seat relocation for more leg room on suburban questions.

syoungs

So with my new suburban, I find myself missing the way my ford drives, you dont sit so close to the wheel, and have plenty of room for legs, I am 6'4, and kinda squished in as it is now, before I go fabbing something to move the seat further back, is there any off the shelf items I can purchase to do it? not having much luck with google search, not really sure what to be searching for as well though.

I think moving it back 6" would probably be ok, 10" would be better though.

Wellp, 6'4" ain't too shabby!!

At 6'8" I have to kick out my right knee to run the skinny pedal in our Yukon, we have a 1997 because after the OBS left, every SUV has a huge center console for some reason. I also know that having a passenger's knee close to the dash means that the passenger stays in place in an accident. We looked at the 4 door Jeeps when they were new but my knee was shoved into the console and dash beyond comfort.

In my 1992 XJ I moved the seat back as well, I looked at fabbing a bunch of bracketry but finally just tried moving the front seat frame mounts to the rear floor mounts. Turned out to be about 12". It was almost too much but I was able to press the clutch all the way down, but nobody else could hardly reach the accelerator! I simply drilled two rear seat mount holes in the floor and nut/bolted them. Those mounts were pretty flat and so was the floor, not sure on the Burbs yet as I have seen another member here that mounted a floor jack under the passenger seat (below the truck), and at first glance it looks like it is raised higher than the rest of the floor. Also consider that if you move the front seat back then you may not be able to fold the second row forward, I know our Yukon has to move the seats slightly forward from fully back, to be able to get the second row folded flat.

Here is a picture of my XJ seat fully forward after I moved the frame rearward and remounted. When fully back in the frame I could strech out comfortable enough to sleep in the drivers seat, however it was a 2 door so it had more room than the normal 4 door model to begin with.

IMG_0663.jpg

You may also notice that I had to extend the shift lever about 6" with a long bolt and a stack of washers!

My wife never drove the XJ but consider if anybody else may ever drive the burb that has little people legs and can't reach the pedals even with the seat fully forward.

Snap a picture of the front row seats if you get time, I am curious about the "custom" center seat and console you mentioned?

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 7

syoungs

im should be picking it up tonight, both of us had to get out titles and stuff last night, so we just waited till today to swap as it was pretty late last night, and I was pressed for time. I will def get some pics of the seat though, its the only one I have ever seen, I really like the setup.
After driving the burb more I may get used to the seat position, if not I will probably end up fabbing some sort of braket for it. good point about folding the rear seats forward! never even crossed my mind, I think If I keep the extension less then a foot, I should be able to push the seat far enough forward to get the rear seats to lay down, until I really get a good look at the mounts and stuff though I wont know.

syoungs

Got the burban home, and the guy traded me a set of atv ramps for a front winch bumper!

After playing with the seat some, I got it to move back further then yesterday, so no extensions needed.

Here's some pics of the middle seat, it is on a slide mechanisim like the other front seats. I'm not so sure its aftermarket, or he meant he got it at a junkyard and installed it, first one ive seen though

Get tabs tomorrow. Pretty excited to start driving it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior