'85 VW Vanagon Weekender with 2.5 Subaru swap

WhiteH2O

Observer
SOLD!

Item: 1985 Wolfburg Weekender, auto transmission, and a 2.5 liter Subaru swap

The swap was done by Small Car in Tacoma, WA (as was all the major maintenance not done by myself). I was told I was the third owner, but never looked it up to verify; I bought it from a VW mechanic in Southern Oregon (it was his personal vehicle). The van now shows 176k miles, but will be going up as it is my daily driver. I took the Van to Small Car on Monday 3/3/14 and had them do an inspection on the van to assure everything is in great working order and change the transmission fluid. All they found was a pin-hole in the muffler, and they said it was great in every other way. I asked two separate employees to estimate what it would be worth, they both said mid-high teens to twenty thousand. Someone is going to get a deal on this van.

Upgrades/Modifications:
-The 2.5 liter engine was out of a 2009 Forester with 50k miles on it, I have put on another 20k without any issues.
-Big Audi brakes up front, and disk brakes in back (both Small Car) Amazing stopping power
-New Tent as of 2 years ago. Grey three window.
-New struts rear and new springs front and rear. Increased ground clearance (no jack needed to change oil, just crawl under).
-New house battery (charges from alternator, separated from starter battery. Marine grade, high capacity
-I installed a 900W inverter, and wired up outlets for computers/lights/whatever (double 110VAC outlets middle and rear). (House battery, inverter, and wiring terminal boards located under Jump Seat).
-Interior lights (two of them) run off light switches by slider door
-Larger tires/wheels from Van Cafe (Nokian WRC and steel wheels (Love these tires)).
-New carpet in middle area.
-Re-upholstered middle seat, jump seat, and rear cushion.
-All new curtains (original curtains in fair condition also included).
-Pop-top struts. Multiple options for how much weight is on top.
-High quality, professionally done, 35% (limo) tint all around.
-Removed A/C unit that wasn't working. Now has a shelf in the back where it was (added storage).
-Large custom sunroof -doesn't leak- opaque white to keep direct sun out of sleeping area up top.

Extras:
-Real Chains that let you pretend you are a Syncro. Go on in 3 minutes per side.
-Rain fly, used three times, works great and goes up quickly
-Window reflectors for the front three windows to keep heat out, keep people from seeing in.
-Bently Manual
-Extras in back (oil, tape, fuel filter, coolant, etc.)
-New rear heater

The Bad:
-Paint isn't perfect. Looks good from 5 feet but up close you can tell it isn't a show car.
-The dash is cracked and isn't pretty
-Not 100% rust free. Seams get a little rust color coming through the paint.

Optional Equipment that could be worked into a deal:
-Yakima Racks. I had three bars (see where the mounts are). Towers and bars with locks (longest bars Yakima makes, you could cut them down if desired).
-Rear ladder / double bike holder / Hi-Lift mount / Nato can holder. Custom made from http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/vw.htm
-Two bike racks to mount to the ladder listed above (brand new Yakima)

This is a very mechanically sound Vanagon that is set up to be used. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow. While it isn't a 10/10 aesthetically, it still turns heads and gets complements everywhere it goes. I am in Gig Harbor, Washington (a few minutes from Tacoma). No trades please, but feel free to make an offer. Please call or email with any questions. Feel free to ask for any additional pictures you would like. When I am home, I can run outside and get pictures of whatever you may want.

Price... $Sold

Yes, I know I am new here and this is my first post. I have been lurking for a long time, but just got around to joining. FWIW, I have been on some other forums with the same name since 1999, and even have a build post about the van on it. If you want to see some history on what it looked like when I got it, and how I did some of the modifications, Click Here.

Last edited:

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
Not in the market -- but good luck on the sale. Of you haven't already, pit it up on thesamba.com as the audience is huge there.

(And this really reinforces my decision to install the 2.2 Subie on the shed and to get the rust done on mine)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior