Which Caliber for a primary Hunting Rifle?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Ok,

- If you were to have one bolt action hunting rifle
- lightweight at 6.5lb. (Remington 700 Mountain SS)
- With the intention of using it for Elk
- Since it is your only rifle you would want it to be versatile

Would you want it in .308 or 30-06? And Why?

Go!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Shoot this is like Cruiser vs. Rover...I don't know if I have ever read anything that would convince me one is better than the other...
I have a model 70 featherweight 30.06...which is my elk gun and a M1a .308... which I target shoot with
Both are fine rounds with lots of load options but if I had to choose it would be 30.06 for a hunting rifle...IMO a more classic hunting round...stupid I know

Ronman737

I would definitely use the 30-06 for elk. The nice thing about 30-06 is its grain range. You can go from 150grain to a really heavy 180 gr. I have heard it called the ultimate North American round because it's literally good for all big game on this continent.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

ssc45

Observer
For me, it is the 30-06. I have a rem 700 in this caliber and have taken game all over the world. It does a great job on varmints up to Eland. I feel it has the edge over the 308 in versatility. Case capacity allows me to get a bit more powder and more velocity. The edge comes into play because it can be loaded with a heavy bullet--up to 220 grains. In certain African countries, I have not had a problem finding 30-06, however 308 was hard to find. I have also rechambered a few rem 700's into other long action calibers, including 375HH. None the less, the 308 is a great round, however I prefer the 30-06. Lastly, bullet placement with a properly constructed bullet for the game animal you are hunting that will penetrate to the vitals is my number one concern no matter what rifle I hunt with.

Cheers, Steve

NMC_EXP

Explorer
"The .30/06 is never a mistake." ~ Col. Townsend Whelen

For the .30/06 there is published full load data for 110 to 220 grain bullets. It has the option of short range, light loads for taking small game for the pot.

It is versatile.

In practical terms there is not much difference between the .30/06 and the .308. However, if you look at the Sierra reloading manual, the .30/06 can be loaded to higher velocity than the .308 and stay within pressure limits.

Does an additional 100 FPS in velocity mean much? Not really, unless you shoot past 800 yards where safe .308 loads are more likely to go subsonic than the .30/06.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys,
I am still torn between the two but I am leaning towards the .308

- I also have a "tactical" precision style rifle in .308 so if my "hunting" rifle is in .308 I will only have to deal with one caliber of ammunition when sourcing or reloading.
- The .308 recoils less, being new to hunting I want to concentrate on my accuracy/shot placement.
- Having both rifles in .308 will allow me to really gain an understanding of the one caliber.
- .308 is a bit less expensive than '06 so the pricing will allow me to practice more.

On top of it all I also have the ability to borrow a 30-06 if I think I would really need it for a particular hunt.

Funny though, I'm still not sure which to get!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Thanks guys,

- The .308 recoils less, being new to hunting I want to concentrate on my accuracy/shot placement.

With the same bullet weight, loaded to the same velocity the difference in felt recoil should be undetectable.

The only difference would be due to the additional recoil resulting from a slightly higher powder charge weight in the .30/06. For example with a 165 gr bullet and IMR-4895 powder loaded to 2,600 FPS the .30/06 requires 44.7 GR and the .308 requires 40.7 GR of powder.

ruger1

Observer
Most of the elk hunters I know shoot either .300 Win Mag or .338 Win mag, and some shoot 7mm Rem Mag all because of the potential for the shots over 300 yards and the power to put one down at that range. Personally I don't know a single person who uses a .308. I haven't hunted elk yet but have gotten a couple of mule deer, couple of hogs lots of whitetail and shot several bison all with my Ruger M77MKII in 7mm Rem mag with fantastic results. There are many opinions out there and only yours matters. I would look at articles from writers like Craig Boddington or Bryce Towsley to name a few that hunt all the time with different rifles and cartridges and let the "professionals" guide you.
Good luck and good hunting,
Dan

Last edited:

85CUCV

Adventurer
Performance wise they are pretty much a matched....until you want to run a bullet over 180gr. 30-06 will have a little more flexibility to run 220 grain bullets and the 308 will not. Regardless of what you pick I'd chose the heaviest premium bullet it shot well and keep the ranges modest. I've seen elk hit with 300 Win 165gr bullet walk away like nothing hit them and crumple over. I know there are guys on here that have harvested a lot more elk then I, but from what I've seen elk have an amazing capacity to "seal up and walk off" and drop a couple hundred later. I normally carry a .308 with 165grain or heavier premium bullets. If I was living in elk country I'd like have a .338 Federal or .338-06.

Dan

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Really don't worry about difference in recoil. I don't see it being much of a difference. I shoot both from very light bolt actions and also the 308 from an M1a scout. You will not even notice the recoil when in the moment of a hunt. I like your idea of matching calibers with your tactical rifle. I prefer the 30.06 for hunting, and wish I could tell you why... I think it is just the rifle.. it is a short, durable Rem 700 that just fits me. Find a round design and bullet weight you like and then shot placement, as has been mentioned. Experience shooting from likely hunting positions and still get the shot placement and you are good to go.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I have been hunting Elk (rifle) for 7 years, I use 30-06, at least eight other people I have or do hunt with regularly use 30-06. The number one reason I went that way was now we all have the same caliber and can swap ammo if need be. I have carried a lot of meat that was taken down by 30-06. I have no experience with .308, I use a .270 as my back up, which I took a cow with 2 seasons ago. I want the lightest gun, I don't care about a moment of recoil, especially when firing at an animal. As mentioned earlier, you won't feel it, but I hate lugging a heavy gun around the mountain. I borrowed an old rifle my first year and it was heavy and I felt it.

matt marquardt

Adventurer
My .02

Years ago I had the same thought. Do I buy what I already reload for , 30-06, or the lighter M70 Featherweight in .308? I went with .308. I'm told the rifle can be lighter just due to the shorter cartridge. Less iron = less weight. The cartridges are the same until you start to reach out further, more powder space in the 30-06. I'm not unhappy with my choice.

There are so many calibers now that will get the job done. Don't over think it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online