Which Caliber for a primary Hunting Rifle?

Bridger

Observer
I've hunted elk for 44 years and have taken a few with as small as .243's up to a 45/70 but my preference is, and will always be the 30/06. For me, its probably more about tradition than anything else - I started with a 30.06 and my Ruger #1 is still my favorite. Buy what you feel good about...shoot it a lot and keep your shots under 250 yards. Each should do a fine job for you.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
id do either or. a full size action in that recoil isnt a detriment.

just to be a contrary bear for bear, i went with a 9.3x62. (think 370/06) i wanted the big hole, without the high speed magnum desecration.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Only 6.5lb

700MtnSS_84274_Right.ashx

Now for some glass!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Only 6.5lb

700MtnSS_84274_Right.ashx

Now for some glass!

Nice! I have the same only in 30.06 with a Pentax Lightseeker 3-9x and it is my go to deer rifle for sure. So light and easy to handle. Comes to the shoulder so quick. Took a 7 point this year at 150 from the standing and he was at a full run. Good selection on your part. Congrats!
Buck Oct 2013.2.jpg

PaintRock

Adventurer
I'd definitely say you made the right choice. I think the '06 is a more versatile hunting round. But I would not buy an '06 if I were already set up with another .308 rifle and ammo like you are.

Bridger

Observer
Your question is two parts: Which rifle and which caliber (.308 vs. 30/06)

Caliber first: I have taken a number of elk since I was sixteen and I have used the .243 Win., .257 Roberts, 25/06 Rem., 280 Rem., 7mm Rem. Magnum, 30/06 Spgfld., .308 Win., .338 Win. Magnum and 45/70.

Two things they all have in common is they are still dead...and they were all shot at less than 200 yards.

In-my-opinion the best performing calibers were the 30/06, .338 and 45/70...and what they all had in common is I used bullets weighing 180, 220 and 365 grains, respectively. Over time I have became a proponent of heavy bullets at moderate velocities.

Since you are asking our opinion on a choice for a primary hunting rifle, in my case it would be a synthetic stocked Kimber, Winchester Model 70 or Remington Mountain Rifle with a 2.5x-8x variable Leupold....in 30/06!!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Brian, hard to make a better choice than a light(er) weight 30-'06 with modest variable scope - Leupold, of course. I would prefer a model 70 or Mauser, but the Remington 700 is an excellent rifle. I owned one in 30-'06 for years. A good elk rifle.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I own a modified Brazilian mauser in 30.06. It is heavy as hell, with a nice cheap tasco scope, but its super accurate and has taken down many moose in the 20 years that it has been in the family. 30/06 is a great round for most everything. I have been lusting for a new lightweight, stainless barrel rifle and have been looking at other rounds but I keep going back to the 30.06 for many of the reasons mentioned here, variety of the loads, ease of accessability of the rounds etc. I know people here hunt moose with a 30/30....not big enough to kill a dog, let alone a moose. there are so many injured animals every here from people hunting with these pea shooters.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I own a modified Brazilian mauser in 30.06. It is heavy as hell, with a nice cheap tasco scope, but its super accurate and has taken down many moose in the 20 years that it has been in the family. 30/06 is a great round for most everything. I have been lusting for a new lightweight, stainless barrel rifle and have been looking at other rounds but I keep going back to the 30.06 for many of the reasons mentioned here, variety of the loads, ease of accessability of the rounds etc. I know people here hunt moose with a 30/30....not big enough to kill a dog, let alone a moose. there are so many injured animals every here from people hunting with these pea shooters.

im not sure what breed of dog you own, but ive used a 30 30 for 30 years.

im willing to make a big money bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne