loaded it up with dog-drying towels). It was awesome to have al that extra space. I have the same tire size on the spare.

it isn't easy to install... I tried crossing the buckles through the spare tire holder, but that didn't work well.... so I just put the straps to the outsides of the holder.

I find the bottom more difficult to get my hands in, so I pre-set the length on the bottom, and make the top nice and loose... snap things together, and tighten on the top.

I am having some problems with my buckles, and sent an email in to the trasharoo guys.... I ended up taking a ratcheting strap and putting it around the circumference of the spare tire tread to make sure everything was going to hold. I've got an email in to the trasharoo guys to see what they recommend... I'll probably post up more about it after I speak with them.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Did you try loosening the bolts on the spare, install the trash thingy, then tighten the bolts? Or you could simply run spacers between the spare mount and the hatch using longer bolts, pretty easy to do.

Yes, I did think about both those ideas. It's seems a shame to spend $100 on a spacer to mount a $50 bag.... Also, simply loosening bolts is great....until you put the bag on and need to tighten them, or heaven forbid....need to take the spare off and use it. It's pretty hard to access the bolts if the bag is properly snugged.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
it isn't easy to install... I tried crossing the buckles through the spare tire holder, but that didn't work well.... so I just put the straps to the outsides of the holder.
I find the bottom more difficult to get my hands in, so I pre-set the length on the bottom, and make the top nice and loose... snap things together, and tighten on the top.
Not crossing the straps is a plausible idea. Be worried about it falling off though. Maybe I can zip tie the straps together above the bracket to prevent them from falling off....

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
We hung one on a 35x12.5 for the Sierra Challenge with no issues, do they have different sized bags?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nathan, we recommend this for tight situations such as OEM FJ Cruisers or JK's. (and apparently Mitsu's)

Lengthen the top straps out as much as you can. Drop them back behind the spare in cross pattern. Then buckle from the bottom and tighten the lower buckles. It's how we usually do the installs for customers and works just fine. Sounds like your spare setup on the door is rubber to paint and if you have a recessed section for the spare, then you'll in fact have to loosen the spare. No way around that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier