Best Tire for Overlanding

Now I know this is a very inflammatory statement but it must be asked. What would we consider the best overlanding vehicle tire. For the sake of this forum post we will keep it to 4wd vehicles and not motorcycles. Not to be entirely rigid, but I think the talking points should try to remain consistent from tire to tire. I think some grading criteria should include the following:

Road Noise
Effected MPG
Load Rating
Off-Road Capability
On-Road Performance
Longevity
Durability
Best conditions suited
Price
Past Experiences (good or bad)
Closest Competitor

I know this is going to be somewhat subjective, but that's ok because I want to know what you feel about them based on past experiences.

The ones that have tread and hold air.

Searching for some of those items above will net pages and pages and pages of information. I would suggest you work on your google-**** and read, read and then read again.

IMO the Super Swamper TSL Bias-ply in a 42/16.5-16.5 would be the absolute best tire for your Subaru.

What is wrong with pages and pages? Google will show everything from people who soley use for off road, or people who never go off road....etc. I'm looking to tap into the knowledge of the overlanding community.

But you let me know how you like those super swampers on your Subaru I bet they handle great for ya.

98dango

Expedition Leader
What too tall is saying it's been talked about.

I prefer a wider tier for my terrain my roommate with the same truck goes the same place likes pizza cutters. If I could I would run super swampers on everything. It all depends on where you go most say a 10" wide at is best.

To be less of a intelligent donkey and a little bit more helpful.....what vehicle are you trying to put tires on. That is the absolute best way to find out which tire is the "best". My mom wants the best tire, but the Tercel is best with a Toyo 800 or Spectrum because it is only highway, if she knew what she was doing and picked a snow traction tire, then I would guess she was going over a pass or maybe even spacing up the coils and doing some rally driving. If she was talking about her 4 runner than Michelin LTX M&S in a 4 ply would be great for solo travel, if she loaded 3 other people and two double kayaks to the vehicle I would go at least with a 6 ply LTX.....it all varies and each situation is different.

its like trying to solve for "X" when all that is given is a dozen other variables....give us a constant and we are all happy to sit around the campfire and discuss the merits of our ideal situation if we laced up your shoes.

Gren_T

Adventurer
I've used lots of different tyres, from BFG AT's & MT's to Michelin XCL's. brand, pattern, initial cost I've found to be immaterial as eventually they will be swapped and often end up mis-matched, what work great on one terrain is average on another and travel far enough you will average out the differences in any tyre.

To date the best average I've found is a remould with BFG AT pattern, the most important thing above all else is size.
drift too far from vehicle or manufacture standard fit and you risk not being able to obtain a spare in some of the more remote areas.

Regards all
Gren

Radio

Observer
BFG AT's get my vote for best all round tire... But there are better and worse tires out there, depending on specific vehicle and "mission" requirements.

tarditi

Explorer
What you may be better off asking is "best recommended all around"

I have had BFG ATs on many of my 4x4s and they are all-around great. Except for mud. They absolutely suck in mud.
I've had Goodyear MTRs and hated them as much as the day is long, but others love them.
I've had BFG MTs and thought they were great tires in anything that wasn't a wet road.

It's a compromise - your list, when it comes to tires without a specific platform (different 4WD systems and traction aids benefit from different tires, too) actual has a few cases of mutual exclusivity. Dry traction and tread life, for instance, are usually at each other's expense (unless there is a dynamic compound where the outer layer is soft and sticky, then wears down to an iron-hard core to get the wear-out mileage up at the expense of your dental work!)

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Kind of depends on what your local terrain/climate is like.

For me, either ProComp or BFG A/T.

We don't get much mud, and I hate mud anyway. The opposite side of the coin...the A/T will be better on ice than a mud tire. Seen and experienced this several times.

I also run a wide tire for more air volume (33x12.5).

Nitinat

Adventurer
Discoverer A/T3 by Cooper.

Has surprised me in every road condition (pavement, snow, rocks, wet rocks, gravel etc.) as how well it performs and that it has almost no road noise. It's not a mud tire and wouldn't perform that well in mud (maybe I am wrong)...

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I had an 88 4Runner about 5 years ago I ran 31" Cooper Discovery or dicoverers A/T's couldn't tell you anything more than that. I loved them lasted forever and great in mud. Look forward to getting another set for my Montero Sport when it is time for new shoes.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Really a tough call. Each person/vehicle will have different requirements depending on geo and weight.

For VanDOOM, it needs to be a 3 ply sidewall load range E. I want the toughest tire I can get so I can reduce my worry about punctures. With a 10k lb van, it is needed IMHO.

But someone overlanding in a Wrangler won't need that kind of tire. Or maybe they do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94