Entering and Exiting the Truck

uncle

Observer
This is probably second nature to most but I'm trying to get a technique here. My truck has a step bar and I can easily use it to get in the truck without dragging my butt across the seat bolster. It's exiting the truck. If I don't think and just step out, I drag the edge of the seat. If I do think about it and try to use the step bar, i have to pick myself up and work my way out.

The Suburban I'm building will not have the step bar nor running boards.

How do you all do this without wearing out your seats?

Brian

The seats are a wear item IMO, but I love to watch the little dudes grab ahold of the steering wheel and heave ho on the column to get in.

A buddy has 37" tires and 14" lift on his Duramax and he has those cool power steps that fold down when the door opens and fold up after it closes...for a lifted rig and a tiny (or wifey) driver they would be well worth the money to me.

In the past I have used a standard hardware handle screwed into my A pillar so that my wife could get in easier, I have also seen the old fuddy duddy strap laying across the seat so that the occupant can wrap the loop around their wrist and pull themselves up.

Most people slide in and out of a stock truck let alone a lifted one, I used to swing my leg up and then push on the floorboard to use my momentum to enter my Dodge, 4.5" Fabtech lift and 35" tires, but I am 34" inseam and 6'8" tall so I am not normal. Even then the seat bolster was very broken down when I bought it with 65k miles on it, and it had running boards (3rd gen Dodge's all do this quickly though).

I would just slide over the seat and replace it when it wears out if you can't afford the retractable runners, but don't use the steering wheel unless your pocket is burning from all that money in it!!

uncle

Observer
No burning pockets here....
I put 98 Yukon power seats in my 88 V-10 Suburban and I didn't want to tear them up prematurely.

Brian

trailscape

Explorer
I rely on the A-pillar grab handle and step bars for entering and exiting my Tundra. Though, mostly because my back and knees have issues. My seats have a fair bit of wear, but I also have 180k on them. I'd really like to lose the step bars, add some sliders and reupholster the seat with new foam one of these days.

It beats walking though!!!

The seatshop.com has replacement leather covers for our seats (I own 1997 Yukon that is starting to wear a hole through) they are costly at around $275 last time I looked, and the foam is available from them also IIRC. Mine have wear but I am about to turn 160k miles...so they had a good run IMO. Like I said everything has a wear life...I may even eventually replace my front brake pads and rotors so the wheel quits shaking!!!!

Honestly I love that vintage of GM leather bucket seats, if I can find another tan leather set I will go to 4 captains seats and put the best in the drivers seat. Or if I can find a set of tan 2010 ( or there abouts) Chevy Equinox seats I will mount them in...those are about the most comfortable factory seat I have ridden in, our inlaws have black with red piping heated leather in their Equinox and I love them!!

uncle

Observer
Mine are actually in good shape. I'm going with the Cabela's seat coverers to save a little wear but that won't help the bolsters any.

Brian

These seats are pretty level bolsters actually.

After some wheel turning, I think I found traction!! What about a 1 3/4" roll bar for your power seat controls? You could get it nice and tight to the leather and then your weight would ride against the steel tube while you slid over it, and if the time came where you needed to grab onto it, it would be there!! Heck, even exhaust tubing would be strong enough to support as much weight as you could exert, you could even stand on it to wash the roof!

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just jump out and do a PLF landing fall.
-
Right foot on door side plastic not carpet, grab handle on the window pillar, pull myself up off the seat, and jump out. Saves wear on the side of the seat.

cliniford

Observer
Mine are actually in good shape. I'm going with the Cabela's seat coverers to save a little wear but that won't help the bolsters any.

Brian

I went with the Cabelas seat covers myself to protect my 03' Dodge seats as I was doing concrete work at the time. 5 years later and the seat covers are still in great shape. Can't beat em for the price!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I need a solution. After the 37's and 5" lift it's a climb to get in. Not too bad on level ground but on a side hill it can get tough to get in/out. I think rock sliders and a handle will save my steering column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier