Best Tire for Overlanding

p nut

butter
BFG KO. It's an AT tire, so no surprise it sucks in mud. KM2's were ok, too, but not required for what I do.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Cooper S/T Maxx... durable and tough with a 3 ply side wall... on the aggressive side of the AT scale and is a bit heavy.
With the usual compromises, a great overlanding tire...
I used to run the Goodyear Duratrac until they started only making them with a 2 ply side wall.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
BFG AT's have been abused to death and are reliable. For all around tread I would stay with a AT tread and for mileage keep the tire as narrow as reasonable.
FWIW I went from 33x9.50x15 BFG AT's to 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's and lost almost 10% in MPG and they don't last as long.

Darrell

bfdiesel

Explorer
On a related note, what is the best color for overlanding? I like white in the summer and hot places, and a darker color in the really cold places.

Well as for the climate I travel all over the country and hopefully soon countries. I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier King Cab that has a lot of extra weight. I'm looking at a heavier load rating. I have a RTT, camper shell, soon to be drawer system with fridge integration, and soon to be armor. I've had the KM2 and AT from BF goodridge on my Jeep. The AT's suck in mud, and since I have no idea what the road will have in store for me I'm trying to stay away from those. I've liked the KM2's but as said in a previous post they don't like wet roads. Currently I'm leaning to the KM2's but I'm looking at Cooper more due to your previous postings.

UncleBilly

Observer
Has nobody ever used Hercules Tires? They got a great write-up in 4WD Toyota Owner mag. Great value price, well made, with a good warranty. One I get my 100 Series LC I'm buying these...

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I have been taking a long hard look at the Hercules Terra Trac R/S. Commercial traction tire. I got a good look at them at the local distributor in the 265/75-16 size. That size has a 3 ply sidewall along with the 235/85. They are very stiff for heavier rigs like mine.

I was pretty much ready to order them, but I think I want to go with the 285. I have done some test fits and they fit pretty well. I did check out the Terra Trac ATII and they are a much softer carcass in comparison.

The 100 can get pretty heavy so the RS would make a good choice.

Willman

Another vote for the Cooper MAXX

DSC_0151.jpg

Great all around tire!

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Discoverer A/T3 by Cooper.

Has surprised me in every road condition (pavement, snow, rocks, wet rocks, gravel etc.) as how well it performs and that it has almost no road noise. It's not a mud tire and wouldn't perform that well in mud (maybe I am wrong)...

+1 on the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. I have had mine for a little over a year and love them. I have especially been impressed with their wet pavement handling. I have no mud experience, but they have been excellent on the sandy beaches of south Texas and the rock/gravel of Big Bend.

Best of all, their price is very reasonable, cheaper than BFG.

It's gotta saw something about a tire if overland journal chose them to put on their land cruiser build.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/toy...icle-feature-building-the-prado-part-two.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94