Which Caliber for a primary Hunting Rifle?

harv3589

Adventurer
Out of the two, I would take the 30-06. I've hunted that cartridge for years and worked well. But I have now found a new love, 25-06 and took my bull moose at 280 yards this fall with it. Going to use it for elk if I can find a cow...it just kills big game well. In fact I'm down to that rifle as my do all, from coyotes all the way up.

I know my limits though with it and I set my line at 300 yards for my moose...if it was over that I would have closed the distance. To me it's about hunting not shooting so I don't mind working to get closer.

Mine is a Sako 85 Finnlight.

image110.jpeg

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Out of the two, I would take the 30-06. I've hunted that cartridge for years and worked well. But I have now found a new love, 25-06 and took my bull moose at 280 yards this fall with it. Going to use it for elk if I can find a cow...it just kills big game well. In fact I'm down to that rifle as my do all, from coyotes all the way up.

I know my limits though with it and I set my line at 300 yards for my moose...if it was over that I would have closed the distance. To me it's about hunting not shooting so I don't mind working to get closer.

Mine is a Sako 85 Finnlight.

image110.jpeg

Nice animal! I am sticking with the 30-06. I have a Brazilian mauser built into a sporting gun, and I am buying a new rifle over this summer. I am sticking with the same caliber so I can use the same loads in both guns.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Here in the Yukon a 30/06 with 180 grain is the legal minimum to hunt Bison. (308, 303 are NOT legal as they don't have the muzzle velocity)

So up here, if you want to be a "one rifle hunter" 30/06 is the end of the conversation.

My Remington 700 XCR did a great job on some big moose, and bison too.

-Dan

SunFlower

Adventurer
I have a 30-06. Killed 4 whitetails and 1 elk. All shot with one round, 165gr. Only one deer took off after being shot. He made it about 30 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94