"Skinny" tires on a Full-Size?

MAD Duo

Observer
RustBucket: They are 255/75/16 BFG KM2's. So far rolling great. Abit loud, but not my daily driver. Plus I love the drone of the 7.3 and the MT rolling.

Off-Road Rider

6578430001_large.jpg

I can't claim to be a Ford fan, but this truck looks awesome. The old(ness), the clean paint, the crew cab, the height and tire combo all come together to make a gorgeous classic American truck.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Been trying to follow this topic on my phone but it's rather hard... I'm just curious, I was looking at 33"-ish tires after I do a 2.5" lift for my truck... But I have 15" rims, and would like narrow tires. Am I gonna have to swap over to some new wheels along with tires to get what I'm looking for?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
How much weight will you be pack'n? BFG makes a 33x10.5-15 that works great on a light truck. I ran a couple sets of their 33x9.50-15 tires and loved them. Those tall sidewalls soak up the terrain. Those have since been discontinued.

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
How much weight will you be pack'n? BFG makes a 33x10.5-15 that works great on a light truck. I ran a couple sets of their 33x9.50-15 tires and loved them. Those tall sidewalls soak up the terrain. Those have since been discontinued.

Not a fully loaded truck, that's for sure. But a shell, front and rear bumpers, full size spare, and a rack over the shell. It's a single cab longbed pickup as is with a 454. Probably another couple hundred pounds in the bed. No 50 gallon water tanks or full size campers on it.

EDIT: I was looking at these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R5GRABRL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I had 17" pizza cutters on my '76 F250. Never had any problem getting unstuck while other trucks were just flailing mud all over place, standing still. The narrow tire allows the truck to dig down to a firmer substrate and get traction. Pulled many a mudding vehicle out with that 460 in granny gear.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I can't claim to be a Ford fan, but this truck looks awesome. The old(ness), the clean paint, the crew cab, the height and tire combo all come together to make a gorgeous classic American truck.

I'm a Ford fan, I miss these old trucks. I had a '76 F250. Great simple beast of a wagon. Was heavy on fuel but you could climb a tree if you got traction.

Erik N

Adventurer
I put 238x85x16 Toyo ATs on my old burb last year. Resisted the urge for fat tires. Was using the truck for work only and driving a lot over the pass in the winter. This is the factory original size tire that the burb came with. Love them. They don't look as cool, but they do what they do excellent. Great in the rain, snow and ice. I started pulling my trailer with my 04 Tahoe now, so I'm thinking of swapping them over to that rig so I can "play" with the burb more...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=212384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1392906579

That is one ugly Burb!
Mine on 255's:

Attachments

• IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 86

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
235-85R16's work great on my rig.

The BFG Commercial traction T/As handle 10k no problem, even SRW.
Great road manners loaded, great mileage, and decent tread life.

I see 17mpg on occasion with this combo. Average is more like 15mpg.
Keeping it under warp speed on the highway helps :coffee:

chassis258.jpg

plumber mike

Adventurer
Bfg commercial traction studded in a 235/85-16 on my sub for the ultimate winter setup......for me. Reduced chain up frequency by........a lot.

Oh how I wish they came in 17"

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Toss some more weight on the rear end and you wont even need the studs.

I RARELY need 4x4 even in north Idaho winters when Ive got the camper on the truck. BFG commercial traction T/As + gobs of weight = incredible snow traction.

I run the BFGs year round. No need for two set of tires. :ylsmoke:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
KIMG0626.jpg

I run these 10plys on my Burb. Can't recall the brand name but they are stock size with an aggressive tread pattern. They should work very well in mud and snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke