Round LED Replacement Light Suggestions

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
How come it would not be a True fog light. Is'nt it about the beam shape?
A good foglight is only useful for very slow speeds; it just provides foreground illumination. The color (temp) should be white or selective yellow.
PIAA uses tinted/coated bulb and other optical gimmicks that filters out the yellows and reds to make them appear whiter. Then they use an over-amped filament to compensate for the filter.
They might be good trail-use lights in decent weather but probably are glare producers as foglights.

You really really don't want a cheap HID conversion in foglights (or any light...) unless you ONLY plan to use them offroad.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Even the LED piaa fog light? Again, I use my HID at night on the highway triggered by my high beam circuit. They are needed to spot MOOSE so I don't get killed from hitting one. it's required night time driving equipement here. No one keeps any aux lighting on here in the night. just headlights when traffic. I would go ballistic on someone who blinded me with any type of aux. lighting on the road. fog and normal headlights don't count of course. unless is crappy 6000k up HID retros. anything over 4300k is piercing to the eye and useless at putting light out

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I just don't trust PIAA to make anything good....

Heard back from my friend; he wants a volunteer JK for measuring to build his new drop-LED lights.

kojackJKU

get to it bud. if his fog lights work good I will get a set for sure. Im with ya on piaa, just heard their jk replacements were reasonable. Im not sold on anything with the rigid name on it. that's for sure. Let me know how the speaker fogs work. I don't think TL has anything available do they?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
get to it bud. if his fog lights work good I will get a set for sure. Im with ya on piaa, just heard their jk replacements were reasonable. Im not sold on anything with the rigid name on it. that's for sure. Let me know how the speaker fogs work. I don't think TL has anything available do they?
I need a volunteer with a JK in the Knoxville area for him ---- still waiting for details.

In the meantime, the Speaker 6145s arrived. I went out and plugged the raw wires into the socket to see if they flicker (can't get an O-scope until next week).
They don't flicker.
Cool.

These are really cool little lights. In a real foglight pattern.

IMG_0883_zps21639796.jpg

kojackJKU

I am going to get the local store to bring in a set of piaas for me to see. they are a real fog beam too. Im not a fan of the JW look. So if the piaa work as advertised im cool with it. good thing is the piaa comes with a full bolt in kit for the JK too. They also have a driving beam but the fog pattern is what I want.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
.... Im not a fan of the JW look...
Beauty is function; function is beauty.
I'm a nerd. They match me. The headlights remind me of the HAL-9000 computer ---- "I'm sorry, Dave; I can't do that..."

Peak Scientific dropped off a stack the other day for loan/display and we set it up in the GC lab. I noted to the CE that they went a little blingy on the display and she replied, "no; it's completely functional... ...I suppose it might be a little for show...." and she blushed a bit.
But, again, I really like the Peak products too.

Peak-Scientific---Precision-Series.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well, the JWS 6145s are awesome.
I used them this morning in foul weather on twisty/hilly/narrow roads and I'm just floored.
They are the PERFECT compliment to JWS 8700 LED headlights. Perfect for slow driving in bad weather. Perfect for seeing the lines, the holes, the varmints, whatever.
I'm impressed.

morespeakerpics004_zps81f83535.jpg

kojackJKU

you are lucky to be able to get dirty. At the moment, our backcountry is under about 8 ft of snow. yuck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne